Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times

Advertisements

What was it Tom Petty sung in that one song, "most things I worry about never happen anyway." That is my whole point, all of this "if a burglar shows up I'm far away from the police station," is that really worth worrying about that much?

I can't imagine living in such fear. I would never swim alone or bicycle alone because gee what if I have a stroke or heart attack or seizure and I'm out there all alone? I'd never eat while home alone because what if I choke and no one's around to perform the Heimlich maneuver? I'd never drive in the boonies because what if I got a flat out here where AAA can never find me. I'd never let my kids play outside because what if they step on a snake, what if someone somehow out here in the middle of nowhere kidnaps them?

That's my point exactly. I don't begrudge someone having a gun and spending time target practicing every now and then, but to be THIS preoccupied with burglaries is silly, and worse than that in cases like this. I have a gun myself IN CASE, but other than firing off maybe 10 rounds a year to make sure it still works and I can aim, it's like insurance in that I don't even think about it. I choose to not be preoccupied with "what if" excessively. A life ruled by fear is no life at all, you might as well be dead already and get it over with.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-02-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Paranoia and gun craze are sort of psychological compensation, sometimes mega overcompensation. the feeling of insignificance, out of place, and out of control doesnt have many remedies in the modern world, the more intense the feeling the harder people cling to their guns, it is just like an infant pacifier. In my experience USA overall is a worlds capital of paranoia, rural or urban doesnt matter much. I speculate it is because people here are generally rootless mass floating from place to place on the mercy of the invisible masters, while having nothing and nobody (outside of institutions) to derive a sense of security from.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Living in a rural, dinky little town I have not had the same experience. I don't know anyone who worries or is obsessed with crime.
Yes most locals own guns. Is that what you mean about being paranoid about crime?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Living in a rural, dinky little town I have not had the same experience. I don't know anyone who worries or is obsessed with crime.
Yes most locals own guns. Is that what you mean about being paranoid about crime?
I think he is an antigun person, regardless of context. Using a nutjob to push his point.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
I moved from the big city to rural country. We aren't even near the "dinky little town". My nearest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away and there's woods between us. The only light around here is from the moon and stars. Not even any glow. So we moved to BFE from the REALLY big city - NYC. The one time I needed to call 911, I did solve the problem in an hour, by myself, and called 911 back to tell them to cancel the call. They still hadn't found anyone to respond.

Having been a take-it-or-leave it on the subject of guns, I find myself relieved to have a shotgun and pellet gun in the house. Along with 1 very noisy and scary dog and a bigger but quiet dog to back-up the very aggressively protective scary dog. The shotgun sits ready to grab, loaded.

You want my car? take it, you want the tools? take them. But you come in my house and you won't make it.

I'm not at all afraid on a daily basis. My dog will alert me long before you get 2 feet onto my property and one of us will have the gun in our hands. I had a single friend (who since moved away), who had crazy and criminal neighbors. She had 3 dogs who alerted her and she had her shotgun handy for when they or their guests came a knocking which they did on a couple of occasions. She was not paranoid in the least, just aware.

Knowing that calling 911 might get you a response within 2-3 hours and having your gun handy is common sense. Calling your husband to say you are on your way home so he is expecting you is common sense. That way your husband doesn't shoot you since he KNOWS you are coming.

Either he's lying or stupid.

BTW, the county fire dept has a saying: Never lost a foundation. Most homes burn 100% by the time the volunteer fire dept gets there - and hopefully they have a pumper truck because there ain't no fire hydrants since there ain't no city water.

Last edited by NY Annie; 02-02-2017 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-02-2017, 02:18 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I think he is an antigun person, regardless of context. Using a nutjob to push his point.
A distinct possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
... I'm not at all afraid on a daily basis. My dog will alert me long before you get 2 feet onto my property and one of us will have the gun in our hands. I had a single friend (who since moved away), who had crazy and criminal neighbors. She had 3 dogs who alerted her and she had her shotgun handy for when they or their guests came a knocking which they did on a couple of occasions. She was not paranoid in the least, just aware.
Sounds like a smart person.

Quote:
... BTW, the county fire dept has a saying: Never lost a foundation. Most homes burn 100% by the time the volunteer fire dept gets there - and hopefully they have a pumper truck because there ain't no fire hydrants since there ain't no city water.
Our nearest FD is very proud that they have never lost a stone or concrete fourndation.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:26 PM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Must be. Owning a gun or guns really has nothing to do with being paranoid of crime. The people I know don't have guns just because of crime.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The point is that being paranoid about crime can result in an awful tragedy. Imagine, being so paranoid about a burglar breaking into your house and harming your loved ones that you go over-the-top and in doing so end up causing the very harm yourself that you were worried about someone else doing. The very weapon meant to protect your loved ones was instead used to harm them, and by you of all people. What a burden to carry.

