Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,617 times

Advertisements

I have to put my plug in for Webster. After doing tons of research then a real estate tour, we chose to buy a house there. Close proximity to everything, and, well, yes, we are in utter suburbia - but the neighborhood is so clean, quiet and friendly who can complain? The proximity to the marina area is exciting... we may end up getting a boat. The schools are still considered superior, although they aren't touted as much as the "P's". After looking at houses in the 250K range, you definitely get a better deal in Webster or Perinton. Pittsford and Brighton houses in that range need at least some cosmetic work, probably more, ie new roof, windows etc. Just thought I'd throw in my experience (which albeit is much less than the rochester veterans on the board).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
If I was moving into the Rochester area I would certainly look into settling in Brighton as the school district rates consistently as one of the tops in the entire country. Yes, the taxes reflect it, but you get what you pay for. If you're into private, there's Allendale-Columbia and Harley which are top-notch and are not affected by the utterly ridiculous, mind-numbing assessment testing that every kid in the public school system is presently being tortured by....(sorry, my fav soapbax: the No Child Left Behind act = total hogwash

Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Most of the schools in the suburbs are good to excellent. But you need to do your research and decide what's best for you personally. Pittsford makes Newsweeks top 100 list fairly regularly. Brighton is well regarded. Victor seems to be upcoming. Hilton and Honeoye Falls both have good stats and I see some newer Greece properties with Hilton (not Greece) schools. You probably can't go wrong with any of the recommendations seen in this post with the exception of Canadagua which I personally haven't seen anything to support that they have a good school district, plus it's a fairly sizable commute to Rochester. But keep in mind this is just the personal opinion of a parent with three small children.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,841 times
Smile Ontario is Great!

My husband and I moved to Ontario (19 mi E. of Rochester) about 9 yrs ago from Garland, TX (22 mi from Big D). It's about a 20-40 minute commute to the city depending on green lights. We live in a neighborhood with about 15 other houses the same value on a 1/2 acre lot about a mile and a half from Lake Ontario. Even though it's Wayne County (lower taxes than Webster!) the schools are excellent (better than Webster in my opinion) because we don't get the big city influence. Our kids come from Orchards and farms and (new) semi-suburban neighborhoods near the town that seem to be sprouting up like everything that grows around here! We have parks, skiing, boating, fishing, city entertainment, shopping malls. The grocery store is 5 min. from my house by car, but as I look out my window, I see a Barn and fields and Orchards.

From Rochester, take a drive on 104 East towards Webster, to Bay Rd, left on Bay to Lake Rd and Right on Lake Rd....the drive to Ontario (and ultimately, Sodus Bay) is beautiful! Especially in May when the orchards are in bloom! Turn rt. on Furnace Road until you get back to 104 and turn right on 104 to go back to Rochester. There! You've made a circle and seen our beautiful countryside! Good Luck! Friendly people make friends WHEREVER they go and country people are friendly indeed.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,841 times
Why do native Rochester area residents tend to neglect to mention Ontario? Probably because they don't travel East as often? They mention all the overpopulated towns W of Rochester, but E. of Rochester is some of the most beautiful Real estate in in world, especially near the Lake at Apple blossom time! It's only about 20 or so miles from city center, and the communities that are sprouting up there lately, are high class and beautiful.

20 miles is NOTHING if you come from Dallas, say.. or California or Atlanta or Houston. In less than 10 minutes in any direction from my 9 yr old, 4 BR, 2300 sq ft house, on 1/2 acre ($220K), I can launch a boat, do my grocery shopping (5 min) , get fresh fruit and produce off the farm, shop in the new Mall in Webster, get the kids from school, go to at least 4-5 parks and more! Add another ten minutes to that & I can go the the Eastman Theatre and hear a symphonic orchestra live, eat in a five star restaurant and enjoy other culteral events! Distance is only a matter of attitude -- less than 25 miles is nothing these days! Rochesterians I've talked to lately, tend to be small thinking sometimes, probably because many of them have never lived anywhere else. They often think something is FAR when it's not far at all to the rest of the world. I laugh when I hear the comments to questions about where I live. It's further to Canandaugua for heaven sake from the city than it is to Ontario! Here's a plug to the North EAST side!
/j/

Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I think I've heard about 10 times more conversation on this forum about the east side of the Rochester metro than the west side. So I don't agree with you on that....you're right that Wayne County doesn't get mentioned too often though (Ontario County on the other hand seems to get a decent amount of interest on this forum as well)

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Gates Chili or Greece

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM

54 posts, read 274,232 times
move to geneseo NY great small town 30min south of rochester NY. the school is small but great + has a lot to offer (such as hillside) (they help special needs children) . ps geneseo is in livingston county. visit the town/village website http://www.geneseony.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area