Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,090 times

Advertisements

The cop car is 15 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,446,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Just "The Cop Car" indicates a small town.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM

66 posts, read 197,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Had to laugh... The other day I went to the new Wally World in the next town over. You know you're in a rural area when there's a whole section in the pet dept with horse & cattle halters & leadropes, saddleblankets, feed tubs, bags of chicken grit & salt blocks for livestock!
The only bar for miles around sells, according to the sign out front,
COLD beer, bread, cigarettes, crawlers and live bait. Yum.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM

66 posts, read 197,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
A couple more that have struck me in the past few weeks...

1) The radio broadcasts the girls' volleyball games now, same as the boys' football & basketball games.

Now that is actually progress! Around here, friday nights everyone listens to the radio for the high school games. Of course, if you bother to drive the twenty miles to the high school, the girls basketball team will just blow you away.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 AM

606 posts, read 1,235,491 times
You know when you are in a small town (I went to a college in a very small town):
-When there is only one traffic light that was just built last year because 2 more residents moved there.

-You enter the town, blink and suddenly the town is long behind you

-When there is a traffic jam, consisting of three cars, cause a cow is in the middle of the one and only road that goes through the town.

-You get pulled over by a cop on a cow and the entire town knows about it by night fall.

More to come later!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,198,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Wow, your town has a cop!? You're must live in the big city!

As a kid, my dad had a ranch. The "town" that our address was part was on a dirt road...it dead ended at the town. It consisted of 5 grain silos, a school that closed in the '50s and was currently used as a grange hall, an old one-bay fire station with one oooold truck (volunteer of course), a grocery, gas station, and post office all in one building. The post office was behind the store counter. "Hey, Pete. Any mail for me today?"

The gas pumps closed in 1974, the grocery in 1977..."town" population was 18.

Our town was so small the city powerplant was a Sears Diehard...

Old 10-22-2009, 05:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,175,832 times
Your dog is found 5 miles from your house from chasing varmints and it doesn't bite the person that brought it back home because it knows and trusts everybody in the town.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,175,832 times
Your only address is:
Mr Smith, Locust Stump.
And the mail carrier knows exactly which box to put the mail in.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 AM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
We have an election coming soon in Maine. When I drive into the city I see lots of signs up: "No on #1", "Yes on #5", ...

But I am wondering what these ballet choices are?

While driving I listen to the radio. We have a Christian station that never discusses local politics. We have Public Broadcasting which is more about over-seas stuff. And we have 'big radio' which goes on and on about Boston politics [which is not even in this state].

Granted I have google so I will find the ballet choices.

But one thing about being rural, is that sometimes you just don’t have any 'local' radio stations.

Now I know that if I keep scanning while I am in the city, I can find a few weak radio stations. And maybe one of them will have local stuff. But when I drive home those stations are usually lost in the static. A few times I have preset my radio to one of those stations, and just got frustrated when the signal fades.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,883,805 times
Forest, do you need a list of the 13 Bangor,ME FM Stations that are over 50,000 watts and broadcast very easily the 20-25 miles from their transmitters to Argyle? I lived in Maine for 20 years and worked out of your area for years and had zero problems getting LOCAL news, sports and weather. Never once did I hear Bostons news or weather on a Bangor station. Shoot, some of those stations I listened to up in the Presque Isle area which a LOT further away that Argyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living