Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,432,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I you need cheap, consider the Oklahoma panhandle. It's dry with mild winters and far from tornado alley.
The OK Panhandle, just like the Texas Panhandle below it and Kansas and southeastern Colorado above it, are very much in Tornado Alley.

That said, the overwhelming majority of tornados in the area cause little damage, because they are in sparsely populated areas.

The largest downside to the OK Panhandle is the roads are bloody awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
Definitely look into Wyoming. It has the wide open spaces, gun freedom, and the lack of people you're looking for. You can be as isolated as you want to be, but there are lots of outdoor activities to do when/if you want to be around others.

I live in Star Valley, Wy and it is a beautiful area. I checked Zillow and there some houses in your price range in Afton and surrounding areas. I'm sure you can negotiate to get what you want, for the price you want. Definitely visit the area first and see what you think.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Michigan's upper peninsula seems like it would work for you. Do you like snow?

I have seen largish properties as low as $500/acre but way out in the middle of nowhere. If you want to be near a town, I would suggest near Munising. big enough town to have most needed amnesties small enough to know you. There is a bigger city within an hour with no snow. There are also many smaller towns as you move inland form the lake, but it gets really empty pretty quickly. You can kill your dinner, chop wood for heat, water is no concern. The people, where there are people, fit your description of what you seek. You will want a snowmobile.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Michigan's upper peninsula seems like it would work for you. Do you like snow?

I have seen largish properties as low as $500/acre but way out in the middle of nowhere. If you want to be near a town, I would suggest near Munising. big enough town to have most needed amnesties small enough to know you. There is a bigger city within an hour with no snow. There are also many smaller towns as you move inland form the lake, but it gets really empty pretty quickly. You can kill your dinner, chop wood for heat, water is no concern. The people, where there are people, fit your description of what you seek. You will want a snowmobile.
Purchase permits are required for handguns. That's been the case in Michigan for sixty years.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Thank you very much everyone. It's amazing how many places you folks mention, I have already lived in, and many others mentioned I have considered. As has been mentioned, I think renting in any new area is the way to go, as much as I hate doing so. I'm at my wits end living in apartments, with all of the rude, noisy, inconsiderate people. Even "nice" duplexes, are the same... I gotta find a quiet, stand alone rental, and they can be rough to find.

It is a weird paradox I face; Retired at 50, could potentially move anywhere in the world I'd like, without regard to needing work, yet I think I'm facing analysis paralysis, and feeling stuck. I have all the time in the world, yet I don't know why I can't see the answer clearly? I'm guessing because I was married for 23 years, had a family, and all of the moves made, military and civilian, revolved around them and work. Now it's just me, and I'm not used to I guess, looking out just for me and what I want, not wanting to settle anymore, or not having any safety net/a partner to help.

Thanks again folks, and I'm hopeful something will click, and I can start my new life. Happy Easter, to those who celebrate, and have a great day.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
My suggestion is put your "absolutely must keeps" in bonded storage & go travel the road less traveled. Do not have a plan or any responsibilities to hinder your choices, just go.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Thank you very much everyone. ... I think renting in any new area is the way to go, as much as I hate doing so. I'm at my wits end living in apartments, with all of the rude, noisy, inconsiderate people. Even "nice" duplexes, are the same... I gotta find a quiet, stand alone rental, and they can be rough to find.

It is a weird paradox I face; Retired at 50, could potentially move anywhere in the world I'd like, without regard to needing work, yet I think I'm facing analysis paralysis, and feeling stuck. I have all the time in the world, ....
Don't take it so seriously, enjoy your freedom and try many places on to see what fits.

Consider house / pet / farm / plant sitting or caretaking in some of the regions you might enjoy. (many websites to help with that)

One of my ex-bosses (engineering manager) became a caretaker on a PNW island retreat for a wealthy family he saw once / yr. Worked well for 10+ yrs

When you choose some areas, get to know the locals and ask for people that may have a spare guest house. Over 50% of my rural neighbors have separate living spaces and sometimes rent them out short term (month - 24 months)

Travel using local stays (private residences)
Very interesting and informational. Several groups offer house sitters "wanted" forums.
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Old 04-18-2017, 02:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
It is a weird paradox I face; Retired at 50, could potentially move anywhere in the world I'd like,
without regard to needing work, yet I think I'm facing analysis paralysis, and feeling stuck.
You're trying to manage too many variables with one at-bat. Can't be done.

Pick one of the places.
Rent just about anything that is OK enough.
Make some friends there.

Then think about the next few things to do.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
Thanks again everyone. Can't say I haven't had thoughts of selling/storing just about everything, and living a nomadic/semi-nomadic life... For lack of a better word "a Hobo"; I simply don't know how, and it is a very foreign concept for me to structure, but the idea seems amazing.

I have had people IRL suggest living in a Buddest monastery, try to get a gig at a National Park with room and board, even travel Europe. I consider all suggestions, then what seems the realities, and doubt get in the way. What about medical insurance for a person with no fixed address? I have read you can perhaps enroll in certain religious based insurance to meet this goal??? If one house sits, how do you plan, if you can, for the next gig? Say you don't find another, do you live in a hotel waiting for another/something else? As for the short term rural rentals, I can't say I have ever seen any; guess I'm looking in the wrong places, and locations.

I have to admit, the idea of such incredible freedom is intoxicating, yet uncomfortable as well. I know on a physical reality, it would not be too difficult, as everything I own would fit in a small U-Haul van if I decided to store. The mechanics of this new life feels daunting, and I know I must simply take the plunge, some plunge, I just don't know where or how to aim my dive.

Last edited by Jay_F; 04-19-2017 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: pspelling.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:16 PM

45 posts, read 57,450 times
Quote:

I have to admit, the idea of such incredible freedom is intoxicating, yet uncomfortable as well. I know on a physical reality, it would not be too difficult, as everything I own would fit in a small U-Haul van if I decided to store. The mechanics of this new life feels daunting, and I know I must simply take the plunge, some plunge, I just don't know where or how to aim my dive.
Good luck OP, and I hope you keep us posted on what you end up doing.. as I am in a similar situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living