Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 AM

12 posts, read 44,081 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the deal. Not only do I live in a city, I live downtown. I have literally hundreds of things like restaurants, coffee shops, bars, banks, grocery stores, etc. within walking distance of my house. I love my current lifestyle as a city-dwelling renter, but looking toward the future, I think I'd like to have something I could call my own. I grew up in a semi-rural area, and the older I get, the more I feel like I'd enjoy a large garden, a few chickens, and the feeling, waking up in the morning, that a quiet, beautiful place was mine. BUT. I am not willing to give up the things I love about the city - namely live music; I go out to see music a few times a week - so I'd like to live somewhere close enough to visit, do fun things, and have friends. This hypothetical move is definitely a few years in the future, but I may as well speculate and plan now... I would love y'all's advice on picking an area that is:
A. No more than 30 minutes outside a major metropolitan area, specifically one with great music, festivals, etc.
B. Not affected by "real winter." I live in New Orleans and love the South. I don't like temperatures below 60 and barely tolerate 40 degree weather for the 2 months we get it.

Actually, those are my only two requirements. No serious winter and driving distance to great music. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Could you find something suitable 30 minutes from N.O.? Maybe south/southwest/east? I have two friends in N.O., and they both say they cannot live elsewhere, no matter what, and they're in their 40s.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Trying to live in a rural setting that is only 30 minutes outside a major metropolitan area would be very difficult, if not impossible. Definitely forget about it as far as New Orleans is concerned, if you are serious about 30 minutes (it would be almost impossible here in Baton Rouge as well).

Your post says nothing about your requirements for natural beauty, only that you want to have a garden and raise some chickens. You may be able to find something across the river and down toward Golden Meadow, but the potential for hurricanes is even worse that way. You may be able to avoid cold weather too, but you'd be forced to deal with really high humidity and a zillion mosquitos.

Memphis or Nashville might be cities you could live with except for the winter weather.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshane View Post
BUT. I am not willing to give up the things I love about the city - namely live music; I go out to see music a few times a week - so I'd like to live somewhere close enough to visit, do fun things, and have friends.
I cannot understand why you are even thinking of moving. You sound ecstatic about your city lifestyle, so stay there. Keeping chickens and tending garden require DAILY commitments and hard, dirty work.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Sounds to me like your obvious course would be to find some place in the NOLA area. You like the area, enjoy what it has to offer, like the weather, know what to expect, and, I would assume, you know people there. Surely you can find some place that would fit the bill.

You can find all that in the Nashville area...although it might seem like the winters are tough here in comparison.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,999 times
Out west here there are lots of semi-rural opportunities just a little bit outside of "cities". But we're talking smaller cities, and there IS winter here, so I guess I can't help you. I was going to suggest TN, KY even though I am not familiar with that part of the US. but again, it might be "too cold" for you there (for me it would be too hot, haha) Good luck though!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I feel the same need for a few chickens as I get older. They make great pets and provide breakfast.
I am poking around AZ for some affordable land and think I have found a decent spot to build an odd last dwelling. The 1 acre lots a few years ago at the boom were selling for $225,000 and they are down to around $40,000 and less in some areas. The hardest thing is finding one that does not require a 2,500 sq ft. home. The area is north Surprise and it is a few minutes away from all the big box shopping you could ask for, yet you have some elbow room around your neighbors. No HOA's in some cases, which appeals to me the longer I live in an HOA community.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Look into little towns outside Memphis? My ex lives on acreage in little town about 45 minutes from Memphis, goes in nearly every weekend for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. Plenty of music, cheap living, and hot, muggy "southern" weather nine or ten months out of the year. The other couple of months temps are mostly in the 40's and 50's with occasional dips into lower temps.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 PM

36 posts, read 94,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I feel the same need for a few chickens as I get older. They make great pets and provide breakfast.
I am poking around AZ for some affordable land and think I have found a decent spot to build an odd last dwelling. The 1 acre lots a few years ago at the boom were selling for $225,000 and they are down to around $40,000 and less in some areas. The hardest thing is finding one that does not require a 2,500 sq ft. home. The area is north Surprise and it is a few minutes away from all the big box shopping you could ask for, yet you have some elbow room around your neighbors. No HOA's in some cases, which appeals to me the longer I live in an HOA community.
What about Prescott??

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Have to agree with Ozarksboy. Raising "stuff" be it chickens, garden or whatever takes work. Perhaps you would be best served by just finding a nice suburban area where you could buy a couple of acres and have a house smack dab in the middle of it. Kind of keeping the neighbors at bay. Even then, you will have to deal with many things you don't while renting. Upkeep on the house, yard work, lots of driving to things you walk to now, etc.

It sounds to me like there has been a recent stressor in your life and you are wanting make a radical change from your current lifestyle. Take some time and really think what you want out of life. It sounds to me like you are not willing to make the change to a rural lifestyle at this time, and may never be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living