Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

I'm into local pronunciations of place names. I'm curious to know what is the preferred local pronunciation of Irondequoit? Is the first I a long I? An "ih" sound, or does it start off with the word "iron"? Is the T at the end silent?

Another one... Canandaigua. I don't know where to begin with that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
Here goes my amateur pronunciation guide :

Irondequoit: Ih (as in "icky")-rahn-deh-koyt
Canandaigua: Cannon-day-gwa

Hope that helps!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
yeah he pretty much covered it. (Though sometimes you'll hear it pronounced "Ear-ahn-de-koyt" lol

Also, Chili, is not pronounced like the food; but rather like the tea and a lie...."Chye-lie", and Riga is similarly pronounced "Rye-ga"...not "Ree-ga" like the city in Latvia.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I hear many say it as "Err ron Da Quite"

Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I hear many say it as "Err ron Da Quite"
I've never heard the "quite" part at the end, and I've lived there my whole life. I've always heard it end in the "koyt" sound.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
actually, when you say it out loud really fast (as I just did much to my emberassment and the confusion of my family) you kind of do hear the "quite" at the end...."koyt" really fast, sounds like "quite".

Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Cool. Thanks for the input everyone.

Last time I was in the Rochester area I heard about the pronunciation of Chili. I'm in the area now and was curious about Irondequoit. I think the first time I saw it I guessed something like Ih-rahn-deh-quah haha.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
lammius--Go ahead and ask 'em how to pronounce Charlotte!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 31,326 times
I find that people in Irondequoit aren't aware of the fact that they place the t in the back of their throat and don't make a real t sound. irr-on-da-quite. if you also use the back of throat method for the word "quite" which most people in rochester do.

But I had a completely unrelated, but sort of relevant question: I don't live in Irondequoit anymore and have friends from a bunch of different areas in Rochester, now that I am an adult (haha) and last night I was hanging out with friends from Irondequoit and I started to wonder: does Irondequoit have its own accent, slightly different from the rest of Rochester, or speech patterns. I was hearing it. I could be crazy, but it is starting to seem that way to me.

if Rochester in general sounds like:
^-^^^^-^^^^-^-^-^-^-
Irondequoit sort of sound like:
^^^-----^-^-^----^^^^^---^^^^^^^^^^----

if that makes any sense to anyone..

Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM

51 posts, read 95,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yeah he pretty much covered it. (Though sometimes you'll hear it pronounced "Ear-ahn-de-koyt" lol

Also, Chili, is not pronounced like the food; but rather like the tea and a lie...."Chye-lie", and Riga is similarly pronounced "Rye-ga"...not "Ree-ga" like the city in Latvia.
I hear it pronounced "Ear - Ron - Da - Quoyt" (the "Quoyt" rhymes with "boy", starts with a "Qu" sound, and adds a T".
When spoken at speed, The "Ear" becomes "ur", like the first part of the word "Urn".

As far as Chili, the "i"s are hard -- "Ch - eye - lie". The theory is that the town named was based on settlers in the area who followed the religious belief of chiliasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area