Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:16 AM

116 posts, read 436,914 times

Advertisements

Relatives of mine where so happy to be able to retire when they both reached 65. They were also happy to be able to move out of the big City and into the small town in Southern MN they grew up in years ago. Trouble was, the friendly small town they remembered from their youth had changed. Instead of friendly they found a closed society of small minded poorly educated people who did not like outsiders. I suspect this is the case in many small towns all over America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Relatives of mine where so happy to be able to retire when they both reached 65. They were also happy to be able to move out of the big City and into the small town in Southern MN they grew up in years ago. Trouble was, the friendly small town they remembered from their youth had changed. Instead of friendly they found a closed society of small minded poorly educated people who did not like outsiders. I suspect this is the case in many small towns all over America.
The world has changed. Look at you and me. We are not out talking to our neighbors, we are talking on the INTERNET.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
I suspect this is the case in many small towns all over America.
Based on a an indirect sample of one? Well, in my sample of one, I've found that not to be true. My neighbors gather weekly for coffee and chat, and we have retired couples, artists, farmers, ranchers, a doctor, a contractor, a forest service worker, a railroad worker, a real estate agent and a logger on disability. We certainly do NOT have the same political opinions, and it gets ... lively, but everyone comes back most every week.

True, we have certain peole we're closer to, and "visit" with and have dinner parties with, but we're all friendly, even the once I vehemently disagree with.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM

564 posts, read 2,342,471 times
Yep, and there are rude, cold and cliquish people in cities with a million people in them. There are everywhere. What's your point?

How mature is it to make an assumption on "most small towns in America" (which is THOUSANDS OF TOWNS) on one? Give me a break.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
I would say this- in many small towns and even some neighbourhoods in larger cities- people tend to know each other and form close knit communities. They are often suspicious of outsiders- especially small town folks who see big city folks moving in. Sometimes they think that big city people are a threat to their way of life (and sometimes they are proven right). But if your politics, culture and personality match theirs, evetually they will warm up to you and you too will be part of the clique. But they will be really hacked if you move there with the 'tude "hey I am a college educated big city transplant and I am here to show you hicks the right way to do things".

Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
Quote:
Ive heard this about many places in Minnesota.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 AM

116 posts, read 436,914 times
Yes, there are many people in small towns who are very friendly to outsiders but I suspect this is not common. I suspect that many people in small towns are isolated from the ways of the big city and feel threatened by people who are different than they are. Just a hunch and it is impossible to come up with what the true situation is in every town. But with boards such as this maybe others can tell their personal experiences.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I would wager the opposite POV.

I have travelled this country from West to East, from East to West, from North to South--and it is rare that I encounter anything but friendly, and this is not pie in the sky experiences. I am not an easy sell, but I generally find folks are friendly if I am friendly.

The notion that small town rural folks are insular is also an out of date and retro notion. In this community we have an average educational level of graduate school, with some having post-graduate degrees, and some who haven't made it through high-school, but their knowledge base is extra-ordinary, filled with laughter and life experience and smarts of the important kind. What is more important than really living and living on the land?

Take a trip away from politically correct urban cities and give it a try and then make a judgment.

The only bite you'll get is a mosquito!

Quote:
Yes, there are many people in small towns who are very friendly to outsiders but I suspect this is not common. I suspect that many people in small towns are isolated from the ways of the big city and feel threatened by people who are different than they are. Just a hunch and it is impossible to come up with what the true situation is in every town. But with boards such as this maybe others can tell their personal experiences.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
So just because people are "stand offish" and suspicious of newcomers they are close minded and uneducated?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,323 times
I actually found this to be true when I moved from a city in Fla to a small town NH.. The people are in a bubble, where nothing in the world is important except what happens in that town and whatever happens as small as it is is usually handled as if its the end of the world. Most of the people have never even left the town, they don't graduate highschool and instead opt to simply carry on the family business of farming or what not. They are not friendly to outsiders because outsiders bring change and theydon't like that at all. They feel threatened.. They are also nosey and used to knowing everyone and their business and want to know yours... Needless to day I'm moving back to Fla in 4 weeks and I'm actually here right now for 2 weeks to get away from that small town mind set.. It drives me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living