Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,840 times

Advertisements

Hello, sorry if there are already threads covering the topic. I've been searching and reading for days and haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

My husband and I are both disabled, however I am still waiting for my SSI to be approved so we're living off of just one income for now - only $840 per month. It could take up to 18 months for my disability income to go through. So we're trying to find the cheapest studio or 1-bed apartment in the Sac area, or anywhere nearby, without being in a horrible neighborhood. On Craigslist I've found quite a few apartments within our range (~$500) in Arden-Arcade. We're homebodies and we're poor, so nightlife and entertainment are not important. All I care about is finding an affordable place that won't be at high risk for burglary. We have a 60-pound dog, too, but don't care about having a yard or anything since we walk her daily.

I'd really appreciate any advice, suggestions, links to resources, personal opinions, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
Have you made any inquires about the various affordable housing programs that most of the local cities and counties offer.

http://www.shra.org/WebReports/AffHousing/Listing.php

City of Rancho Cordova : Affordable Housing Projects

City of Rancho Cordova : Resources

City of Roseville, California - Affordable Rental

Affordable Housing Portal

Folsom Website - Affordable Rental

If none of that works, then I would look for housing near one of the community colleges. In this area public transit generally is most effective near the community colleges. There also tends to be campus police nearby. These housing in the neighborhoods near the community colleges tends to be affordable generally safe, but not particularly glamorous.

Immediately South of Sacramento City College is a neighborhood that is referred to as Carlton Tract. You are fairly close to light rail, and there are a lot of buses that also converge on the college.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/gis/...borhoods_E.pdf

Not too far from Madison and Interstate 80 is a street called Tyler Street. At 5109 Tyler Street is where there is the local CHP office that patrols the Interstate. South of Madison and East of Interstate 80 all the way to American River College is a neighborhood that consists largely of students attending American River College. As you get closer to Tyler Street you are close to the CHP cars coming in and out of the station. As you get closer to ARC you are close to the ARC campus police which Patrol the campus and the immediate areas around the campus. This is another area that isn't glamorous, but has affordable housing in a relatively safe neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Here's a couple of other resources:
http://www.altaregional.org/resource...stanceInfo.pdf

Affordable Housing News | Mercy Housing

Transitional Living & Community Support

THE SACRAMENTO RESOURCE DIRECTORY-OneFathersLove.com

http://www.211sacramento.org/accessible_housing.pdf

Elk Grove CA Low Income Housing | Elk Grove Low Income Apartments | Low Income Housing in Elk Grove, CA

I don't have any experience with any of these agencies. Anything that is state/federally funded is going to be highly impacted, so you might want to start with the privately funded organizations.

Or, check out the Eskaton Caregiver's Resource Guide/The Senior Connection, and even though it is primarily for seniors, there are lots of good resources available. I would suggest that you give them a call for recommendations. They do have nurse case managers on staff that place patients on a regular basis, so they would be very familiar with all the options. Phone is 916-334-1072 or 888-334-3490.
I found a pdf file of the resource guide:http://www.eskaton.org/PDFs/CRG.pdf

Related websites:
Useful Senior Care Resources - Support For Home In-Home Care - (916) 482-8484

I hope you find what you need.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,840 times
Thanks so much for the links and information. It's all very helpful and I'm confident about finding a place now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento