Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM

28 posts, read 47,086 times

Advertisements

I am posting here on the Rural Forum area since people living in the country understand this dilemma better than "city folk".

I finally own a 12+ acre lot out in beautiful rural country with nature and trees all around. It's been a dream of mine to finally move out of the big city. I lived in 4+ million population cities for almost 4 decades and I got sick of it. The crime, traffic, concrete, neighbors, noise, lights, pollution, etc.

Here is the dilemma I now face:

I can build a small (800 square foot) home on the lot now with cash but I will be required to build a larger (1,700 sqft) home within 5 years from now or face monthly fines by the HOA.

I am torn whether or not to wait now and not build anything and then maybe 2-3 years from now just build the larger home. The cons to this is that I will lose 2-3 years of having to rent a home in the city.

The pros to building now is that I can finally live in the country and not have to rent a home in the city. I have 4-5 years that I can save money and then build a larger home on my lot. In the meantime I can live in the smaller home and live in the country. The cons is that I have to build another home in 4-5 years.

I am torn since I really want to live out in the country and LIFE IS SHORT. Waiting 2-3 years might be financially more prudent since I only have to build 1 large house but that's another 3 years of my life I will lose living and renting in the city. I have known people who work and wait & dream all their lives to finally move out of the city. They finally turn 55 or 60 years old and they get ready to move to the country and they drop dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Can you build something that will in the future be part of your larger house....or even part of a future larger garage or barn?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Can you build something that will in the future be part of your larger house....or even part of a future larger garage or barn?
Not possible, county doesn't allow it, plus it's difficult to design a home that is meant to be expanded upon years later. Plumbing, electric, roofing, footings, etc all become problematic when trying to "add on" to an existing home.

Garages, barns, don't count. It must be "livable space"

Old 07-17-2016, 11:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Any place that has an "HOA" isn't truly rural.

So, you're screwed already.

Sell that land and buy land elsewhere. Make sure that it isn't a part of a HOA, and make sure that you are clear about and agree with the county's zoning regulations before you buy.

Then build what you want.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Sell that land and buy land elsewhere. Make sure that it isn't a part of a HOA, and make sure that you are clear about and agree with the county's zoning regulations before you buy.

I have to agree. I thought it was really unusual to have a HOA involved in 12 acre properties. I think those rules are crazy.

Will they allow you to put a mobile home of any type, until you can build your McMansion? Then, at least you could just sell it afterwards. Maybe a small double-wide with wood siding? They make nice real log siding for them. And the small double-wides are basically square, so don't look like mobile homes with wood siding on them.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

Not possible. Every single place out in this area has an HOA and the handful that do not are so far removed (hours from civilization and work) and they don't even have access to water and must haul their water.

So that's not possible or an option.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
HOA issue aside (and that would 100% ruin it for me), on the surface it's a money vs quality of life thing. But it goes deeper, you're going to pay more taxes for having 2 livable spaces, it's going to require twice (or more) the maintenance, insurance is higher, etc... Are you allowed to leverage that smaller space for your benefit (rental unit), would you even Want to?

Or you could go cheap and buy a used modular/trailer house, seems like nicer units go for about $20k cash (banks won't finance used trailers, or wouldn't the last time I asked). Less cash outlay, maybe a slightly lower quality of housing but faster time frame for building a permanent building.

I'm financially motivated though, I'd focus on maximizing my dollar power on the desired end result. Of course, I haven't lived in a big city since my mid 20's, so I have a hard time feeling the urgency of getting out.

Good luck

Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Wink 1700 sq ft is no McMansion, my workshop and garage are bigger than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH909 View Post
I can build a small (800 square foot) home on the lot now with cash but I will be required to build a larger (1,700 sqft) home within 5 years from now or face monthly fines by the HOA.
You should seek out a local contractor who knows how to deal with the local zoning, building code, and also has experience dealing with the HOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH909 View Post
Not possible, county doesn't allow it, plus it's difficult to design a home that is meant to be expanded upon years later. Plumbing, electric, roofing, footings, etc all become problematic when trying to "add on" to an existing home. Garages, barns, don't count. It must be "livable space"
Attic, garage, and enclosed porches can be designed from the beginning to be compatible with conversion to "livable space", it does add some to the initial cost.

It is feasible to build a house with 800 square feet of conditioned "livable space" and include 1000 sq ft (e.g. 3-season porch and an attic) which, while not currently under HVAC, have the appropriate insulation and ducting so they can become "livable space" with the addition of a mini-split.

My last home, the full-height unfinished attic had plumbing stubs and everything else to make it readily finished off as two additional legal bedrooms and a full bath. As soon as you do so, your property taxes double

Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
plus it's difficult to design a home that is meant to be expanded upon years later.
You've obviously not seen a designer or architect. This is a lot easier than you think. You start with the bedrooms and baths then add the kitchen and breakfast area. You can even design it to be a 2 story without building the second story until later. It's not difficult to add the stub outs to the foundation for future plumbing and even A/C if necessary. The foundation for the entire structure can poured with the first stage being a different level to keep rain water out. Too many excuses on your part and not near enough action. Either build it or sell it. You're making this a lot harder than what it is.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Build a 1 1/2 story house and don't finish the upper level until you need the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living