Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM

72 posts, read 275,949 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to move out of the burbs and into a small town, rural really. I have had a taste of the country life and have decided that is where I belong. I can't list all the reasons as there are so many. My husband feels the same. We are looking for anywhere, USA that would welcome a young republican, working class couple. We realize that it is unpopular to be right wingers and would feel more at home with other unpopular republicans. Please understand that we do not judge others for their polical beliefs, these just happen to be ours. Please help. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,404,142 times
Rural Missouri would most likely be a good match. There are both Democratic and Republican areas in outstate MO. Regardless of local political party dominance, it leans conservative. Even counties with a majority of office holders being Democrats, they went for Bush in 2000 and '04 and McCain in '08.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Wow!

It is funny that you say that. I was actuallly looking into the rural areas around the Springfield area. Thank you so much!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,567,031 times
I recommend either Aurora or Mount Vernon in Lawrence County. I used to live in that county and you couldn't find a Democrat anywhere. I don't think it has changed much, though I could be wrong.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,402,273 times
About anywhere in Midland or Gladwin county.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,042,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijoy View Post
We realize that it is unpopular to be right wingers and would feel more at home with other unpopular republicans. Please understand that we do not judge others for their polical beliefs, these just happen to be ours. Please help. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Well, we've always lived in small town and rural areas and found that political affiliation only rears its ugly head every four years. But maybe that's just us. My mate and I refuse to talk politics or religion with our neighbors, preferring to enjoy rural life for what it is: neighborliness, quiet, space and freedom that one rarely sees in the suburbs. To us, it's more important to know that we'll all get together and have a chain saw party to clear our roads when the occasional ice storm brings down trees than to know who votes for whom

But, if it's that important, there are plenty of places in NC where you'll find conservative bastions and good weather . We're from the Midwest and are glad to be gone from those nasty winters and unbearable summers. Just stay clear from Charlotte, Raleigh and Asheville. Those areas helped make the state look blue in this last election when the majority of the counties are well into the red.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM

115 posts, read 175,261 times
Well, what do u want in a rural area? rural desert? rural coastal community? a rural community near the mountains? How far away do u want to be near a city?

Hmm and since u said u dont want people to not like each other because of political affiliation, you probably want to be in a place that is republican majority, but not the kind of republican majority where u have to be going to their church to be friends.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM

115 posts, read 175,261 times
What about somewhere in Montana away from missoula, helana, glacier county, and yellowstone county? Those areas went blue in 08'
Some counties in wyoming went 80% republican (in central and northeastern wyoming)

Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 77,940 times
Unless you're talking about small mountain communities or something, ANY small town or rural area will be primarily republican/conservative. Just look at the voting maps....blue areas are almost exclusively in dense city counties.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Thank you

I want to thank everyone for all their input. It surely helps whenever someone has a suggestion on this site. What a great group of folks! Thanks again!

Best wishes,
jenijoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living