Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm looking to move to NY and Brighton seems like a very good place for me in terms of political views, safety, and diversity (according to Niche.com), but before I decide to up and move here, I'd like to get some input from the Black and Brown women who live in Brighton.

While I understand that this post may seem discriminatory, the fact is that white women do not experience life the same way black women and other women with darker color skin experience life in the US, and therefore may not be able to attest to the real trials and issues living in this kind of neighborhood can bring.

I would like to have an accurate view of those issues before moving to Brighton, NY.

Thanks for your understanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 02:28 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
I certainly don't fit what you are looking for, but as I don't believe their are any or many Black or Brown women currently on the Rochester forum to answer for you. First, I would say Rochester in general is not a bad place for you. It was the home to Frederick Douglas and Susan B. Anthony. Brighton leans predominantly democrat and of Jewish faith. It's probably the best choice, although you would be fine with almost any suburb, except for politics.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Politics

Niche.com said Brighton leaned a bit more moderate in terms of politics, which is what drew me to the area, but you're saying it's more liberal leaning, so which one is correct?

If it's more liberal, then honestly I would rather live in an area that has more black and brown women and is liberal than an area that is predom white and liberal.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:25 PM

93,225 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I think you would be fine. Brighton itself is known for its relatively large Asian and Jewish populations, with a visible black population(about 2,200 out of a town of 36,000). It’s school district is a long time participant of the Urban-Suburban School program, which is a voluntary school integration program.

I actually have a female sibling that has a family in the area that lives in Chili(Gates-Chili SD, but kids graduated from Allendale Columbia), which would be another good choice. Other suburban towns such as Henrietta, Irondequoit, Gates and Greece are others that are more culturally diverse, but black people live all over to some degree in the suburbs and even in select rural/small towns.

In fact, I believe Henrietta has a black council member, a largely middle class black population that makes up a solid 10.6% of the town’s population and it is a population that has been visible in that town for decades. Only Gates(11.5%) has a higher percentage for suburban towns. Henrietta also has a lot of big box shopping and is close to highway access. It is actually adjacent to Brighton to the south. So, that may be another town to consider(dare I say, it would be the suburban town I would prefer).

Some more information: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045219

Henrietta town board: https://www.henrietta.org/bc-tb
Rush-Henrietta administration: https://www.rhnet.org/Page/30 (inc. Superintendent)

Irondequoit town board: https://www.irondequoit.org/government/town-board/
East Irondequoit Board of Ed: https://www.eastiron.org/Page/5940

Gates-Chili Board of Ed: https://www.gateschili.org/Page/17342

Greece Board of Ed: https://www.greececsd.org/site/defau...andedView=True

Brighton town board: https://www.townofbrighton.org/598/Town-Board

Another indicator that is good to use is to look at say school sports teams from said towns, as that can be a way to let you know if there is some cultural diversity in a town/school district. There are also NYSED Report Cards that includes demographics for school districts/schools.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2021 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 10:03 AM

Default It helps a bit...

Hello,

Schools aren't really an accurate representation of the diversity of the town. I attend a university whose sports team is black, but the student body population and the town itself are still predominantly white.

Honestly, 2200 Black people out of a total population of 36,000 people is an indicator of a problem to me, not diversity, especially in middle class to more affluent neighborhoods. It tells me that Black people are actually priced out of those neighborhoods, not welcomed in them.

While I have nothing against Asians or Jewish people, they aren't Black, which is why I asked specifically for Black women, since white, Asian, and Jewish women can't speak for racial experience or the economic opportunities that Black women have in a town like Brighton.

Nice try, though.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:44 AM

^ I wasn’t talking about a university or college, but the public schools. A university or college wouldn’t make sense to use as an example, as students aren’t permanent residents or at least in the same context. My point was more in regards to a presence.

As for the population, it could be as much a matter of choice and location. Given that Rochester’s black population historically has been concentrated in its NE and SW Quadrants(quite a few in its NW Quadrant especially in inner neighborhoods), it makes sense that its Western suburbs and Irondequoit are towns with higher percentages. Henrietta is a little different in that it is a second ring town, but one where black middle class families were able to get into in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s in substantial numbers. So, it may be as much about suburbs black residents are in close proximity to and have historically moved to.

This doesn’t even get into the possibility of parts/some neighborhoods of Brighton having more black residents than others.

So, context and asking questions are key to the conversation.

I think what you are really looking for or should maybe ask is if there are predominantly black neighborhoods in the area. In that case, the outer 19th Ward in the SW Quadrant and the Homestead Heights neighborhood in the outer NE Quadrant both have that.

By the way, where would you be moving from?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-25-2021 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 11:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepressed View Post
..........Honestly, 2200 Black people out of a total population of 36,000 people is an indicator of a problem to me, not diversity, especially in middle class to more affluent neighborhoods. It tells me that Black people are actually priced out of those neighborhoods, not welcomed in them.

Nice try, though.

NO, it means that ANYONE who can't afford the housing is priced out of those neighborhoods, REGARDLESS of skin tone....

Nice try, though.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:13 PM

^Basically...Ironically, Brighton has actually seen a steady increase in its black population the past 20 years or so.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,480 times
I think it's quite apparent the post is trolling with race baiting and the op has no real intentions of moving to Brighton.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I think it's quite apparent the post is trolling with race baiting and the op has no real intentions of moving to Brighton.
Quite possibly true..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area