It may well be that the paranoia I spoke of is common in many areas, but what I'm saying is that I've especially noticed this with people in rural areas and if there is anyone whom you would think would be at-ease it would be people in the boonies like myself. Instead many of the ones I've met seem almost obsessed with the idea/possibility of a burglary, and I'm like "sorry, but our/your little area ain't all that." Moreover, whatever region, anyone thinking of using/buying a gun for protection better darned well also be just as vigilant about learning how to use it properly as being concerned about the possibility of a burglary to start with, what caliber to use, revolver or semi-auto, etc.
The whole mess with the guy shooting his wife - maybe accidentally, if accidentally, he didn't observe Rule Four: Be certain of your target and backstop before you shoot. (Rule One: All weapons are always loaded, Rule Two: Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy, Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger (outside the trigger guard) until your sights are on target.)

If I were involved with the investigation, I would look very hard at how this might be murder, not an accident.

You are quite right that merely possessing a firearm and ammunition for it no more makes one armed, than possessing a violin and some sheet music makes one a musician. Knowing how to use it is critical.

All of this holds equally true in the city as in the country. That said I am not certain I can figure out what your point is - are you trying to say that because the per-capita crime rate may be lower in most rural areas, that rural people don't need to be ready for what might well happen, even if it's unlikely?

As noted before, in the country you are likely to have to deal with a home invasion for tens of minutes to hours before you can expect any help from the Sheriff. Thus the desire for a more robust defense than might really be necessary in a built-up area. Although, "When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away" even in town.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's my point exactly. I don't begrudge someone having a gun and spending time target practicing every now and then, but to be THIS preoccupied with burglaries is silly, and worse than that in cases like this. I have a gun myself IN CASE, but other than firing off maybe 10 rounds a year to make sure it still works and I can aim, it's like insurance in that I don't even think about it. I choose to not be preoccupied with "what if" excessively. A life ruled by fear is no life at all, you might as well be dead already and get it over with.
If I ever have to shoot someone and I find myself in court, the opposing counsel might use my lack of regular practice (for the purpose of here, say that is the given) as a demonstration that I am reckless with a firearm.

Marksmanship is very perishable skill. Most people can probably hit the paper man at 15 yards, but what 25? or 35? What if he is moving? What if he is shooting at "you"? Can "you" move from out of cover, sight on your target, shoot, and get back under cover in two seconds?

It is not enough that I put some rounds into the paper man. Every round I fire must land in its intended target. If it doesn't, then I am risking a major incident should I ever have to shoot. If it doesn't, then I need more time on the range.

We talk about firearm responsibility in this thread but if one is not practicing regularly, they are not being too responsible at all.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 AM

82 posts, read 81,815 times
You are generalizing. What makes you think that all small town and rural people are paranoid of crime just because you hear of an occasional shooting or something on tv. Those things happen in cities too. I lived in big cities most of my life.

Around where I currently live (population 7,000), there are always notices in the paper and on tv by the police to lock your house and car doors. Many people do not because they think that we don't have that kind of crime around here. We have very little crime, but it does occur. Small town and rural people are typically too trusting.

Last summer, I was supposed to pick up a visiting uncle for lunch. He was staying at his sister and brother-in-law's house out in the country. I had been out there the year before so I knew approximately where it was, and he gave me the house description and the number on the rural mailbox. Well, the number was half rubbed off the mail box, but I found the house that looked like the one he described. I knocked on the door. No one answered. I went back to my car for 10 minutes, but no one came along. I was very concerned because my uncle is disabled. I called his wife (who was at the beauty shop) from my cell phone. She told me that he probably went for a ride on his scooter and to just go in and make myself at home until he got there. So I did. The door was not locked. I looked through all the rooms to make sure he hadn't fallen, because I knew he couldn't get up if he had. About 10 minutes later, I heard a car drive up. I went out and saw the man in it. I thought that it must be my uncle's brother-in-law. I said, "Are you Dave?" He said, "No...Dave lives in the next house down the road." I told him what happened, and he just laughed and said, "Happens all the time out here." He told me that no one locks their doors because they never have any crime in the area. Wow...was I embarrassed!

Last edited by Khloe; 02-03-2017 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living