Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 AM

116 posts, read 622,193 times

Advertisements

Strange question, but I am a Time Warner customer and have been using their absolutely horrific 8000HD box for two years now. Horrific because it's buggy but more than that insanely slow while menuing around and pressing buttons. I can bring this in for the 8300HD but have read of issues with those in some older threads on the net.

Has anybody here moved from the 8000 to 8300? I need to be sure I'm not taking a step back. It's hard enough as it is not to literally bludgeon the 8000HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM

233 posts, read 685,564 times
Oh wow glad I wasn't the only one. I recently switched to 8300HD and haven't had a single problem.

With 8000HD I couldn't scroll down the list at all unless I hit page up/down; that doesn't work very well if the number of recordings on DVR is a multiple of 5. And on top of that it would show info for the wrong highlighted show. Everything was slow and glitchy. When I Fastforwarded it would randomly stop and then start again after 10 seconds. There would be lag spikes if I held down a scroll button and the list goes on.

We replaced the box multiple times and the issues were recurring.

In short, stay far away from 8000HD (the black/silver box) and upgrade to the 8300HD (silver box).

Old 12-18-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
Oh wow glad I wasn't the only one. I recently switched to 8300HD and haven't had a single problem.

With 8000HD I couldn't scroll down the list at all unless I hit page up/down; that doesn't work very well if the number of recordings on DVR is a multiple of 5. And on top of that it would show info for the wrong highlighted show. Everything was slow and glitchy. When I Fastforwarded it would randomly stop and then start again after 10 seconds. There would be lag spikes if I held down a scroll button and the list goes on.

We replaced the box multiple times and the issues were recurring.

In short, stay far away from 8000HD (the black/silver box) and upgrade to the 8300HD (silver box).
Thanks! I have reviewed the 8000HD and spoken in very awful tones about it (and Time Warner for giving it to me) for a couple of years now. I will switch, hopefully today now. Hopefully it can't be worse, anyway

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Let me know how it works. Most of my time warner products have been garbage.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,611 times
I can't remember the model. But we had a terrible box like you describe. We called and complained and they sent a guy out a week later with a new box, I would start with a phone call.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 AM

OK I went in and got the 8240, not the 8300. The lady said they are the same, which obviously they aren't, but I think perhaps the 8240 has only digital or something (didn't much check).

Anyway, it has DVI output which I am fairly sure the 8000 didn't. It has the same navigation system/menuing. The remote I got is a tiny bit worse. Looks the same but the button depressions are less meaningful.

However, this box is MUCH better than the 8000. I have not used it long enough to pick up on any new, but on the main measure of importance, speed, it is much better. When I turn it on in the morning it is ready to go in a few seconds instead of the 10 (?) that the 8000 took before actually responding to commands. Also, general navigating around, tuning into channels, etc. its delays are half or perhaps even less than on the 8000 (really). They still exist but the experience overall is just much better.

Now I should warn that I've read others online with problems with all of the boxes, so your mileage may vary but personally the 8240 has been much, much better than the 8000.

Change was painless. I brought the 8000 in to the Time Warner office on commercial street in east rochester, told her it was infuriatingly slow, and she gave me the 8240.

FYI, and I've not bothered looking into it, but apparently the USB port on the front is to support an external HD for additional video storage. There are threads on the net about this if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area