Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,702,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Probably the rural North-East, Mid-Atlantic on out to include the Upper Mid-West. Pretty much where grain and corn are king. Many of these areas knowing nothing other than 100% white. I mean I grew up 100% white and the area isn't likely to change any time soon.
These areas have indeed changed. There is a Latino population now in the areas you have mentioned. The workers are now staying. This may not have been the case say, 15 years ago, but it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,213,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Probably the rural North-East, Mid-Atlantic on out to include the Upper Mid-West. Pretty much where grain and corn are king. Many of these areas knowing nothing other than 100% white. I mean I grew up 100% white and the area isn't likely to change any time soon.

That said, I think you're living a fantasy. The fun goes away when it's 105, dusty, buggy, endless fields and rather little return on effort expended. That was my childhood, nothing romantic about it. And when the Amish are selling 5qt buckets of baby peppers for $3, good luck trying to make it as an Englishman. Much better to get a real job, live in the area and hobby on the side.
West Indians, including Latinos, have been working produce farms in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic since WW II at least. Most were Puerto Ricans (who are US citizens BTW) but others were from Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. Now, there are more from Mexico and Guatemala, and most have guest worker status.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM

60 posts, read 62,478 times
This must be a California thing

In North Dakota and Montana all the farmers and ranchers are white

Old 06-30-2017, 06:23 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,031,451 times
In NJ and ME farms

Old 07-01-2017, 12:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
This must be a California thing

In North Dakota and Montana all the farmers and ranchers are white
but they have significant 'farmer tans'

'AMERICAN" I would say 95% of farmworkers in Midwest are AMERICAN, probably 80%+ USA wide.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:35 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
The difference between the California and Midwest farms is production levels. The Midwest farms do not produce the scope of what occurs in California which is nearly year-round, and the typical family farm couldn't maintain that kind of output.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:52 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,916,225 times
We've had foreign migrant farm workers all over the US for generations. Years ago when I lived in Northern Ohio I recall Mexican laborers picking vegetables to supply the nearby Campbell's Soup factory. The facts are that your typical American worker will not do that kind of back breaking minimum wage job.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We've had foreign migrant farm workers all over the US for generations. Years ago when I lived in Northern Ohio I recall Mexican laborers picking vegetables to supply the nearby Campbell's Soup factory. The facts are that your typical American worker will not do that kind of back breaking minimum wage job.
Unless you are an American farmer... Then you do what is necessary to pay the FCB and get enough dough to plant a crop for next yr.

Granted... for 'legal' workers, $15 / hr minimum wage makes berry picking look pretty bleak. I had a very Tough time hiring kids to pick berries, cuz they could make a lot more money babysitting (Watching TV).

So... I picked berries.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,786,238 times
I have homes in two rural counties that have numerous farms and have never seen Hispanics (people with a Spanish accent) in either one (not even in Walmart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living