Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 10,821 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving from NY to Sacramento in June. I will be working at UCDavis Medical Center. We will have a 6 month old baby when move out there and 2 large dogs. I was wondering if anyone can help with where to live. We are looking to rent; we don't want to be too far away from the medical center (within 20-25 min drive); we would like good places like parks nearby to walk the dogs and we would like to be in a safe neighborhood. Price of rent is not a huge concern. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenjay View Post
My husband and I will be moving from NY to Sacramento in June. I will be working at UCDavis Medical Center. We will have a 6 month old baby when move out there and 2 large dogs. I was wondering if anyone can help with where to live. We are looking to rent; we don't want to be too far away from the medical center (within 20-25 min drive); we would like good places like parks nearby to walk the dogs and we would like to be in a safe neighborhood. Price of rent is not a huge concern. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!
East Sac, around McKinley Park.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I agree with EAst Sac and Mckinley Park - it's a nice big park

Plus Land Park, or Curtis Park is a good area too - and only a 10 minute drive to UC Med Center. Land Park is an enormous gorgeous park - with the zoo in the middle of it

But to tell you - don't live near the med center (except maybe Tahoe Park if you like it). Because it's just on the edge of Stockton Blvd which is the gateway to South Sac and the Ghetto

Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I agree with EAst Sac and Mckinley Park - it's a nice big park

Plus Land Park, or Curtis Park is a good area too - and only a 10 minute drive to UC Med Center. Land Park is an enormous gorgeous park - with the zoo in the middle of it

But to tell you - don't live near the med center (except maybe Tahoe Park if you like it). Because it's just on the edge of Stockton Blvd which is the gateway to South Sac and the Ghetto
The Elmhurst neighborhood along T Street is very nice.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 57,014 times
I agree with Citygurl, be sure not to leave really close to the med center. That part is definitely part of the "ghetto" of Sacramento.

Land Park is gorgeous if you can find anything there, and right in the heart of downtown. The city can seem confusing at first so be prepared to backtrack until you get used to one-way streets. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with everyone here.

Steer clear of most of southern Sacramento. East is good along hwy 50 and the med center's not too far from the freeway.

Good luck, and welcome to our city!!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,464 times
Default You really have a lot to choose from

The medical center is roughly in the center of the city so there will be plenty of places to choose from. like Land Park and others that have mentioned. You also have pretty good freeway access so some areas further out are possible to commute from like Elk Grove that are nice.

I'd recommend at least one of you going there first and staying at an "Extended Stay America" (there are several in the area) and exploring the neighborhoods. As long as you like the price and the area "feels safe" it'll work fine for you. I personally like Elk Grove, but others don't and there are many areas that will be like that.

The best place for me might not be the best place for you.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,296 times
well if you are willing to commute 20-25 minutes, there are better places that you can choose to live than downtown sacramento. i would consider elk grove, natomas, carmichael, citrus heights, fair oaks. they seem much better than downtown sacramento and might be cheaper in rent depending on the area you choose. most of the area is safe but not as many parks to choose from compared to downtown.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM

8 posts, read 47,567 times
Smile nooo not sacramento

Try Davis it's a much better choice not far from medical centers and easier to get to SF if you want to.
I have lived on the East coast and in the seattle area I would not recommend many areas in Sacramento. The pollution is terrible the drivers are worse than Boston drivers and if you go to Davis you are going against traffic most of the time when you go into sacramento. Davis is close has great parks, culture and is quite safe. If you do move here realize biking is a big part of the town and make adjustments accordingly.
Loving Davis
and not so happy with Sacramento
and.. buy shorts.. lots and lots... of shorts... it's hot here!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,626 times
hello i am from KCMO born and raised in the midwest. recently my fiance and i have been talking about moving to Sacramento California. we have a 5 month old daughter and by time we move she will probably be 2 years old. can you tell me if Sac is a good move, where would be the best place and maybe some good daycare centers...

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

216 posts, read 376,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaylee View Post
can you tell me if Sac is a good move...
Yes it is a good move ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento