Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
I've pm'd you

Is it some secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
It is!! If we told you, we'd have to seek you out, and keep you quiet!!!

Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM

436 posts, read 302,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Is it some secret?
He asked what state she lives in. Likely she gave more info which isn't your beeswax anyhow

Old 11-27-2017, 01:51 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Right now we live in a very small village in the Midwest USA and we are surrounded by cornfields. Any strip malls and big box stores are about 20 to 30 min drive. No fast food or chains stores allowed to set up shop within the village. We have two large state parks and a little park with a pond at the edge of the village. There are bike trails where the old railroad tracks used to be. Culturally it is a very rich little village given its size but the downside is the nearest city has no appeal for me whatsoever. still life here has a slow pace, strong community, and it's been a real joy to live here the last 15 years.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:38 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
If we hadn't found Michigan, PA was next on our list. We have visited it a couple times, and it is a beautiful place to live.
Congrats!
Northern Michigan was on our list too for a while. Maybe some day......

Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Just got back on CD as I have had to come back to the UK.

Can't wait to get back to the peace and quiet back in France.

Christmas mayhem round here.

Mrs J has been to a lovely local Christmas Carol service this evening in the nearest town (in France). She went with our French neighbours from Georgia! Bonsoir Y'All!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Just got back on CD as I have had to come back to the UK.

Can't wait to get back to the peace and quiet back in France.

Christmas mayhem round here.

Mrs J has been to a lovely local Christmas Carol service this evening in the nearest town (in France). She went with our French neighbours from Georgia! Bonsoir Y'All!
Just curious, do you take the train through the "chunnel" or go by ferry, or fly, or what?

Or maybe do different vehicles for different times of year?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just curious, do you take the train through the "chunnel" or go by ferry, or fly, or what?

Or maybe do different vehicles for different times of year?
Arrived back here in France yesterday. Phew.

For us, if we are driving, then the most convenient route is to use the Caen/Portsmouth ferry. I took the overnight ferry last night, taking advantage of a window of good weather, and got a bit of sleep in my cabin.

After that it was a drive of around 350 miles, which takes around six hours. So I was back here for a bite to eat around 2pm.

We have used the 'Chunnel' many times in the past, but for our location here, and because I head back to central southern England, it makes little sense to use it these days. It would require a drive to, and then around, London and then out to Folkstone. The French side wold require a nearly nine hour drive. One route takes you around Paris (no thank you!) the other right through Rouen, which is a PITA.

Flights are easy and cheap, so they get used at times especially if we can sort out cars the other side. There is a year round route from Bergerac to Southampton which is great, and even better- it's not Ryanair!

Thankfully I don't have to go back until maybe Easter.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 AM

The local villages are beautifully decorated for the Christmas festivities. It will be our first Christmas in France though I've been staying in France leading up to it before.

Much shuts down here during the winter but our local hotel/restaurant is open for a Christmas lunch today. We're off there in three hours with our neighbours from Georgia.

Are there decorations and events in your neck of the woods?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Are there decorations and events in your neck of the woods?
not in my immediate area. We are very rural but the towns nearby have street decorations and the mom n pop shops are decorated. Nashville, TN is about an hour away and they always decorate to drop even the worst cynic's jaw

Being retired to the SE U.S. So we still have some green on the ground and the Bradford Pear trees didn't lose all their leaves until two weeks ago.

I took this picture of one of my horses last Saturday, mainly because I wanted to see if his topline has improved since we fenced off a hill section of the main pasture for him, or was it my imagination, lol

To my delight, I didn't realize the sun's rays were surrounding him when I took the pic with my cell phone. Many folks call these "God Fingers". He is 22 and has had more than his share of illness and accidents -seeing him surrounded by sun rays -----well ----- this may very well be a picture that ends up in an 8 X 10

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	840.9 KB
ID:	193468
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living