Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM

56 posts, read 143,335 times

Advertisements

I laugh when people are dependent on GPS, because they are going to have some issues ever visiting me.

My city friends will probably have a field day with the directions I give them... "Go down Main Street... well, it's the ONLY street so why would it need a sign saying it's "Main"? It's pretty self-explanatory... Unless you start driving in the river or through crops, you CAN'T miss it... After a few miles, turn right past the feed store... it's a feed store, how do you not know what that is? Look, it's a big red barn, okay? I don't know, it MIGHT have a sign that says "feed store"... Turn right, then an immediate left, past the blackberry patches, and my house is the one with the hay out front." (that's exactly how you get to my house LOL, hay and all)

I also thought it was pretty hilarious when someone asked if anyone in town had lost a goose, and posted a picture of that goose, and the goose's "friend" (another goose), and someone immediately know who those runaway geese belonged to. And the geese's names. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,800,817 times
GPS can't find my house, either. Suits me just fine.

And when the UPS guy has something to deliver, he calls his wife and finds out if there's anything going on in town because he knows he'll find us all there.

Beyond that: You know you're living in a small town when you know where your kids are with the car because you can hear which friend's house they stopped at. (I never would fix the tail pipe on that old wagon. Sneaky, huh?)

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,888,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
GPS can't find my house, either. Suits me just fine.

And when the UPS guy has something to deliver, he calls his wife and finds out if there's anything going on in town because he knows he'll find us all there.

Beyond that: You know you're living in a small town when you know where your kids are with the car because you can hear which friend's house they stopped at. (I never would fix the tail pipe on that old wagon. Sneaky, huh?)

My Dad did you one better. He made me get specialized plates with my name on them. EVERYBODY knew where I was in town. And, yes, he got reports...

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,246,683 times
I had a 15 year old rust-orange Pinto station wagon.
There was no need for either personalized plates OR a noisy exhaust. There was no doubt whose car it was.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,888,988 times
1976 Monte Carlo. Big AND loud. Still had the specialty plates. Dad liked to hedge his bets. He STILL laughs about that.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylee View Post
I think one of the best ways of knowing whether or not you live in a small town is whether or not GPS thinks your address exists. Apparently my house is nowhere to be found, except by the locals
Our GPS believes we live in the tool shed of a neighbor's two doors down from us. Thankfully, UPS and FedEx have always found us.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,022,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I had a 15 year old rust-orange Pinto station wagon.
There was no need for either personalized plates OR a noisy exhaust. There was no doubt whose car it was.
I was one of three people in my town who drove a Gremlin. All three were different colors so everyone knew if I was out and about. They especially knew when the muffler fell out.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,524,659 times
You stop in at the local car dealer 3 hours after they close in the evening and you can open any car on the lot to check out the inside or pop the hood and look the engine over. Helps you decide if there is something there that you want to go check out closer when it's daylight and they are open for business.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,911,079 times
This happened to my SIL. Her daughter followed the GPS to an unused or maintained dirt road and had to be rescued by the neighbor at night and in the rain. They used a tractor to retrieve the rental car the next morning.

BTW these roads are a LOT smoother when covered with packed snow instead of broken pavement and loose gravel.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,800,817 times
You know you live in a small town when your town actually has several literal village bicycles laying about for anyone's use. And they are still there years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living