Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,523 times

Advertisements

The family and I are thinking about going down to Fairhope, AL. How is the cost of living there and activities such as sports for the kids? Would the locals be kind to kids about to go into High School. I know with small southern towns, they usually arent to nice to the new kids.

We are looking for a small town like Fairhope. (Anywhere in southeast is where we want to be other than FL) We used to live in a nice town here in TN but it has been run over with drugs so we got out of there but we sure miss the little town life.

Last edited by Squiggles13; 07-07-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 09:00 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
In western Kentucky you'll find Tater Days in Benton, the first Monday in April.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_Day
Cadiz has the Country Ham Festival in October. You can buy a piece of the 4000 pound country ham biscuit on Saturday. Delicious! Trigg County Ham Festival | Cadiz, KY Of course Paducah has the International Quilt Week in April and, starting this year, they will also have one in September. Tens of thousands of quilters come to Paducah to show their quilts and get ideas.
AQS QuiltWeek | Paducah
In June, just across the Ohio River in Metropolis, Ill., is the Superman Festival. After doing some checking and discovering they are the only "Metropolis" in the US, the state legislature named it the "Official Home of Superman". They have a big deal every June, usually with some of the stars from the Superman series. The original Lois Lane, from the old TV show, came for several years. Sorry to hear she just passed away. http://www.supermancelebration.net/
I could keep going with more things going on. There are 3 or 4 places in the area that have Civil War reenactments.

Last edited by kygman; 07-08-2016 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Because I messed up! lol

Old 07-11-2016, 09:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
In Alabama:

Fairhope,
Daphne
Eufala
Montevallo
Eufala
Fort Payne
Monroeville
Auburn

Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorreann View Post
It's possible that the writers of the show were basing it on a town they knew. I know it's a leap, but I might ask them. I miss the show so much that I am looking for such a town to move to. The only small towns I've lived in were very depressing and the people were, too. I would love to live in such a town as Bluebell, where everyone cares for one another. And they have Celebrations about everything. Having Wade, Lavon and George there wouldn't hurt either.
Like Mayberry, Bluebell is a fictional place.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 AM

195 posts, read 278,518 times
Not in the south, but Beaver Island, Michigan fits your criteria. There are tons of festivals (Beaver Island Music Festival, Baroque on Beaver, Beaver Island Bike Festival). There are community plays, live music of all kinds at the community center, fishing tournaments, trivia nights, summer camps, etc. All of the holidays are celebrated in HUGE ways (contests, caroling, games in the downtown area). Heck, there's even a fish throwing competition on St. Patrick's Day. The island is small and isolated, and only accessible by airplane or ferry boat. The population is only a few hundred. I've found it to be a very enjoyable place.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

The above are our 2016 events. There is, as I said, some thought that we are getting overloaded. Most of them entail having to close a main street by the beach as well as a block of each cross street going to it. That impacts residents. Not listed is the Friday Night Farmer's Market every Friday from May to October.

One good thing is that many of them are organized by others and the Town just provides logistical support.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
I too am looking for a small southern town, with festivals and traditions. With a town physician and southern pride. With a local Hangout Bar and Grill. I long for the charm and traditions of "Bluebell AL" any suggestions and examples.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:33 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Mount Olive, NC had a few things including the Pickle Festival as it is home to all those Mount Olive pickles you see in so many stores. However it's been 26 years since we moved from there so things have probably changed. They had a Thanksgiving Day parade which I thought would have floats and such like the Macy's Day parade. I was so naïve when I first moved there. Their idea of a parade was a couple of decorated pick-up trucks and a few people on horseback. But it was a tradition in that small town.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
Robertsdale Alabama . We have all sorts of festivals in Baldwin County. Sausage festivals. Strawberry festivals. We have the beach close by. We also have Mobile Bay nearby as well. We have parades for just about everything. And our old buildings are still entact and still in use.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
In western Kentucky you'll find Tater Days in Benton, the first Monday in April.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_Day
Cadiz has the Country Ham Festival in October. You can buy a piece of the 4000 pound country ham biscuit on Saturday. Delicious! Trigg County Ham Festival | Cadiz, KY Of course Paducah has the International Quilt Week in April and, starting this year, they will also have one in September. Tens of thousands of quilters come to Paducah to show their quilts and get ideas.
AQS QuiltWeek | Paducah
In June, just across the Ohio River in Metropolis, Ill., is the Superman Festival. After doing some checking and discovering they are the only "Metropolis" in the US, the state legislature named it the "Official Home of Superman". They have a big deal every June, usually with some of the stars from the Superman series. The original Lois Lane, from the old TV show, came for several years. Sorry to hear she just passed away. Superman Celebration: The Official Site - Superman Celebration: The Official Site
I could keep going with more things going on. There are 3 or 4 places in the area that have Civil War reenactments.
Quilt week is a big deal in Paducah. The wife and I stopped there last year on our way to Berea to visit her family--both of us are Campbellsville grads and lived in Kentucky for many years.

However, for a small town, close enough to a city (Lexington) for big shopping, I like Danville. They have a Kentucky State barbecue festival, and it is close enough to Shakertown for events that occur there. In addition, Danville is a good spot from which to visit the annual Civil War reenactment of the Battle of Perryville. Add to that the annual Great American Outhouse Race where mobile outhouses are built and raced down Main Street. And Lexington has Kentucky Wildcats basketball, the greatest sporting event I've ever been to, and that includes Ohio State football, Denver Broncos football, and intraservice games between he Air Force and other Academies, along with more professional baseball games than I can list. None of them compare to a home Kentucky basketball game.

I live in Colorado now, and towns here are less about local culture and focus more on outdoor entertainment and spectacular views. But a trip to Red Rocks to see a band perform is phenomenal. One can look down on the band playing in the natural amphitheater and look over them to see the lights of Denver and its suburbs that are up to fifty miles away.

Anyway, I would pick Kentucky over Alabama---and I'm originally from Mobile with a sister living outside Montgomery now---any day of the week!. No hard feelings intended Alabama lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living