Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And here's another one. I do feel bad for the Fireman, though. Firefighter gets life sentence for killing neighbors over fireworks | The Columbus Dispatch
Reading the story, he should have gotten a lighter sentence like 5 years probation and anger management classes. His wife had called the police several times reporting the fireworks, loud party, and illegal drug use and no one showed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
I'm against the private purchase of fireworks for several reasons. First, the kinds sold today are very nearly professional grade explosives. In my youth we were limited to bottle rockets, Black cat firecrackers, Roman candles, sparklers, and other similar fire works. Stuff sold today will maim or kill a person. Second reason is immature drunks. Actually, they're the main reason. These are the guys I hope loose an eye or hand to fireworks or accidentally burn down their own home. No, they're the ones who burn down their neighbor's home, terrorize the neighbor's pets, damage vehicles, break windows, damage siding, and leave behind piles of garbage on the ground.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Gloria.....yes, I think having kids who are missing fingers or hands, or that have been blinded or disfigured by fireworks speak at schools could make a difference...... especially if parents were asked to attend that day.

They should have PSA's on TV with these kids telling what happened to them. Apparently, enough of the "right" people don't think it is a big enough problem.

Here is another problem......reporting:

OHIO’S FIREWORKS LAWS

Unbelievable, isn't it?
\

Yes, it IS unbelievable. I wonder if the Fire Marshall's Office has the data. But you know, a video made by twenty children blinded by fireworks - each telling his/her story - shown to kids in elementary school - and with no "happy endings" would surely (eventually) awaken people to the danger.

And from VictimOfGM: "I'm against the private purchase of fireworks for several reasons. First, the kinds sold today are very nearly professional grade explosives. In my youth we were limited to bottle rockets, Black cat firecrackers, Roman candles, sparklers, and other similar fire works. Stuff sold today will maim or kill a person. Second reason is immature drunks. Actually, they're the main reason. These are the guys I hope loose an eye or hand to fireworks or accidentally burn down their own home. No, they're the ones who burn down their neighbor's home, terrorize the neighbor's pets, damage vehicles, break windows, damage siding, and leave behind piles of garbage on the ground."

I thought it was only my imagination that they sounded louder and more dangerous than they used to. That makes it a wholly different situation, IMHO. You know, if someone goes out and buys a box of Dynamite, then, whether or not he "Bought it at the Indian Reservation" becomes rather irrelevant. It comes under the jurisdiction of certain agencies, and unauthorized possession/handling, etc., becomes criminalized.

These El-Gigundo-sized fireworks should be under ATF jurisdiction, and unauthorized possession should be a FELONY.

And if our reservations (I'm an Indian) are truly "sovereign nations", then these dumb goobers coming in from 'America' for the purpose of transporting dangerous explosives across "international" boundaries would have to be really, really, big crime.... no?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-05-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
We're in the Deep South tonight, and people near us are blowing up fireworks like it was a war zone.

Just to cheer me up, I'd love some good stories about fireworks accidents - not about innocent victims, but about the Perpetrators blowing themselves to bits.

Here's a good one, for starters... 'I could have died,' man shares firework horror story - Local - MyNorthwest.com
Really; that is sick: IMO.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The issue is purchasing the illegal fireworks, from Indian Reservations, which are Soveriegn Nations...I don't know how laws are applied in that case.
The fireworks laws vary by state but there is what they call class C or "consumer fireworks", those would be the bigger ones and include everything from bottle rockets, cakes and small mortars. If you to about the 6 minute mark you'll see about as big as it gets for class C:

Ron "Big Daddy" Silvas class c fireworks show 5/09/2009 Part 1 - YouTube

There is no federal restrictions on their sale and again the laws vary by state.

Illegal firewors are class B an would incled things like m-80's, 1/4 sticks and large display mortars.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
You know those cool mortars/tubes you can buy in some places? Turns out if you put them in the tube upside down they turn into a mini bomb. It also turns out that if a squirrel is running across the street after youve lit one and are running away from it.....it kills the squirrel. I felt so bad for that little fella

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
Back in High School I used buy Ground Bloom Flowers. I would drill from one end to just about the other end. Then I would tip it up on the end with the hole, light it, and watch it shoot up in the air like a rocket. Well one time the drill bit got to hot and BOOM!!! it blew up in my hand, and peeled some of my skin back. I still remember the pain. I did learn a important lesson and never dimantled or modified any fireworks ever again.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I had to laugh when I first moved to Tennessee.

Fireworks are as big here as randomly shooting guns is in Texas. They shoot em off for New Years, Memorial Day, the Fourth, Christmas....and at random times in between just for giggles.

So, two years ago...long, dry spring. Constant public service warnings on TV about not having open fires, and don't set off fireworks in such dry conditions.

So, who is selling fireworks? On a couple of road intersections the local fire departments have these huge retail fireworks sales for the Fourth! Not a couple of boxes of sparklers, but thousands of cases of everything imaginable!

I was speechless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living