Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,723,713 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the majority of rural country land tracts are listed on MLS or are they usually found as FSBO and/or in classifieds for small town newspapers? I'm in Texas, but wanted to start getting some ideas (I'm about a year away from purchasing) on where are some of the best places to look. I'm looking for something way out in the country--maybe even off grid. Where would you usually find those deals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,585,071 times
Oh do I ever love working with potential buyers such as yourself. We have lots of land around here and if a buyer comes to me I usually have acreage listings available. If not, I have contacts and a plat book and a 'phone book. Oops, just gave away one of my secret methods Seriously though, here in Missouri land is usually listed with a real estate company and on the MLS as well as being advertised. Some sell w/o our help to family members, friends, etc. That's just the way it is in rural areas. Find an area that appeals to you and subscribe to the local paper(s) when you get really serious about the purchase and make contact with a real estate company that satisfies your needs. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM

428 posts, read 2,441,562 times
My market, 1 out of 7 homes is FSBO, rural or not. Land, even less. Look in the big pool first.

Last edited by missyM; 07-11-2007 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM

How does one go about getting a plat book of the area he is interested in?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,585,071 times
I would suggest that you contact the Court House of the county that you are interested in and request a plat book. You may want to 'google' the area that you are interested in and go from there. Our county lists the phone numbers of various depts. and our assessor's office sells the plat books. Since my husband and I paid for an ad in our county's plat book, I rec'd a few 'free' ones and gave some to friends, etc. So maybe you can also contact a realtor in the area(s) that interest you. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
How does one go about getting a plat book of the area he is interested in?
Plat book is the county map book. They are always public records and avaiable to the public but they are not generally published. You can gain access in many places over the internet. Other places you gotta wander down to the county court house...look at the book and request which pages you would like copied for a small fee.

Then you may have to go through yet other records to find out who owns the pieces of interest and how to get in touch. Fun stuff enjoy.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM

81 posts, read 350,665 times
In Georgia, many of the tax assessors are online (search the county + tax assessor) and you are able to see parcels and owner records. That said much of the land in Georgia is listed and on mls.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 PM

631 posts, read 2,447,837 times
Default rural land to find

All I sell is rural or remote land on and off the grid in 4 counties in NM.
Being in a rural area, we don't have MLS except to join Alb or further away. Most people find me on google, get direct mailers, local ads online, flyers, broker referrals and driving by.

I would say narrow down where you would like to be, then start searching the net, chambers and newspapers online.
I've also suggested to people if they couldn't find what they wanted, to run an ad in the paper under wanted. You'd be surprised how many people would sell just by seeing that ad. Stuff no one would have known was for sale.
My friend was looking for a specific type of ground, after exhausting broker(s) efforts, I suggested he run an ad in the paper. It was amazing the calls he got, and yep, he found his dream piece. They never thought to sell until they seen his ad.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post

I would say narrow down where you would like to be, then start searching the net, chambers and newspapers online.
I've also suggested to people if they couldn't find what they wanted, to run an ad in the paper under wanted. You'd be surprised how many people would sell just by seeing that ad. Stuff no one would have known was for sale.
My friend was looking for a specific type of ground, after exhausting broker(s) efforts, I suggested he run an ad in the paper. It was amazing the calls he got, and yep, he found his dream piece. They never thought to sell until they seen his ad.
Thanks keeperk for that info. I was aware of that info and was going to try it, however, I see someone else already beat me to the punch and has been doing that in the local paper for my targeted area. I guess it would not hurt for me to try it, eh? Do you suggest I post my budget on the ad or leave it empty? I just dont want people to call and then laugh at me if I offer such a ridiculous figure.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:14 PM

982 posts, read 3,309,217 times
TexasNick - I came across this site a few weeks back - maybe it would be helpful:

Texas Land for Sale, Texas Farms for Sale, Texas Ranches for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living