Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 32,011 times

Advertisements

My wife, two kids (both under 5) are relocating to Northern California, specifically the Placer County area outside of Sacramento. My wife grew up outside Sac so we are moving up there to be near her family (roseville area). She has not lived there for over 10 years so we are wondering where the best place is to raise a family, schools, safety and close to Northern CA lifestyle (hiking, lakes, fishing, tennis, golf etc.) We like the suburbs. We are currently looking at Granite Bay, Folsom and EDH becasue of the vicinity to Folsom Lake and the Sierras.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
Rocklin has good schools

Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I think your choices are all great cities with good schools. It is certainly easier to get to Roseville from Granite Bay than from El Dorado Hills and most parts of Folsom. All three are family friendly. Let me know if you have specific questions.

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California This web site has a good quick look at local school ratings. Just zoom in to the area you're looking at.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
Your budget will be a big determinant. Have you looked at home prices, either on your own or with a realtor? My wife and I looked at Granite Bay homes at one point but most we liked were above our budget. Also looked at El Dorado Hills and Rancho Murieta as well as Lake of the Pines. Latter two even closer to the Sierra, but further from your wife's family.

Granite Bay had a lot of building in high-level develoments before the housing bubble burst. If you're willing to consider short sales and foreclosures (with the help of a realtor) you may find some deals.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 32,011 times
Thanks for the input. We have been looking at home prices in the Granite Bay area and we feel comfortable with our budget for that area. How's the safety around these areas? Granite Bay, Roseville, Loomis, Folsom. It seems that all these areas are fairly close to each other. Are younger families in these areas?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
You can google the county sherriff web sites to check on crime rates. I think Granite Bay would be the lowest crime but I don't know after that. It's also area dependent within each of the cities.

All of them have lots of families with kids, but specific neighborhoods vary. I always encourage buyers to find an area they like and hang out on a (nice weather) Saturday to get an idea about traffic, kids, parks, etc.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
There is barely any crime in Granite Bay, Loomis, or EDH. If you can afford to live in those areas, the areas you'd buy into in Roseville and Folsom are very, very safe too.

There are some grimy areas of Roseville, Folsom, and Rocklin, but they are the same areas they were 10 years ago, so your wife will know already where not to look.

All the schools in these towns are good.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 17,237 times
Curious about this as well now that a few years have passed. My family and I are moving to the Sacramento area to be near my parents in Carmichael - we have two boys aged 2 and 4 and will have another baby in October. My husband will be working in Folsom so we're thinking about Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado hills. We would like to conserve funds but we're coming from Hawaii and San Francisco so I'm sure the prices will seem lower. Are these the best places for families with young kids? How about churches? Anywhere else we should consider? We are planning to stay for the long-term so we really want to find a place we'll be happy as the kids grow. Thanks for your advice,

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilove214 View Post
Curious about this as well now that a few years have passed. My family and I are moving to the Sacramento area to be near my parents in Carmichael - we have two boys aged 2 and 4 and will have another baby in October. My husband will be working in Folsom so we're thinking about Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado hills. We would like to conserve funds but we're coming from Hawaii and San Francisco so I'm sure the prices will seem lower. Are these the best places for families with young kids? How about churches? Anywhere else we should consider? We are planning to stay for the long-term so we really want to find a place we'll be happy as the kids grow. Thanks for your advice,
All of the three places you mentioned above are swell. For commute sake, go for Folsom.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilove214 View Post
Family oriented? Churches? I don't think this area is a good fit for you. Try elsewhere IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento