Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM

676 posts, read 937,080 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of getting 6 chicks and one rooster. I love to hear them crow. It takes me back to a place that has peace and comfort to it. Should I ask my neighbors first if they mind crowing ? They are counrty people too that get up early to go to work. If they say they DO mind it I need some suggestions for the crowing to stop. Please don't say the crock pot.... I need real suggestions. Maybe when they start getting free brown eggs they will change their tune but till then I need help Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Do you live in the country proper or a small town? If it's the latter, expect to have problems with your neighbors in short order. Seriously, if some clown beside me bought a rooster and I had to listen to it go off every morning (especially when working shifts), I'd immediately report them to the township.

However, if you are in the country proper I can't see it being an issue.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,796 times
I don't think roosters only crow in the morning. I think they often do it throughout the day and sometimes the night.

But Annuvin is right. If you are in a city or town, make sure that roosters are even allowed. I know that where I live (in a city) chickens are allowed, but roosters are absolutely not.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Roosters don't lay eggs.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
How close is your neighbor? I find that just a couple hundred feet is enough. You can hear the crowing but it is not that loud. Way, way, way better than a barking dog at the same distance and that is thousands of times more common than crowing *****. <edit for stupid censorship: c ocks>

And if your neighbor does complain, offer to eat it within the week. It is not like you really need it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Some roosters are temperamental and crow all day. It's a myth that they only crow at dawn. And yes, check your city regulations. We have eight chickens, the maximum number allowed in our city, but roosters are forbidden. Your city may also have rules about your coop, such as how far from the neighbors' property it has to be.

By the way, unless you keep your rooster separate from the chickens, you'll be eating fertilized eggs (chick embryos) rather than unfertilized ones. I thought I'd mention it because I've noticed that many people don't know the difference. You can still eat them but your neighbors might not care to.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I am in the process of getting 6 chicks and one rooster. I love to hear them crow.
Let us know if you still feel that way after six months of hearing it crow every day.

Quote:
It takes me back to a place that has peace and comfort to it.
Somehow I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of "peace" and "rooster crowing" being synonymous.

Quote:
Should I ask my neighbors first if they mind crowing ?
Only if you want them to continue to like you.

Quote:
They are counrty people too that get up early to go to work.
So none of your neighbors work second or third shift? None of them ever take days off when they might want to sleep in?

Quote:
If they say they DO mind it I need some suggestions for the crowing to stop.
Stopping a rooster from crowing is simple: Just turn it's head until you hear a click.

Quote:
Please don't say the crock pot.... I need real suggestions.
Unfortunately that is a real suggestion. There's no way to stop a live rooster from crowing.

Quote:
Maybe when they start getting free brown eggs they will change their tune but till then I need help Thank you all
If you're getting the chickens because you want eggs you don't need a rooster.

My neighbors had a rooster. It would crow 24 hours a day, usually from 2 am to 5 am. I was not a fan in spite of the eggs they gave us and was not the least bit disappointed when he got its head stuck in the fence and hung himself.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Okay, if I didn't scare you away from the idea with my previous post, here are some serious suggestions:

Roosters tend to crow less as they age, so if you get an older rooster you may have less trouble. If you're not planning on raising pullets the fact that he might be less fertile won't really matter.

Roosters often crow because they have nothing better to do. So getting him a few more hens might keep him busy enough that he won't crow as often.

As mentioned in several posts above, roosters can crow any time of day. However, they pretty much always crow when the sun comes up. To a rooster, the headlights of a car passing by or a light coming on in the house might be an indication that the sun is about to come up and set him off. If you put the flock in a shed at night that's visually sealed from the outside you might be able to keep the rooster from crowing until you let him out in the morning.

I admire you in some way for wanting to pursue this venture, but just go into it knowing full well that many neighborly relationships have been destroyed by the presence of a rooster.

Last edited by duster1979; 09-18-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
You don't need a rooster to get eggs!
If your getting a rooster because you like to hear it crow, I hope you don't have close neighbors...
If you don't, and live out in the country, they probably already have them

Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,852 times
I've *never* had a rooster that only crowed in the morning. They've all crowed off and on all day long.
I currently have two, but that's only because my hens free-range, and the roosters protect them. If I kept them cooped, or had less trouble with predation, I wouldn't have roosters.

If you live where this might cause a problem with neighbors, just don't get a rooster. Simple solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living