Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That may be one clue for them, looking at the photos when a home is for sale, noting the recent remodel, and then waiting for the new buyer to move in and try to inspect. When they see a 1940s home with granite countertops, and marble around the jetted tub, but no permits on file it raises a red flag.
When we were in California (Contra Costa County) they actually had a helicopter that would look for additions/remodels from the air to make sure they were permitted. Even a dumpster in the driveway is a clue. The don't like to miss out on tax revenue.
Why would you need a permit for flooring or tilework? Some cities do require permits to bring kitchen electrical up to code if the original is more than a certain age, but that's easy enough to accomplish without pulling a permit. Just make sure you have an outlet two feet from a sink and that kind of thing. Then you're in compliance and it would be hard to cite someone for a compliant kitchen. They won't have any basis for an assessment nor even be able to prove that the outlet wasn't there when the house was constructed.

Not sure about fitting a jacuzzi tub in place of a standard tub...that might need a permit if it requires new electrical and plumbing runs. It would also be hard to argue you had a jacuzzi tub in 1945.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
OP, I see you live in CA. Your property taxes are based one thing only: the sale price you paid. Pure and simple. Your county is not going by the law of CA.

Where I live you don’t need a permit for a kitchen remodel. We did that no issue. The carport we added did require a permit. No big deal

Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM

436 posts, read 302,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
OP, I see you live in CA. Your property taxes are based one thing only: the sale price you paid. Pure and simple. Your county is not going by the law of CA.

Where I live you don’t need a permit for a kitchen remodel. We did that no issue. The carport we added did require a permit. No big deal
Yes which is why I think they are unhappy with that set rate. Hopefully we won't see an increase.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
They aren't nearly as bad as the stories I heard.
Because you were getting all riled up by your gossipy neighbors. It's one of the worst parts of living in a small town.

Just because someone works for the county in one capacity doesn't mean they actually know how things work in another department.

It's always better to go to the source and ask, and then verify that info yourself, rather than taking your "neighbor's sister who's a deputy who's married to an attorney's" word for it.

ESPECIALLY when you're new in town.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
We bought land last spring and had the foundations done, then sat waiting for our house in another state to sell so we could go forward with building. It took longer than expected. During this pause, we got a letter from the county requesting that we call for an appointment to meet the assessor at our new home. I called the guy and told him what we were going to build, that the foundations were in and nothing else, but he was welcome to go look at it if he wanted. He laughed and said No need to do anything until after the build was finished, that they would catch up with us then, and thanks for responding. I get the feeling many people’s response is the same as what I heard one guy claim: “I refuse to let the assessor in the door.”

I need to find out just what they can legally do. Looking at the property to verify what I told him—no problem; there is nothing to hide. They know a residence is being built on what was vacant land on part of an old ranch...kaCHING as the annual tax payment goes from some absurdly tiny amount to something with four figures! Fair enough, and we have all permits and paperwork squared away.

However, if it is a game of arriving unannounced or creeping around hunting for a GOTCHA, I consider that just plain rude. I hope they will act professional and only within their bounds. They’ll get our full cooperation if they do.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Not quite...

Reassessment if not otherwise exempt, such as with a parent child transfer or grandparent grandchild transfer, is based on Fair Market Value at the Time of Transfer... it is true the Assessor often considers a Arms Length Brokered Sale to be acceptable in meeting the Fair Market requirement... but not always.

I bought a home at probate and it took years to settle... it was a very good buy as the neglect was nothing more than deep cleaning and cutting back decades of overgrown landscape... in the end... we agreed on a stipulated value that was 7k over what I paid... still a bargain.

Assessor must also add improvements to the Tax Base... and this is why it is common for site visits during the first year post sale... especially when the MLS has 30 pictures of the home at the time of sale...

The Assessor is a MLS member and has full access and I have been in the office where the Assessor pulled up all the details of the sale...

Often buying a home As-Is has made my encounters more frequent... hoping to find improvements to add to the tax base.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
County appraisers DO NOT randomly drop by to access a home and I WOULD NOT just let them in!! In our area the only way they are coming by to access the value inside is if you're contesting your property tax bill. Otherwise the county goes by square footage and sales price. However, they may check square footage on the outside.

I did have an assessor come by do look at our patio once after we put it in and he knocked on the door because the gate was locked. He proceeded to tell me that our patio did not cost $5k as we reported and that it was more like a $15k patio. I told him we paid $5k and he could see the canceled check and he said we must have known someone that did the work. I told him doesn't matter, we paid $5k. I made a copy of the check for him and he left, our property was assessed $5k more.

BTW......never just let some random stranger in your home! That's how people get robbed and killed!
It's not random. Physical reassessments only happen every few years, on a schedule, usually on a 10 year rotation. New buildings or additions can be spotted from GIS data, and will trigger a reassessment.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
A Hellicopter, wow. That's hardcore. That County is pretty wealthy, this one not so much.

The photos of this house are very clear, and it has no trees around it. So google sattelite images are pretty good.
When we sell this and downsize, we will live where we can have a gate in front.

The Assessors Office is adjacent the Building Dept. When he remodeled, he called out the Building Inspector but never had the final remodel finalized. Partially because he lost his wife -AND- ended up getting in a fatal car crash killing the other driver. He had it rough and just put the house on the market. He did get it finalized but was unhappy with us. He asked for more $$ which we provided him for the sale.

When the town is this tiny, you already know they were informed of the inside. The offices are small and adjacent each other. Sharing buildings. The photos are very clear. I was going to offer to get the info and bring it over but can see their all buddies. The sheriffs dept is within just feet away. Once one County official comes in, no doubt they are eyes and ears for the other departments
I think all counties now do high resolution aerial mapping. Chances are you can look at your property on the county web site. Resolution is much better than the Google satellite stuff. They do low altitude flights and stitch it together in software.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Yes, happened to us; they keep coming back and eventually bring the police to make you open the door. It's another technique to maximize local taxes. You don't have any choice; they can assess more than market value, and max out the millage rate too.

They won't be satisfied until we're all taxed out of our paid-for homes, which is why my house is going on the market ASAP, so I can move to the middle of the nation and pay only for the services I get--instead of a fatcat aristocracy of crooks.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeFace View Post
No trespassing signs could deter them from showing up without notice by when it's time.
Wrong. A no trespassing sign is not applicable for appraisers to appraise property. They are not trespassing when they come onto property for appraisal purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living