Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 55,614 times

Advertisements

Moving to Brighton(but Pittsford schools?)soon from Galveston TX. My husband starts his job Jan. 1rst, but we thought that the weather would be to much of a adjustment for them and ME so the kids and I will wait til later. My dilemma is whether to come mid year so that my 4 & 7 y/o can make friends at school or wait til May when our school year is up to make the big move. I was surprised to learn that K is only half day. Here, they push the kids in K to be reading before they enter 1rst grade. My question is what activities can I sign them up for in the summer? Is the local YMCA a good choice? We are not Jewish, but i heard that the JCC has lots of activities for kids. What about day camps? Which are the best?? Any info u can give me would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
K half a day? I'm pretty sure this is optional, with full day as the other half of the option.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I don't know about Brighton, but I know our oldest son went to only half day Kindergaren in Greece; they either go in the morning until just before lunchtime, or the afternoon, starting with lunch. This was 13 years go so things may have changed by now.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:15 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
My nieces attend school in a suburb of Rochester (one in K, one in 1st grade) and yes it is only a half day. But we had the same thing in OH and currently here in CA. They still push the kids to be reading even though it is a half day. I also know that my nieces do a lot of fun activities through their local Y.

I've heard from people that move a lot that sometimes it is good to move mid school year since then the teachers will make a big deal about introducing your child to friends and have someone help them "learn the ropes", whereas if they start on the first day of the school year they are on their own. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM

117 posts, read 434,830 times
We just left Pittsford (lived there 2 yrs and cant wait to get back!!)

Lived in austin before that so have experience with tx schools and full day K vs half day K...the interesting thing about Pittsford is that it is a half day K with a lot of emphasis on social development and enjoying the school experience so most kids in my sons K class were not reading by the end of the year (other than a few sight words) But they really focus on it later and the district as a whole excels so they must be doing something right!!
As far as moving mid yr vs end of year (we have moved 7 times with kids!!) I would highly recommend moving mid yr...the weather will be tough for you (perhaps) but your kids will love the novelty of the snow especially if you are enthusiastic about it...my kids have always seemed to be pretty indifferent to the extremes of weather that we have encountered...unlike many adults. It is really tough to move at the end of the year...it is hard to make friends and then you have the whole summer to get through before you find kids for your children to play with
As far as actitivities, both the J and the Y are great...you may have to be a member to use the J facilities (I know that this is true for camp) The Y camp arrowhead is excellent, the pittsford rec center has many activities and summer camps that are ok (good for a week or two and incredibly cheap). The best camp by far is creative themes on the pittsford/fairport border....very tough to get into so you may want to call and get on their waiting list...also, the harley school and allendale/columbia school have excellent camps. The hochstein school offers great music and art camps (in rochester but 10 minutes from brighton)
hope this helps...good luck

Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 55,614 times
Thank-you for the valuable info. Just what i needed to know. Just curious, why are u leaving Austin for Pittsford. Why do u like Pittsford so much?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:26 AM

117 posts, read 434,830 times
we were in austin before Pittsford and now are in georgia ...job relos....we liked Pittsford b/c it was so family oriented, everything you need is in a 10 minute radius, the schools were excellent, such a a strong sense of community...we loved the village and spending time there...we are not into malls but into the local places...everywhere you went, you saw someone you knew and everyone was friendly and welcoming....also, people were very down to earth...lots of people with lots of money but you wouldnt know it...not nearly as much keeping up with the joneses as other places we have lived...of course, there are always people who spent too much but for us they were the exception...just a great place to raise a family (except for the weather!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area