Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 10:29 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,093,071 times

Advertisements

The downtown neighborhood now has over 10,000 residents.

Rochester redevelopment gaining traction thanks to stakeholder collaboration
By:Special to the RBJ, Caurie Putnam// June 21, 2023
twitter
facebook
linkedin
pinterest
email
Last Friday, June 16, Rochester woke up to rain. Instead of canceling Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, the movie scheduled to kick off the summer Movies With a Downtown View outdoor, evening series at Parcel 5, organizers moved the event — part of the Rochester Downtown Development Corporation’s Downtown Definitely programming — to the Theater at Innovation Square in the former Xerox Tower on South Clinton Ave.

Gallina
While the change of venue may not seem entirely newsworthy — especially post-event — it represents collaboration between local stakeholders in downtown Rochester.

Collaboration driving downtown revitalization
“We’re all getting our momentum back,” said Evan Gallina, partner at Gallina Development Corporation, which owns Innovation Square. “The pandemic slowed things down, but we are all starting to grow together. There’s a sense of all of us working together and, when appropriate, a friendly competition that’s healthy.”

Amanda P. Shisler, vice president, commercial real estate relationship manager for Evans Bank, also experiences that collaboration firsthand. This spring the bank teamed up with Serendipity Labs — a private office and flexible coworking space within Innovation Square — to provide free Lunch and Learn sessions on myriad topics such as commercial insurance, wealth management and homeownership.

Some attendees are among the record number of 10,000+ residents who currently live downtown, including at Innovation Square — a creative living and learning space designed as a collaborative campus for students attending Rochester’s many colleges and universities.

Shisler
“We love our partnership with Serendipity Labs at Innovation Square,” said Shisler, who notes that millennials and members of Generation Z are hungry for experiences that have a lifelong learning component and communal feel.

Evans Bank is also one of many employers that participates in CollegeFEST at Innovation Square. Founded in 2021, the event (which will be held on September 23) is a Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce program. It draws about 1,000 local college students and recent alumni downtown for a career fair, games, live entertainment, food trucks, and hands-on activities from member businesses and organizations.

“CollegeFEST plays a vital role in bridging the gap between our talented college students and local employers, creating valuable connections that can lead to meaningful career opportunities,” said Bob Duffy, president and CEO of the Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce, who notes another goal of CollegeFEST is to keep Rochester’s college students living and working downtown.

Building for the future
Duffy believes downtown must continue to “build for the future” and “focus on the next generation,” which he sees happening in many current projects, including the 90,000 square-foot expansion of the Strong National Museum of Play, which celebrates its grand opening on June 30, 2023; the planned creation of the NYS Park at High Falls; and the continued improvement of the ROC City Skatepark and other Roc the Riverway projects.

ROC the Riverway, which began in 2018 with a $50 million investment from New York State, is aimed at revitalizing the Genesee River corridor for economic and recreational purposes. There are over two dozen transformational projects completed, in the works, or planned — the most recently started being the Aqueduct District Street Improvement project (separate from the Aqueduct Reimagined project).

Brooks
Galin Brooks, president and CEO of the Rochester Downtown Development Corporation, is also excited about the work and attention being paid to parks in public spaces downtown, like the Charles Carroll Plaza revitalization project (part of ROC the Riverway) which is slated to wrap up in Spring 2024 and will include a pedestrian walkway over the river, public art, and open green and recreation spaces.

“It is tangible and material and near term in terms of the ROC the Riverway implementation that’s been moving along at a steady clip,” Brooks said. “Then there’s also the longer-term work to get the rest of the projects done and to focus on and do a thoughtful job with the Inner Loop North removal that’s a really big infrastructure project.”

The Inner Loop North project will convert the moat-like highway on Rochester’s north side into 25 acres for redevelopment and a reconnection with neighborhoods that were severed from downtown 60 years ago. Work is expected to begin in 2024 and is four times larger than the completed Inner Loop East project.

“It’s a big chunk of space and it’s really exciting for the city as a whole,” Brooks said. “It’s a project to address a scar in the city that shouldn’t have been put there in the first place.”

Acknowledging challenges
With all the activity, growth and collaboration happening downtown, local stakeholders acknowledge there are challenges that remain.

“First and foremost, you have the reality — and perception — of crime,” said Duffy, who noted that statistically, downtown is one of the safest places in the city, but that it is important to discuss ways to enhance public safety.

Duffy supports bringing back Rochester’s Red Shirts — unarmed, retired and off-duty police officers, who patrolled the city on bicycles or on foot offering directions and assistance to the public from 2007 to 2015.

Brooks noted the lack of a grocery store and pharmacy downtown as an enormous challenge for current residents — a third of whom live in subsidized housing or regulated affordable housing.

“It’s a real barrier that is impeding the quality of life for the people who live in the downtown core and anyone who lives in a food desert,” Brooks said. “It is definitely an issue and something that, despite it, people still want to be here and people are choosing to live here. But it’s a pretty basic human need that needs to be addressed.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 10:40 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I thought that there was a grocery store planned for Downtown some years back?

Old 06-22-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I thought that there was a grocery store planned for Downtown some years back?
There was one on Winthrop st for about 7 years, I think. It was called Harts, reminiscent of the old Harts chain of stores, and closed about a year ago. Before that, Wegmans had a store in Midtown Plaza. Downtown had 60,000 employees back then and many people would do their shopping on their lunch break.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:40 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
There was one on Winthrop St for about 7 years, I think. It was called Harts, reminiscent of the old Harts chain of stores, and closed about a year ago. Before that, Wegmans had a store in Midtown Plaza. Downtown had 60,000 employees back then and many people would do their shopping on their lunch break.
That building that Hart's occupied, had a long history in Rochester's automotive scene. In it's early years, it was part of Hallman Chevrolet's body shop and truck service department. When Hallman's closed shop, in the late 80s, the building was taken over by "high end" import car service emporium, 'Craig Autometrics'. When the owner, Burch Craig retired, the building was reconfigured, somewhat awkwardly, into Hart's Grocery.

Anyone who has been in the Rochester area for any length of time, will remember the old 'Star Markets' chain of stores. If I remember correctly, in the "old days", the chain was originally known as 'Star Harts', but I don't know if those Harts were related to those in the Winthrop Street location of recent years.

About 10 years ago, or so, there was a grocery store that opened with a splash, in the College Town complex, then shortly faded away. It was known as 'Constantino's'...............

And I can still recall the wonderful aromas of cheeses and beefsticks that emanated from the entrance of the Wegmans Midtown Plaza store. It was like 'Hickory Farms' on steroids.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That building that Hart's occupied, had a long history in Rochester's automotive scene. In it's early years, it was part of Hallman Chevrolet's body shop and truck service department. When Hallman's closed shop, in the late 80s, the building was taken over by "high end" import car service emporium, 'Craig Autometrics'. When the owner, Burch Craig retired, the building was reconfigured, somewhat awkwardly, into Hart's Grocery.

Anyone who has been in the Rochester area for any length of time, will remember the old 'Star Markets' chain of stores. If I remember correctly, in the "old days", the chain was originally known as 'Star Harts', but I don't know if those Harts were related to those in the Winthrop Street location of recent years.

About 10 years ago, or so, there was a grocery store that opened with a splash, in the College Town complex, then shortly faded away. It was known as 'Constantino's'...............

And I can still recall the wonderful aromas of cheeses and beefsticks that emanated from the entrance of the Wegmans Midtown Plaza store. It was like 'Hickory Farms' on steroids.
Yes, Harts was owned by Star Markets, and eventually were phased out. I believe there were about 35 locations, the size of a 7-11, but with full butcher shops. Star turned into Apples, and eventually died off.

Constantino's lasted as long as the subsidy did. CTHK, take note.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:07 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Hart's must be the one I'm thinking of, as I remember posters talking about it over a decade ago on here. Here is an article about what happened: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ed/3134563002/

Old 06-23-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hart's must be the one I'm thinking of, as I remember posters talking about it over a decade ago on here. Here is an article about what happened: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ed/3134563002/
It's rather ironic that the article mentioned Hegedorn's, in Webster, as Hegedorn's is now in the process of closing, too.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:37 AM

118 posts, read 48,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, Harts was owned by Star Markets, and eventually were phased out. I believe there were about 35 locations, the size of a 7-11, but with full butcher shops. Star turned into Apples, and eventually died off.

Constantino's lasted as long as the subsidy did. CTHK, take note.
I don’t recall a Star Market and Hart’s connection or where the latter was prominently located. Star Markets were full line grocery stores much larger than 7-11 convenience stores. Most supermarkets built prior to today’s super 100K + sq ft Wegmans were in the 30 - 60k sq ft range, so are smaller by today’s standards but comparable in size to specialty grocers such as the new Whole Foods in Brighton. Early Wegmans, Star, A&P, and Park Edge with this size print from back in the day come to mind. IGA from what I recall was a bit smaller.

Perhaps Star may be best remembered for their green stamp program in the 60’s for which it was easy to collect enough to trade in for some nice appliances and furnishings. I remember a lot of stuff that my family and our neighbors acquired with those stamps.

Nonetheless, they were purchased by Bells out of Buffalo around 81ish. Most of the stores were converted to Bells and a few were closed. I don’t know if Apples was part of Bells as I believe a few of the Star locations did become Apples, but the vast majority became Bells.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
I don’t recall a Star Market and Hart’s connection or where the latter was prominently located. Star Markets were full line grocery stores much larger than 7-11 convenience stores. Most supermarkets built prior to today’s super 100K + sq ft Wegmans were in the 30 - 60k sq ft range, so are smaller by today’s standards but comparable in size to specialty grocers such as the new Whole Foods in Brighton. Early Wegmans, Star, A&P, and Park Edge with this size print from back in the day come to mind. IGA from what I recall was a bit smaller.

Perhaps Star may be best remembered for their green stamp program in the 60’s for which it was easy to collect enough to trade in for some nice appliances and furnishings. I remember a lot of stuff that my family and our neighbors acquired with those stamps.

Nonetheless, they were purchased by Bells out of Buffalo around 81ish. Most of the stores were converted to Bells and a few were closed. I don’t know if Apples was part of Bells as I believe a few of the Star locations did become Apples, but the vast majority became Bells.
Actually Star Market gave out the Top Value Stamps, and they were goldish. Wegmans gave out the Green Stamps

Old 06-23-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post

I do remember that some of the Star markets were taken over as Apples, which, in turn, closed up after a few years. My family came to the Rochester area at the end of 1957, and in early 1958, we moved into a rental for a couple of years, that was located directly across the street from the Star Market warehouse. Somewhere in that timeframe, I distinctly remember the operation referred to as "Star-Harts", but it soon thereafter was simply Star Markets.

Living on the east side of town, I recall a Star Market near the corner of East Ave and Winton Rd, which is now where Wegmans is located, along with a Star Market on Culver Rd, near Merchants Rd, which later moved to Empire Plaza, as well as a Star Market in Culver Ridge Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area