Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Forest, do you need a list of the 13 Bangor,ME FM Stations that are over 50,000 watts and broadcast very easily the 20-25 miles from their transmitters to Argyle? I lived in Maine for 20 years and worked out of your area for years and had zero problems getting LOCAL news, sports and weather. Never once did I hear Bostons news or weather on a Bangor station. Shoot, some of those stations I listened to up in the Presque Isle area which a LOT further away that Argyle.
Theyre are very few actualy 50KW statons, there are tons that run the equivalent of due to a taller tower (Radio guy here)

Go to Radio-Locator and type in your city and state to see what can be heard where you live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
Theyre are very few actualy 50KW statons, there are tons that run the equivalent of due to a taller tower (Radio guy here)

Go to Radio-Locator and type in your city and state to see what can be heard where you live
If you want to use that site then, fair enough, that puts 12 stations in EASY range for Argyle, ME. and an additional 3 as distant and 3 more as fringe.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:37 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
With: Sean Hannity, Howie Carr, Ric Tyler and George Hall, you hear nothing but out-of-state news.

Like I said when we scan we do get a few stations.

I would like one with local stuff though.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Locally owned FM stations in Bangor that I KNOW reach Argyle.

WHCF - 88.5 - Religious programming (Started by Bangor Baptist Church back in the mid 80's)
WHSN - 89.3 - Husson College, but it is close (less than 12 miles from you)
WKSQ - 94.5 - Adult Contemporary (owned by Blueberry Broadcasting out of Augusta and Bangor)
WKIT - 100.3 - Rock (Owned by Zone Radio which consists of WZON the AM station and WKIT - owned by author Stephen King and his wife, and 24/7 local DJ's)
WVOM - 103.9 - Talk Radio (Blueberry Broadcasting again)
WBFB - 104.7 - Country (Blueberry Broadcasting)
WHMX - 105.7 Christian Contemporary (Blueberry Broadcasting)

This doesn't include several that are owned by larger corporations and carry local news either. Argyle is tiny (unincorporated) and it is rural, but it isn't that remote. Unless you consider less than 25 miles to a city of 35,000 and a couple respected colleges within 15 miles remote.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times
Quote:
Locally owned FM stations in Bangor that I KNOW reach Argyle.

WHCF - 88.5 - Religious programming (Started by Bangor Baptist Church back in the mid 80's)
WHSN - 89.3 - Husson College, but it is close (less than 12 miles from you)
WKSQ - 94.5 - Adult Contemporary (owned by Blueberry Broadcasting out of Augusta and Bangor)
WKIT - 100.3 - Rock (Owned by Zone Radio which consists of WZON the AM station and WKIT - owned by author Stephen King and his wife, and 24/7 local DJ's)
WVOM - 103.9 - Talk Radio (Blueberry Broadcasting again)
WBFB - 104.7 - Country (Blueberry Broadcasting)
WHMX - 105.7 Christian Contemporary (Blueberry Broadcasting)

This doesn't include several that are owned by larger corporations and carry local news either. Argyle is tiny (unincorporated) and it is rural, but it isn't that remote. Unless you consider less than 25 miles to a city of 35,000 and a couple respected colleges within 15 miles remote.
WHMX is owned by the same folks who own WHCF 88.5

Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,499,450 times
I don't live in Maine, but it's the same anywhere, local news to a station 25 miles away is not necessarily local news in your hometown. You can really only get that from a truly LOCAL station, with a LOCAL news department that is not just set up as a "repeater" for some syndicated programing from somewhere else in the country. Now STATE news would be the same, as long as that station 25 miles away is in the same state, and truly has a news department.

Last edited by rrtechno; 10-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I don't live in Maine, but it's the same anywhere, local news to a station 25 miles away is not necessarily local news in your hometown. You can really only get that from a truly LOCAL station, with a LOCAL news department that is not just set up as a "repeater" for some syndicated programing from somewhere else in the country. Now STATE news would be the same, as long as that station 25 miles away is in the same state, and truly has a news department.
In Maine 25 miles away IS local. Argyle is an unincorporated township with a population that hovers around 250 if I remember correctly.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,499,450 times
Quote:
In Maine 25 miles away IS local. Argyle is an unincorporated township with a population that hovers around 250 if I remember correctly.
Where I live in NW Ohio, 25 miles away is half way to the nearest city with a population of over 10,000 people. What is considered local news to stations there is of no interest to us, other than the fact that we might have some relatives in that area. They don't have the report from OUR last night's school board or town council meeting. They won't report where our fire department went on their call last night, unless our crew went over to help them fight a fire in their town. The EMS went out to a fatal car wreck, but they won't have any details for us. Our high school athletes only get mentioned on their station when we compete against them. To me, that is local news. The only way we get what we consider local news is from the station in town that does local newscasts between 6 and 9 in the morning, before they switch over to their satellite feeds. The rest of the day they only have national and world news from one of the major networks.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
----local newscasts between 6 and 9 in the morning--

If you need more, that is what a local newspaper is for---- school board meeting,town council meeting, etc.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
This morning at 7am I was awakened by this VERY loud siren. Now being from the south I immediately thought tornado. Then oh they don't have those where I live now. I'm thinking, flood, evacuation, Russians attacking. Getting up I look out my window to see cars and trucks pulling up to the fire station. It's a fire siren. In 2009, a fire siren. How quaint. I'm going to donate pagers to them I think.
Other than to notify the volunteers of a fire, the fire siren goes off twice in the small town I grew up in. Once at noon and once at curfew for teens. Plus, there was a bright flashing light at the local establishment that was triggered whenever the siren went off. Just in case you weren't able to hear the siren over the music & people.

I guess having an alert system for the volunteer fire dept. in a bar is another sign of being in a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living