Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I'm not completely sure myself. At least it looks that way compared to previous generations before me, even though they had their own problems too. Most of the bad and corruption back then didn't seem as "bad" as it is today. Who knows, it's already way more difficult for raising a family since everything has gotten so more expensive. I know some people say that it's not totally extinct, but the pool of those "eligible" for achieving enough money and success for that is getting more narrow.

How are many people that confident about being able to be successful with any field, to be able to do something major like having kids? Especially if you are under 40. And singleness and divorce rates very high today (little more so for men than women), it doesn't look like anything good to me.

It's only because you're hearing about it 24/7 nowadays. Internet, tv, papers, magazines. Hell.. even the stinking food magazines I get have to put at least 1 politically charged article in each month it seems. So, if you don't tune out, and you don't believe in God or prayer... well.. good luck to ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
This is going to be kind of long.

Can I just go find a community in America where most of the people just live-and-let-be or relatively more removed from the climate and despair today? What are my options? I am having a hard time putting these thoughts in myself.
Interesting since I live in one of the most liberal areas in the USA (MA) and we have a popular GOP Gov. and many of my neighbors are Republican....

and NO ONE tries to force their issues on others.

I think you will find much more such partisan BS (spoken or unspoken) in rural areas....and I have lived in many (WV, TN).......

Old 09-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
It's only because you're hearing about it 24/7 nowadays. Internet, tv, papers, magazines. Hell.. even the stinking food magazines I get have to put at least 1 politically charged article in each month it seems. So, if you don't tune out, and you don't believe in God or prayer... well.. good luck to ya.
Well, I don't believe in aliens or sky beings and as far as prayer, I'd leave it at contemplation, since 100's of millions of dollars has proven that prayer doesn't work.

BUT, avoidance is a overlooked way of dealing with much of the modern world.

Tune out, drop out, tune in...or something like that...was pushed by Tim Leary. Still applies.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
OP, I think you are having a mental crisis. You can't move away from yourself. Solve your problems where you are. Politics really doesn't affect anyone personally, any more than who wins the superbowl or world series does. Even if it has an effect it's beyond your control. I'm a life long liberal. All my friends are conservative. We just don't discuss politics. If they say something disparaging about liberals I just say I am a liberal and I disagree with you. That generally kills the conversation and we move onto other topics. All my friends respect my right to have a differing opinion than they do and I do the same. For people who can't help themselves from engaging in constant political rants, I just avoid talking to them or snooze them on facebook. Arguing religion or politics is pointless because no one ever changes anyone's mind. Live and let live pretty much depends on you. Going off to become a hermit sounds a bit like Ted Kaczynski (the Unibomber). It didn't solve his political anxiety, it just intensified it.
Politics affects some people directly. I have an old friend on SS and Medicare. A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer, and had surgery and chemo. Expenses not covered by Medicare ate all his savings. He's barely keeping the lights on with SS. The SNAP cuts means he no longer is able to buy enough food to survive. A charitable food pantry helps, but he is unable to carry bags of groceries from the pantry home. He is 5' 10" tall, and down to 123 lbs. He's an artist who sells paintings, but if nothing sells that month he has to go about a week without food. At 69 years of age, he is slowly starving to death. I send him care packages, because Congress told him to shut up and die.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:43 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I thought the Senate rejected the cuts to SNAP on the Farm Bill in June. Has any of the cuts actually been passed?

Why would anyone deplete their savings to pay medical bills. My daughter used to do medical billing and collections and people would make deals to pay $5 a month against an enormous hospital bill. If you are on SS and Medicaid, there's really nothing that can be done to you if you don't pay.

Aren't there food kitchens where your friend can eat a meal? Can he use a wagon to walk the free groceries home? Can he make multiple trips with light loads or can he pay someone a couple of dollars to pull the wagon for him?

It sounds like something is missing from your story about your friend. Is his cancer in remission? Does he have an appetite? If he truly can't afford food he should move into a boarding house or rent a room from someone so his SS will allow him to put on 50 lbs. and have a bed to sleep in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Politics affects some people directly. I have an old friend on SS and Medicare. A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer, and had surgery and chemo. Expenses not covered by Medicare ate all his savings. He's barely keeping the lights on with SS. The SNAP cuts means he no longer is able to buy enough food to survive. A charitable food pantry helps, but he is unable to carry bags of groceries from the pantry home. He is 5' 10" tall, and down to 123 lbs. He's an artist who sells paintings, but if nothing sells that month he has to go about a week without food. At 69 years of age, he is slowly starving to death. I send him care packages, because Congress told him to shut up and die.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Yeah, well I had a lot more on my mind about it then what I said in my OP.
I just want to be left alone better than where I am right now.

This is just me rambling a little bit, I am just overwhelmed by being in a more populated area. In the county where I live, I live right outside the principle city in a suburb, but even here the suburb/town is more than 50,000 population. I'd be interested in less than 20,000 or less than 10,000 (or even under 1,000). It will be preferable that if the nearest big area wasn't as close near relatively speaking.
How are people bothering you? In bigger cities, people complain about being isolated. What are you doing that people aren't leaving you alone? This doesn't make sense.

Last edited by charlygal; 09-11-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One poster here says if he believes in a sky-being, that will save him......maybe multiply those crumbs into whole loaves.

Another poster here tells us the millions who make big bucks from "defense" are all anti-war, without understanding that it is your friend they are at war against. Their yacht is his death sentence.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
It might depend if you'd be happy in a vacuous place where people mostly just talk about the weather. That makes me even unhappier.

I agree that these are contentious times, but they may not last - and in any case, isn't it on some level a civic duty to stay engaged?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
The whole thing is getting a little overwhelming these days. Even places that didn't used to be involved with politics are having discussions and some of the groups are losing members they shouldn't due to opposing political views.

I live in a small town, population about 2,500, and this is where political views should have no bearing on one's day to day life. We have absolutely no say in what elected officials at the Federal level choose to do, so discussing it among ourselves does nothing for us, doesn't help the world at large and just causes trouble. When it's time to vote, we can get engaged with it all, but until then, it's not productive.

Perhaps you could find happiness by finding a new interest? Some sort of hobby or project you've been thinking of doing? Find a social group based around something benign and hope politics isn't a consuming topic at their gatherings. Maybe a gardening group? Get a dog or borrow a dog to take walking? Dogs are pretty non-political.

Here's some reading to go with your morning hot beverage every day: Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata" It's from 1952, but still pretty relevant today. At one point it was set to music.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:41 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I thought the Senate rejected the cuts to SNAP on the Farm Bill in June. Has any of the cuts actually been passed?

Why would anyone deplete their savings to pay medical bills. My daughter used to do medical billing and collections and people would make deals to pay $5 a month against an enormous hospital bill. If you are on SS and Medicaid, there's really nothing that can be done to you if you don't pay.

Aren't there food kitchens where your friend can eat a meal? Can he use a wagon to walk the free groceries home? Can he make multiple trips with light loads or can he pay someone a couple of dollars to pull the wagon for him?

It sounds like something is missing from your story about your friend. Is his cancer in remission? Does he have an appetite? If he truly can't afford food he should move into a boarding house or rent a room from someone so his SS will allow him to put on 50 lbs. and have a bed to sleep in.
The SNAP cuts were in the 2014 farm bill. You remember, the deal the Republicans pushed through by threatening a government shutdown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living