Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 PM

102 posts, read 364,754 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks! I am originally from Penfield, moved to Atlanta 16 years ago, and a husband and two kids(6 & 4) later we are ready to return to Rochester! I have gotten my NYS math teaching certificate renewed and we are planning to be up there this summer. We have done our research on the "big three" schools and all seem to be very good. We would like to be in an area that values education, extra-curriculars like music and athletics, but also has a real sense of community and friendly neighborhoods. Looking for any thoughts and opinions...."I'm Informed"....hope you are out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 07:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
haha...well. I've never lived in the "East Side"....but I have a brother who lives in Pittsford and couldn't be happier with it. He is engaged to a womean who lives in Penfield....they both have daughters from previous marriages that live with them, and when they get married this summer the plan is for them to all move into his house in Pittsford because of the better schools. From the stat's I've seen......all three towns have excellent schools on Rochester, NYS, and National standards, but Brighton and Pittsford seem to be the better two. You will probably get the most house for your money in Penfield though.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks!! I was hoping you were out there! I know we could get a lot of house in the Penfield district out towards Walworth and Macedon. We would like to be closer to Rochester, however...I guess it will come down to what's available at the time! Any of the three have to be better than what we have been dealing with here...

Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM

yeah.....this whole :new south" thing.....we're definitley over it. Ready to be back in Rochester to be close to family and in a real community again. Not to mention school districts that make sense!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 PM

As a math teacher (at the high school most people consider to be the best in this area)... I completely agree!!! The school districts are one of the main reason we are heading back. Followed closely by Bill Gray's, Dons Original, and Tom Wahls......

Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
I think it all depends on your lifestyle. I grew up in Pittsford, but if I return I plan on settling in Brighton (which is where I was when I left) because I like being close to the city.

You can find affordable housing in Brighton in awesome neighborhoods. Yeah, the taxes will be high and you'll have less sq. footage than Walworth, but you'll be in the best area (again, IMHO): close to the city, close to the airport, excellent schools, excellent utilities (How fast do the plows make it to Macedon?) etc.

When you live in Brighton, everything really is 20 minutes away. Not always the case for parts of Pittsford. And if you live in certain parts of Pittsford, you're pretty far away from basics like a grocery store.

That being said, all three of the towns you listed are towns I would be very happy to live and raise a family in.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:35 PM

254 posts, read 1,057,647 times
Another opinion here I grew up in Brighton and went to Brighton HS (as did my mom and brother and sister ) My brother in law teaches AP physics at the highschool but has chosen Penfield to send his 3 children to. I am VERY jealous first of all that you are moving back to Rochester..it is our dream but sadly probably will never be a reality I like Brighton's location to the museums, art gallery the best. I like the town of Pittsford for its looks and shopping but if we were to move back (I can dream right?) I would probably choose Penfield for my children to go to school. I honestly do not think that there is a huge difference among the schools..all 3 are going to give your children an incredible education. I personally feel there is too much pressure/competition (peer and academic) put on kids in Brighton (as well as other "issues" when I was there) Pittsford is just about the same (I had lots of friends who were at both Mendon and Sutherland). I do think that Pittsford offered a bit more with their musical arts then Brighton did. Penfield seems to be the most down to earth of the 3 and I'm not sure if it is still true or not but they had much better sports programs (Brighton was pretty pathetic at the time..not sure if it is still true or not..it was always a toss up who would win the games between us and Pittsford )

My sister and brother in law live in an amazing neighborhood with so many kids and the friendlest neighbors you could ever want..every time we go there we meet new people and someone is always inviting us over for a get together. The kids all walk to school together which is nice too and they can play outside safely (she lives by Indian Landing off Penfield Rd)

My neighborhood (well my mom's house anyway) in Brighton was great neighborhood too...Homeacres right by the library (Eastland, Southerland, Westland Ave) it had a great community spirit to it

Good luck with your move

Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Thanks Melcat

Thanks so much for the input! I found your comments to be similar to what my husband and I have been thinking. How does your brother-in-law like teaching in Brighton? How's the job market look for teachers? Too bad that you aren't able to relocate...job situation?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 18,632 times
I have seen a lot posted about Brighton, Pittsford and Penfield but little about Greece. Is that a good area? What is the reputation of their schools?

Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Greece is the largest suburb of Rochester, with a population of about 95,000. It is where I grew up and in MY opinion, a great place to raise a family. I have always thought it had a stronger community feel than the more affluent and to an extent uppity east side suburbs...despite having three times the population of any of them. The schools in Greece aren't the best suburban Rochester has to offer, that is true....that distinction falls to Brighton and Pittsford; but they certainly aren't bad. You will also get much more house for your money in Greece than in Brighton or Pittsford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area