Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 05:44 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I do remember that some of the Star markets were taken over as Apples, which, in turn, closed up after a few years. My family came to the Rochester area at the end of 1957, and in early 1958, we moved into a rental for a couple of years, that was located directly across the street from the Star Market warehouse. Somewhere in that timeframe, I distinctly remember the operation referred to as "Star-Harts", but it soon thereafter was simply Star Markets.

Living on the east side of town, I recall a Star Market near the corner of East Ave and Winton Rd, which is now where Wegmans is located, along with a Star Market on Culver Rd, near Merchants Rd, which later moved to Empire Plaza, as well as a Star Market in Culver Ridge Plaza.
I believe their warehouse was on Humbolt st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 06:10 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Actually Star Market gave out the Top Value Stamps, and they were goldish. Wegmans gave out the Green Stamps
I remember Top Value but not the color and SH green stamps. We lived 2 blocks from a Star market and also did a lot of shopping at A&P, and then Park Edge in the late 60’s. I wonder if A&P had S&H green stamps because we weren’t shopping at Wegmans at that time at least not regularly. Park Edge didn’t give out stamps but they had outstanding quality food and produce, and was the place to shop.

I think the stamp redemption location was either in Southtown Plaza or W. Ridge before Mt. Read or maybe there were two.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:26 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I believe their warehouse was on Humbolt St.
Yes, it was. As far as I know, the building is still there, and has been re-purposed, but I haven't been past there in a number of years.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:49 AM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Quote:
I do remember that some of the Star markets were taken over as Apples, which, in turn, closed up after a few years. My family came to the Rochester area at the end of 1957, and in early 1958, we moved into a rental for a couple of years, that was located directly across the street from the Star Market warehouse. Somewhere in that timeframe, I distinctly remember the operation referred to as "Star-Harts", but it soon thereafter was simply Star Markets.

Living on the east side of town, I recall a Star Market near the corner of East Ave and Winton Rd, which is now where Wegmans is located, along with a Star Market on Culver Rd, near Merchants Rd, which later moved to Empire Plaza, as well as a Star Market in Culver Ridge Plaza.
I didn’t remember Harts stores but vaguely recalled the name. Perhaps it was because of the mention that a long time grocer in a kind of nostalgic throwback twist had returned to its roots with the opening of a small downtown grocery store.

Remarkably, as I’m just learning there were apparently more than 100 locations in the city 100 years ago in the 1920’s, so they must have had a stranglehold on the market no pun intended. I guess those would have had to have 7-11 sized back then. With that heavy of a footprint, it would seem no family could have been more than a couple of steps from one. I envision a lot of folks pushing a couple of bags home in those 2 wheeled foldable carriers, that I do remember seeing of few of as a kid. Deliveries were probably popular too.

I think I have some scant recollection from the elders making reference to a Hart’s on Clarissa Street as they would often reminisce about various landmarks of what stood on this or that corner of our hood.

I do believe that crossing a 10,000 resident threshold downtown is a major feat for the city. Moreover, with the growth being driven by higher incomes, the critical mass and demographics downtown suggest a store like Hart’s should be able to succeed. Thus, I wonder if it was just premature timing when they opened 9 years ago. The fact that they were able to remain open for 5 years might say something. I was no longer living in the area and didn’t have a chance to check it out, but now wished I had out of curiosity.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:43 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
I didn’t remember Harts stores but vaguely recalled the name. Perhaps it was because of the mention that a long time grocer in a kind of nostalgic throwback twist had returned to its roots with the opening of a small downtown grocery store.

Remarkably, as I’m just learning there were apparently more than 100 locations in the city 100 years ago in the 1920’s, so they must have had a stranglehold on the market no pun intended. I guess those would have had to have 7-11 sized back then. With that heavy of a footprint, it would seem no family could have been more than a couple of steps from one. I envision a lot of folks pushing a couple of bags home in those 2 wheeled foldable carriers, that I do remember seeing of few of as a kid. Deliveries were probably popular too.

I think I have some scant recollection from the elders making reference to a Hart’s on Clarissa Street as they would often reminisce about various landmarks of what stood on this or that corner of our hood.

I do believe that crossing a 10,000 resident threshold downtown is a major feat for the city. Moreover, with the growth being driven by higher incomes, the critical mass and demographics downtown suggest a store like Hart’s should be able to succeed. Thus, I wonder if it was just premature timing when they opened 9 years ago. The fact that they were able to remain open for 5 years might say something. I was no longer living in the area and didn’t have a chance to check it out, but now wished I had out of curiosity.
My dad worked for Harts, and later Star Market, so a lot of what I know is from Dinner table conversations. They were located on so many street corners, as well as small villages such as Honeyoe Falls and Lima. To have a new "Harts" that was in all the neighborhoods, and where most could walk to it would work wonders in the city. It would have to be a professional operation though. Not sure if it would be worth it for someone to try, in this current environment.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:

The Star market my family patronized was in the small strip mall located between Main Street and Merchants Rd. just west of Winton.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:33 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The Star market my family patronized was in the small strip mall located between Main Street and Merchants Rd. just west of Winton.
Good memory! I forgot about that plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area