Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 180,338 times

Advertisements

Today neighbor's dog that she let's out at times was outside my door and growled at and advanced at my wife. I followed the dog, which roamed the neighborhood freely for a full hour while I waited for animal control. Unfortunately, animal control didn't come in time and the police stated they can only pick up a dog that is loose. I know the house number, but they said call next time we see the dog and that's all I can do. Also, another neighbor said the woman who owns the dog is confrontational so I would hesitate to directly talk with her.

Is this really all that can be done?

Last edited by AlDesign; 10-26-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Use a flip video or other camcorder device to record the dog roaming around. If you can follow the dog with it to record it actually going home, do so. Call animal control and show it to them. If they can't/won't then show it to the police. If they do nothing, put the video on a DVD and anonymously send it to the neighbor with a note saying a civil lawsuit will be filed against her family (you probably couldn't do this, but what the heck). Remember - "anonymous". Do not confront her directly.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default Carry Pepper Spray And Wait For "IT" To Bite Someone............

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDesign View Post
Today neighbor's dog that she let's out at times was outside my door and growled at and advanced at my wife. I followed the dog, which roamed the neighborhood freely for a full hour while I waited for animal control. Unfortunately, animal control didn't come in time and the police stated they can only pick up a dog that is loose. I know the house number, but they said call next time we see the dog and that's all I can do. Also, another neighbor said the woman who owns the dog is confrontational so I would hesitate to directly talk with her.

Is this really all that can be done?
Your whole family and everyone in the Neighborhood should
carry pepper spray for self defense , and keep your pets on a
lease or secure in a fensed yard.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:53 PM

106 posts, read 232,436 times
Even though she's confrontational, you should most definately be a big boy and go confront her in a nice way. Unless she's known to murder neighbors on her front porch with a shotgun, I'd consider walking over (w/ maybe a knife in the pocket, if your afraid of Kujo), knock on the door, and simply ask, "Do you mind keeping your dog locked up? If you don't, I'm going to have to call animal control because I fear for my safety when the dog is loose...." If the person seems unreasonable after that, then I would move on to a diff set of tactics like mentioned above, but you should always talk to the person first instead of immediately engaging in passive-aggressive, covert tattle tale behavior.

After you read this post, stop what your doing, get off the computer, and go talk to the lady.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM

236 posts, read 698,601 times
I agree -- talk to her first. Her dog doesn't have the right to roam freely. Pet owners tend to think it's no big deal...'oh, my dog wouldn't hurt anyone...'. Famous last words before the mauling.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 PM

237 posts, read 457,943 times
i agree with the the poster about going to confront the neighbor. Since someone apparently has already brought the problem to her attention, you going over may light the bulb to make her see she needs to take care of the issue. If she does become rowdy, do not argue back, just politely let her know that you will take whatever action necessary to take care of it for her. get your camcorder ready and if you live in a neighborhood with some sort of neighborhood association, get written statements from neighbors who have witnessed the problem along with your video and present it to them.
It would really **** me off if I had a neighbor who could not or would not control their pets. Especially if it showed up on my property showing signs of aggression. UNACCEPTABLE! If it were me, depending on the level of aggression, being that I have kids around playing a lot, I would have pulled out the BB gun.
There is too much to worry about as it is in the world, the last thing that you should have to deal with is a neighbors aggressive animal. She needs to be let known, regardless of how offended she is, she has to deal with it.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 PM

I may have to do that. I found out this is not a new problem. My next door neighbor dealt with the dog twice and is afraid to go down the street. Maybe the woman is crazy! Maybe I should get another neighbor to go with me...

Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 AM

26 posts, read 181,095 times
If the dog bothers your family again, shoot it. There's nothing wrong with disposing of vicious animals, especially if you can prevent them from hurting other people or forming into a predatory pack.

Try to do it anonymously; you'd almost certainly be within your legal rights, but there's no reason to risk a lawsuit from the owner. "Shoot, shovel, and shut up", as we like to say in cattle country.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,562 times
I'm the voice of dissent, here- if the OP's intuition is that the owner is hostile and therefore unreceptive, she just may be.

I'm guessing the rest of you have had the luxury of dealing only with non-violent people who can be reasoned with.

Low lifes, though, can be very hostile and can view your coming onto their property for the purpose of asking them to take responsibility for their animal as an offense. Generally, low lifes will let their kids or their pets act to others' detriment and will be defensive of those actions. More generally, low lifes take offense if you ask them to change their behavior as they presume an entitlement to do what they want, everyone else be damned.

You just can't reason with such people and the very fact that the OP's neighbor lets her dog roam the neighborhood leaves me with the impression that she is such a person.

It's the police's job to deal with low lifes, not the OP's.

I can wholeheartedly agree with the advice that the OP remain anonymous, though, which would be lost if the OP goes and presents himself to the dog's owner.

Just IMO.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 AM

Unfortunately, the police (770-513-5100) said that since the dog is not roaming, there's nothing they can do?!? Maybe that's the wrong number for police intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta