Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:15 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Tell the neighbor you hunt on your property and it's dangerous for their dog. I agree with checking the local law and talking to them first to see if they're good or bad neighbors. Good ones, and hopefully you're set. Bad ones, call someone to deal with the problem.
Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 05:19 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
If the dog scares deer from your lazy bait station, it's doing God's work.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:36 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
I don't understand. You want to hunt the land, but it's in a neighborhood? Wouldn't that disturb the neighbors in this neighborhood?

Also, you're baiting the deer, in order to hunt them in the neighborhood? Doesn't that seem a bit, ummm, unsportmanlike?

If the neighbors are close enough that their dog wanders over, isn't it too close to people to hunt on that land? It seems as if bullets might fly over onto other peoples' property. You might even accidentally shoot a neighbor.

Maybe you should sell this, and just hunt on wide open public lands during hunting season, instead of on a small piece of land that you bait deer on, in a neighborhood.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
If you have a hunting license you can hunt on your own land (for the particular species named).

Old 08-28-2018, 06:09 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
Where I live, you don't even need a hunting license to hunt your own land.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:14 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Ummm ding dong your wrong. Love when people who don't hunt think they know the laws.
You can hunt whatever you want on your land so long as 1. It is in season, and 2. Your property is large enough, or far enough away from a dwelling.
Here in NY you can legally hunt deer with a bow no closer than 150 FEET, not yards, from a dwelling.

The problem is that the OP said he wants to hunt his land.

It doesn't matter if he wants to do yoga on his property. The fact remains the dog does not belong there, and the owners are being highly irresponsible to the point of breaking the law.
You let me know what city, town, or state has a law saying one can let their dog roam free through your property and poop there? Please let me know.

Guess what, there isn't. What there are however, are laws protecting property owners from said animals running a much there. Again, dog owners, please be responsible, keep your dog in YOUR yard, not mine, not my property.

Like I said, he has options. Catch the dog and drop it off at an animal shelter. Clearly the owners don't care enough about Fido.

Then there is always the SSS option, but you would indeed be breaking the law.

Last edited by grouse789; 08-28-2018 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.
Recently, a new resident moved in across the road onto a (2 or 3-acre) parcel with a fixer upper small home.
I only seen him once just before he moved into the house but now I see his dog everytime I go to my property.
His dog pops up out of nowhere and barks at me like I'm the intruder. Pretty scary dog though because all I have to do is stop my feet and it runs off.
I don't like it running free onto my property because it can scare off deer and other wildlife.
I just put up game cameras this past weekend and what do I see but that miserable dog on my property at all different hours of the day and night.
It shows it taking a **** right where I see a deer in a previous video and right where I put out deer corn.
Before I saw the videos of the dog, I was just going to send an anomynous letter to the owner asking him to keep his dog under control and on his property but now I'm really peed off and am thinking of contacting animal control (sheriff's office) or worse.
Any suggestions?
What kind of dog? I would, depending on the breed, either call animal control (or feed it enough to catch it and take it to the pound), or practice the three Ss (shoot, shovel, and shut up).

Old 08-28-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.
Only if they find out.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post

Like I said, he has options. Catch the dog and drop it off at an animal shelter. Clearly the owners don't care enough about Fido.

Then there is always the SSS option, but you would indeed be breaking the law.
I should have read the comments first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living