Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 PM

115 posts, read 326,952 times

Advertisements

I have been working on this for months and have found how easily adapted Rochester can be to support a Light Rail, and how it could reignite the development in this city. The route would go from the Airport to Downtown, utilizing open public land along the Genesee river (google street view confirms this) and connect the established districts along the way, as well as redeveloping the lower downtown(This same idea has been done in Denver, CO to great success and also made possible with the advent of a Light Rail.) area to be a pedestrian friendly, condensed mixed development area. Rochester's landscape allows for the cheapest form of light rail track, ground level. At roughly 30 million a mile, this could be accomplished for under 200 million. Thats a figure that should look familiar to Rochester residents, if not higher, as many public projects that suit only a special interest are of the same cost as this Infrastructure building project that would benefit Rochester as a whole, but I digress.

What areas would be along the track? The direct path the Genesee river carves into downtown and that reaches The Airport, University of Rochester, South Wedge, Corn Hill, Lower Downtown, High Falls, St.Paul/Andrews, Blue Cross Arena. Few above ground track would be needed to make it through the heart of downtown. Let's remember the many big name hotels and our large convention center that would greatly benefit from the downtown stations, but more so, the connection to the Airport, among the other areas, and in turn would bring more business into Rochester.

Use of the Inner loop and the wide medians within it which is also easily adaptable will allow access to University art walk/Village Gate, East End, Park Avenue, and Monroe Avenue. Also it could provide a means to reach Frontier Field, as access to stadiums is another constant in successful implementations of Light Rail systems from what I have found in my research.

I have lived here for 20 years and I believe Rochester deserves better. The blunders in the planning are impossible to ignore and the kind of money thrown around in the past for nonsensical projects (fast ferry anyone?) could afford something like this and more. This city needs to purge itself of the corrupt politicians that have no vision and aim to be more Progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM

200 posts, read 604,816 times
I like it. It makes sense. I think this, if it gets legs, could lead to some smart growth downtown. Now, like you said, lets see we can get the old guard out of this town and get a few forward thinking folks in office who might make something like this work.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
I like it. It makes sense. I think this, if it gets legs, could lead to some smart growth downtown. Now, like you said, lets see we can get the old guard out of this town and get a few forward thinking folks in office who might make something like this work.
The problem does seem to be the local government but which positions exactly are the ones to focus on? Who would make this call? I had thought it was city council but there seems to be more to it.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:00 PM

233 posts, read 685,664 times
That's quite an innovative thought. I hope the area gets something like this someday.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
I understand the need to be "progressive." But Rochester simply does not have the resources to support such a project at this time. There are two major problems, well three, that need to be fixed before the city could even begin to grow again. Crime, education and tax. Those three things will entice people to buy homes. We cannot spend any more money, we just don't have it. The governor is proposing major budget cuts, and for good reason. This will trickle down into the city and county government and create budget gaps of their own. For once, we would need a budget surplus before we can spend again.

The other problem that will arise would be the city government and the unions. These would come into play and unnecessarily jack up the pricing through negotiations and labor costs. Not Rochester unique, but a huge problem around the state.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 AM

200 posts, read 604,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machino View Post
The problem does seem to be the local government but which positions exactly are the ones to focus on? Who would make this call? I had thought it was city council but there seems to be more to it.
Are the RGRTA commissioners elected or appointed officials? I don't recall ever voting on those posts, but it's entirely possible. If they are appointed, who are they appointed by? Maybe that could be where to start. Also, what about private enterprise? As cheese stated, local gov't just doesn't have the money right now, and they'd be more likely to screw it up IMHO. Are their any cities with light rail run by a private company? $200,000,000 sounds, and looks, like a lot, but to some major rail companies it might be worth looking into.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I understand the need to be "progressive." But Rochester simply does not have the resources to support such a project at this time. There are two major problems, well three, that need to be fixed before the city could even begin to grow again. Crime, education and tax. Those three things will entice people to buy homes. We cannot spend any more money, we just don't have it. The governor is proposing major budget cuts, and for good reason. This will trickle down into the city and county government and create budget gaps of their own. For once, we would need a budget surplus before we can spend again.

The other problem that will arise would be the city government and the unions. These would come into play and unnecessarily jack up the pricing through negotiations and labor costs. Not Rochester unique, but a huge problem around the state.
Renaissance Square had 230 million allocated for it. Rochester spends this kind of money regardless of the project, at least something in the Infrastructure realm like this will have a return on the investment.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
Assuming it's determined to be a valid need, there are always ways to fund such projects (especially in a time when jobs are in such a high demand, projects like this could help an economy short and long term). Some areas of the country surcharge the use of roads/rails for a specific period of time to recoop the costs. So a $1.00 rail trip costs $2.00 for a period of 5 years etc. I think the idea would be terrific for the area. Hopefully people like you start getting involved and speaking up to the powers that be.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Assuming it's determined to be a valid need, there are always ways to fund such projects (especially in a time when jobs are in such a high demand, projects like this could help an economy short and long term). Some areas of the country surcharge the use of roads/rails for a specific period of time to recoop the costs. So a $1.00 rail trip costs $2.00 for a period of 5 years etc. I think the idea would be terrific for the area. Hopefully people like you start getting involved and speaking up to the powers that be.
Surcharges would be a great way to lessen the costs. I also think that there is increased interest from the government in funding transportation and infrastructure projects nation wide. If the covered a portion of the costs and surcharges covered another portion of them, there could be a real chance to make this happen.

I have e-mailed Whitehouse.gov asking for help because I know Rochester's local representatives are not interested in progressive change. They have done the same thing for decades and its taken us nowhere but down.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Rochester has nowhere near the requirements for any sort of rail system, there is plenty of cheap parking in the city in its numerous garages, and everything is centralized within a mile radius. We have a very good bus system for if and when you would like to get around the city, and a pretty decent road system for when driving is required. I really dont see the need for this city to waste money on some other project when there are more pressing issues at hand.

Denver is a way larger city and has much more to do and see. Not to mention a much more crowded road system. But damn is it ever a gorgeous city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area