Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2023, 05:33 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times

Advertisements

The Roc did pretty good by this study. Only 10 to San Jose.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pe...e295023e&ei=19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 11:52 AM

507 posts, read 343,234 times
That was interesting to look through, thanks for posting it. The data covers 2015-2019. I'd love to know the numbers for 2020 to present!

In the general NY forum there's been some complaining about an influx of newcomers in parts of the state. Have you all in the Rochester area noticed any changes since the pandemic relocation frenzy? Or does the population seem the same as before?

Old 10-27-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
That was interesting to look through, thanks for posting it. The data covers 2015-2019. I'd love to know the numbers for 2020 to present!

In the general NY forum there's been some complaining about an influx of newcomers in parts of the state. Have you all in the Rochester area noticed any changes since the pandemic relocation frenzy? Or does the population seem the same as before?
Hard to judge. House prices are up, and they are selling rapidly, especially Pittsford which is #1 in the nation for quick sales. Most houses never even get a sign out front before they're sold. During the covid thing I had a house for rent and I got inquiries from LA, San Fransico and NYC.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Hard to judge. House prices are up, and they are selling rapidly, especially Pittsford which is #1 in the nation for quick sales. Most houses never even get a sign out front before they're sold. During the covid thing I had a house for rent and I got inquiries from LA, San Fransico and NYC.
Wow that's interesting about the rental inquiries.

Ugh I hate how much I seem to love Pittsford. I'm looking to buy next year so watching the market closely and so many of the houses and neighborhoods I like best seem to be in Pittsford. As you noted, Pittsford is an extraordinarily competitive market for buyers AND the property taxes are very high which I'm trying to avoid. Honestly the house prices are not bad though, probably somewhat suppressed due to the high taxes?

You mentioned most houses never have a sign out front before they're sold. Do you think many sales are happening without the home actually being listed, just secret deals between realtors? We are hesitant to use a buyers agent because of horrible past experiences but we do see the potential value of a good buyers agent in this brutal sellers market...

Old 10-27-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Wow that's interesting about the rental inquiries.

Ugh I hate how much I seem to love Pittsford. I'm looking to buy next year so watching the market closely and so many of the houses and neighborhoods I like best seem to be in Pittsford. As you noted, Pittsford is an extraordinarily competitive market for buyers AND the property taxes are very high which I'm trying to avoid. Honestly the house prices are not bad though, probably somewhat suppressed due to the high taxes?

You mentioned most houses never have a sign out front before they're sold. Do you think many sales are happening without the home actually being listed, just secret deals between realtors? We are hesitant to use a buyers agent because of horrible past experiences but we do see the potential value of a good buyers agent in this brutal sellers market...
I know some people who have been looking for years, and keep getting beat out. There are a ton of those kinds of people who are just fed up with looking and offer way over the asking price. Any decent realtor probably has a dozen or more of those kind of people.

There are plenty of not as pricey homes in Pittsford. Good luck. Why not expand your range to Victor or Mendon, even Rush?

Old 10-27-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I know some people who have been looking for years, and keep getting beat out. There are a ton of those kinds of people who are just fed up with looking and offer way over the asking price. Any decent realtor probably has a dozen or more of those kind of people.

There are plenty of not as pricey homes in Pittsford. Good luck. Why not expand your range to Victor or Mendon, even Rush?
We are looking at Rochester suburbs down through Ontario county and also the Corning and Skaneateles areas. Victor, Mendon, or Rush would be great. But in regards to your info above I suppose we should try not to get our hopes up. I know you are absolutely right there are people who have been trying for years and keep getting out-bid.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:46 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
We are looking at Rochester suburbs down through Ontario county and also the Corning and Skaneateles areas. Victor, Mendon, or Rush would be great. But in regards to your info above I suppose we should try not to get our hopes up. I know you are absolutely right there are people who have been trying for years and keep getting out-bid.
Only because it was mentioned, I would say to look in some adjacent nearby communities as well. I dare say, if open to it, even Auburn around Hoopes Park/in between East Genesee St. & Franklin Ave., which would put you only minutes from Skaneateles and the Lake Avenue area going towards Owasco Lake/Emerson Park/the Merry Go Round Theatre would be some nice parts of that city to look into. Just to offer some perspective: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hoop...!3e0?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lake...!3e0?entry=ttu

There's also Marcellus, parts of the Jordan-Elbridge area, Camillus and even Weedsport, in which the last community would also give you easy access to the Thruway, are others not too far away that are worth looking into.

As for the actual topic, the article isn't available anymore.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-01-2023 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area