Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM

36 posts, read 118,737 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to upstate Ny. It is very difficult to decide where after reading so many things, some negative and positive. I have requested information on Buffalo and Albany, but Albany is a no no, after all the things that I have read. I am a 27 yrs old currently residing in Central PA. Originally I was raised in NYC and cant get used to this sendentary life style of Central PA (there is nothing to do), no good museums, theaters, lack of culture, nothing for kids unless you travel 2hrs. I have never been to Rochester. I am looking for a decent place to live, moderate rent, good school district because I have a 6yrs old and would be going to college myself. I would be looking for employment in the Human Services field.

Any suggestions in the Rochester area or sorroundings??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
The East side of Rochester or Penfield are both good areas. The city itself has museums, parks, theaters, and plenty of restaurants.

Most areas east of Culver or south of University are good places to live. Park ave is a little uppity, and there are plenty of shops to walk around to. Winton rd north of the 490 will be a good place and your going to have all your amenities close by.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
If you read all of my posts you will know I am an East Side Girl... I grew up in Fairport and love it there. I live in the Penfield area now and think it is a great place to live too, not UN-happy with it... but I am always trying to get back to Fairport. I think Fairport has a better Park and Rec program with more programs and better kept up parks and equiptment for the kids to play on than Penfield. The REC Center in Perinton is top notch and the indoor pool/splash area/lazy river is amazing! The Trail System is great for hiking..... It is a wonderful place to raise a family.... In terms of schools... I am very active in my child's school and I know they are often in competition with Fairport.... in terms of scores. I think they are on Par with one another. I love the school my daughter is in and think Penfield has an amazing school system. My youngest was even recieving special education services for Speech as a Preschooler through the District and they did a great job! I had no trouble and they bent over backwards to help us. Home prices are similar in both towns.... Taxes might be a tad lower in PERINTON but higher in the VILLAGE OF FAIRPORT (they are the same school)... Fairport Village taxes will include things like garbage and other things.... Fairport/Perinton also has Fairport Electric. SOME parts of Penfield and Pittsford will have Fairport Electric as well if you are lucky. Again- this is all EAST SIDE information.... All different kinds of homes in different price ranges....

I also lived in BRIGHTON- which is somewhat of a CITY feel to it and you might enjoy if you like that feel. They are smaller lots and the area is very "walkable". It is an AMAZING school district and you can walk to Pittsford Plaza in one direction depending on where you live and then up Monroe Ave to Cobbs Hill or trek it into Park Ave if you REALLY want a hike (I used to do this from 12 Corners area when I lived there).... you really have to like to walk if you want to do that though (I did).... Smaller homes on smaller lots... a bit higher taxes and they might need some more love...

Anyway- The City is what you make of it. There are a lot of AMAZING things to do here... it is a very family friendly City.... Check out the ROCHESTER ON A POSITIVE NOTE thread....

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM

36 posts, read 118,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
If you read all of my posts you will know I am an East Side Girl... I grew up in Fairport and love it there. I live in the Penfield area now and think it is a great place to live too, not UN-happy with it... but I am always trying to get back to Fairport. I think Fairport has a better Park and Rec program with more programs and better kept up parks and equiptment for the kids to play on than Penfield. The REC Center in Perinton is top notch and the indoor pool/splash area/lazy river is amazing! The Trail System is great for hiking..... It is a wonderful place to raise a family.... In terms of schools... I am very active in my child's school and I know they are often in competition with Fairport.... in terms of scores. I think they are on Par with one another. I love the school my daughter is in and think Penfield has an amazing school system. My youngest was even recieving special education services for Speech as a Preschooler through the District and they did a great job! I had no trouble and they bent over backwards to help us. Home prices are similar in both towns.... Taxes might be a tad lower in PERINTON but higher in the VILLAGE OF FAIRPORT (they are the same school)... Fairport Village taxes will include things like garbage and other things.... Fairport/Perinton also has Fairport Electric. SOME parts of Penfield and Pittsford will have Fairport Electric as well if you are lucky. Again- this is all EAST SIDE information.... All different kinds of homes in different price ranges....

I also lived in BRIGHTON- which is somewhat of a CITY feel to it and you might enjoy if you like that feel. They are smaller lots and the area is very "walkable". It is an AMAZING school district and you can walk to Pittsford Plaza in one direction depending on where you live and then up Monroe Ave to Cobbs Hill or trek it into Park Ave if you REALLY want a hike (I used to do this from 12 Corners area when I lived there).... you really have to like to walk if you want to do that though (I did).... Smaller homes on smaller lots... a bit higher taxes and they might need some more love...

Anyway- The City is what you make of it. There are a lot of AMAZING things to do here... it is a very family friendly City.... Check out the ROCHESTER ON A POSITIVE NOTE thread....
Thanks , I'm going to make more research on these two towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area