Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM

15 posts, read 64,870 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Rocklin from the Bay Area and I'm looking for a preschool for my 3 1/2 yr old daughter. Does anyone have any experiences with City of Rocklin preschool? Do they have a curriculum or is it just play?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM

25 posts, read 97,285 times
I would be interested in peoples thoughts as well. My daughter is 2 and we will be moving to Rocklin in about a month but I will be looking for good preschools for next year. I am interested in Rocklin unified's preschool. My daughter is at a great daycare now but I will most likely stop working for awhile once we move and I want to make sure I get her into a part time preschool that will keep her motivated.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Just my 2 cents here. I'm a firm believer in play-based preschools (my son is 5). Here's a link, there have been many studies and most have the same findings:

Should preschools be all work, no play? - TODAY Health - TODAY.com

“What we found in our research then and in ongoing studies is that children who were in a [play-based] preschool program showed stronger academic performance in all subject areas measured compared to children who had been in more academically focused or more middle-of-the-road programs,” says Marcon.

According to Marcon and other researchers, children who are subjected to overly academic environments early on have more behavior problems later and are less likely to be enthusiastic, creative learners and thinkers.
“You will frequently get short-term gains with a highly academic approach (in preschool), but they come with long-term consequences,” says Marcon. “A lot of early childhood studies only follow children to third grade. But when you take it into fourth grade and beyond that’s where you see the big difference. That’s when children have to be more independent and think.”

Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
Thought I already responded here but maybe my post was considered an ad? Anyway, we used a place right near Twin Oaks elementary school on Park Drive... it's named after a major city in Arizona. ;-)

It's pricey, though. Most of the teachers are very good... some others, not so much.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:46 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,704 times
There are quite a few play-based ones you can find easily with a simple Yellow Pages search. There are also some great Christian-based schools that are available (as I'm told), but I am not sure if preschool is available. We were very close to putting our kids in private school, but opted against it in the end. There are also some great Headstart programs available. One of my coworkers had a son that attended Headstart's preschool program and the school was in Sheridan. She absolutely loved the small-town feeling and education the teachers provided there so that might be a route to look at if you want more one-on-one type interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento