Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 PM

6 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

I think it's worth a try but I wouldn't move unless I had enough money to move somewhere else, if the "natives" aren't friendly. Also, an attractive young retiree may threaten established residents. Human nature is a funny thing. Pictures are lovely. Good luck.

It's worth a try. I'd put away funds in case it doesn't work and you want to move. The cliques in town, if established already just may not be friendly and it's a real issue.

Last edited by volosong; 09-16-2017 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Why so many blank lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I lived in a larger small town for 35 years but not on my own and I worked part-time in city government in planning. The dynamics of small town living are a little different than many people think if they haven't experienced it. Certain things, churches for example, play a larger role than in larger cities. Often there will be a handful of extended families and many people are related and that might have a bearing on how things are done (or maybe not). You will have a 30 minute or more drive for shopping or healthcare and maybe entertainment. As the county seat there will be a sheriff and prosecutor offices and judges. Is there a library? You might be able to be accepted if you are a volunteer in some way. People will get to know you and you will know them. Are there any other people retiring there? Are there any senior services?
To answer some of your questions, yes there is a library. There is also a senior center which provides rides to seniors within town or county for shopping and other things. They also have meals provided several days a week for seniors living alone that need this service. The senior center seems to be quite active here and provides several programs. The town itself has a large number of seniors and small number of younger people and children. I believe seniors 55 and older make up about 37 percent of the towns population which is much higher than the state's average for demographics.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I did 37 years ago. I still remember driving from Richmond, VA to get there (had a job interview) and being blown away by the beauty of the area. I rented part of an antebellum house on a farm. Going to shop in the nearest town across the river was a big deal! I used to make it an all day trip to save on gas and stretch out the fun. Of course, that town only had about 5,000 people, but where I lived only had around 750 or so and was right on the water. I found the local people to be very warm and welcoming, and so have stayed in and around the area since then. I wouldn't trade the memories or the experience for anything!

Old 09-16-2017, 09:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm planning my retirement which is about 4 years away. For most of my life, I've wanted to live in a small town away from the rat race, traffic, and crime.
I totally understand you wanting to do this. I was born in the Los Angeles area and spent the whole of my pre-retirement life within 100 miles of where I was born. It is no secret that the area has become something very much different than in my youth.

Used to think it was the greatest place in the world, and why would anyone want to be someplace else. Then I had my own personal 'eye opening' experience. Joined the Navy and did as their recruitment motto says, "Join the Navy and see the world". Los Angeles was never the same after that. But stuck around for a great career.

Now that I'm retired, I have moved to a small town. Maybe not as small as the definition for this forum, but way small in my life experiences. It is a fast-growing town somewhere between 7,000 and 8,000. If someone characterizes the town as a "bedroom community", there would be little bases for opposing that viewpoint. It lies about 7-8 miles across farmland to the next larger communities, and about 20-25 miles from a major regional urban center with an 'international' airport. The international part is questionable. Being close to the Canadian border, maybe there is a flight across the border which qualifies it as 'international'. In reality, to get anywhere, you'll need to change planes at some larger hub.

The town itself has a small 'downtown' which isn't much to brag about. Two fast-food places that I know of, maybe another. Two signals, both at the ends of the bridge that crosses the train tracks to state numbered highways. Two super markets and two hardware stores. To do any real shopping, I head to the nearby regional town which has more shopping that one would want. Even a Costco, which delights me but I wonder why it is located in a city of 55,000 instead of the one with an airport which has a far greater population.

There is good medical care in the larger, nearby town. I have my first Medicare doctor's appointment next Tuesday. The town I moved to only has a pharmacy and an urgent care clinic. The hospital is in the larger town. My town has a senior center, as do all the towns around here; but I have not visited yet. The church of my denomination is located about 15 miles away. No problem because Sundays are lazy days anyway.

My house is located in a 55+ development and I have found the people to be so incredible friendly. It is really wonderful and everything I could hope for. I came by myself, not knowing anyone. Making friends never entered into my thought process when deciding where I wanted to live. But, I have made a few anyway.

Quote:
Am I foolish to consider such a move by myself when I will be in my early 60s? I don't dare ask this question in the retirement forum because I would be overwhelmed by small town haters.
Surprised you'd think the retirement forum folk would run you off. There are certainly those who wouldn't understand. I don't think you'd be foolish to consider moving to a small town in your early 60's. I'm mid-60s and making the move.

Then again, I'm fairly active doing all kinds of stuff. The other week, spent four days volunteering at the last Coeur d'Alene Ironman Triathlon. Next weekend, I'll be spending two days helping out at the Coeur d'Fondo, (all-day bicycle ride/race). Was going to ride it myself, but decided to get into a little bit better physical shape before. Next year. North Idaho is an outdoorman's paradise and once I get the boxes unpacked, I'll be doing something or other pretty much every day.

If you are one of those who are comfortable 'marching to a different drum' and embrace adventure, opportunity, and new experiences; I think you won't have any problems moving to a smaller town. Don't worry if the locals don't welcome you with open arms. Unless you're running for an elective office, don't fret about it. When you run off the road into a ditch, they'll be there to pull you out.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-16-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 10:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Would I move to a small town alone? No, but that's not a good fit for me. I'd die of loneliness. If you feel it's a good fit for you, then go for it. I might rent for awhile in case it's not what you want. You can always move again if it doesn't work out. I love old towns like that, but I couldn't live there without knowing somebody.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
I'd go for it! I did it twice; once at 45 and again at 50. So I was working and didn't experience loneliness. Plus I was on Match.com, LOL, so that added some interest. And I had my horse. People were friendly, I thought.

Only problem with the retirement forum folks is that most of them want to be next door to a world-class medical center, symphony, live theater, Trader Joe's, famous university, senior center, library....and walk to all of it.

I lived for 10 years half an hour away from any services; no problem at all. As someone else said, just takes some planning, a cooler with ice blocks, list of places to go.

Your town looks lovely from the pictures.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
A lot of good responses, and many issues raised, including healthcare; but I don't think enough has been said about health care. Anyone over 60 needs to be fairly close to a decent health facility with an emergency room. Since you know the towns and surrounding area, you need to keep this in mind as it is not something we can determine for you.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My advice is not to do it. I moved to a town of 5,000, and it was just so small. The cliques are so established. I tried volunteering at about a half dozen different places, and found the cliques so established and not welcoming at all. Not to say everyone was terrible.

Good luck to you.
The small town one chooses makes a big difference. Crescent City was an unfortunate choice and anyone who knows the town knows what I mean. A friend of mine lived there for five years-job related. You were smart to leave that place. I live near a town of 5000 and the people are open and friendly. Like I said it depends on the particular town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
A lot of good responses, and many issues raised, including healthcare; but I don't think enough has been said about health care. Anyone over 60 needs to be fairly close to a decent health facility with an emergency room. Since you know the towns and surrounding area, you need to keep this in mind as it is not something we can determine for you.
I think some retirees are too focused on health care. Over 60? That only makes sense if you are in poor health at age 61.

Truth be told I'd rather die in paradise 10 years early, living my dream, than to be in some big city next to a world class hospital.

Quote:
To answer some of your questions, yes there is a library. There is also a senior center which provides rides to seniors within town or county for shopping and other things. They also have meals provided several days a week for seniors living alone that need this service. The senior center seems to be quite active here and provides several programs. The town itself has a large number of seniors and small number of younger people and children. I believe seniors 55 and older make up about 37 percent of the towns population which is much higher than the state's average for demographics.
Good to know! Sounds more promising. You should see if you can rent a room for a few weeks to experience the place.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
It looks to be a beautiful part of the state. And you're not that far from Lexington. I prefer more rural to urban or suburban, but my wife likes her creature comforts. But fitting in is going to depend on where you're from and what kind of activities you like. Coming from Alaska I wouldn't be treated with the same level of suspicion as someone from California or New Jersey. There is an American Legion post there, so I would be welcomed by my fellow Legionnaires. At the Legion and other places I'd find people who share the same interests as me, such as shooting, flying, Jeeping and other pursuits that guys engage in. I could easily see myself fitting in in such a place. But it's different for everyone.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Have you thought about a smaller suburb of a larger city?

Aging, the lack of a hospital would be alarming to me. Emergency clinics just don't cut it in small towns.

Also, I hate to say this but you'll have a much easier time as a male than a female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living