Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,117 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a position at the VA Medical Center in Mather and will be moving from the Bay Area to Sacramento soon. I would appreciate any suggestions you all might have on safe, reasonably priced neighborhoods that are not too far (10-20 miles?) from the hospital. I'm specifically interested in renting an apartment ($600-700/month would be ideal). No kids (I'm a young, single female) so no need to factor in school districts. I don't own any pets, and I'll most likely have my car. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,664,323 times
Congratulations on the new job at the VA. I would suggest looking in Capital Village located near the intersection of Zinfandel and International Drive in Rancho Cordova. It's located 1.5 miles to the east of the VA Med Center at Mather. The other areas I would recommend include Rancho Cordova (near Sunrise/Coloma), Fair Oaks, Folsom, Arden-Arcade (near Fair Oaks Blvd/Watt), and the College Greens area of Sacramento. You probably could find a decent studio or 1 bedroom within that price range in those areas that are within a 10 mile radius of Mather.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! Capital Village looks like a newer development--so great that it's so close to the VA. I'll definitely take a look at the other areas as well. Are other parts of Arden-Arcade not as desirable (i.e., unsafe)?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 AM

You're welcome. There are certain parts of Arden Arcade I would steer clear of such as near Auburn Blvd and along Bell and Ethan Streets. On the other hand, I have a friend who used to live in the Ardendale Apt community off of Watt Avenue between Cottage Way and Alta Arden. He had a nice large 1 bedroom unit. The complex is gated and has nice amenities. As for Arden, I would stay south of El Camino and east of Fulton.

Capital Village is a planned mixed use development that has a mix of housing types with a commercial town center containing shops and restaurants. Another part of Rancho Cordova that may be of interest would be near the Sunrise Blvd corridor north of US-50.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:43 PM

42 posts, read 80,390 times
Congratulations on the new position. I know the VA Mather center well - I was the Construction Quality Control manager on the new Behavioral Health Unit, and my dad was the superintendent on the new emergency room expansion. I've spent alot of time out there!

Regarding housing, I owned a house in the new neighborhood directly adjoining the hospital (on Zinfindel). The houses range from mid 200's to high 400's. It was a nice, quiet neighborhood when I lived there a few years ago, with lots of amenities nearby. Stay on the SOUTH side of highway 50 though.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Thank you again, sacreole, for all of that information! Someone recommended me to check out Fair Oaks, which Sunrise Blvd seems to run through.

And thanks, fouroheight68! How neat that you and your dad were both involved with the VA! I'm excited to work for such an exceptional organization. I'll definitely check out that area as well. And yes, a friend advised me to stay away from Folsom Blvd/the train tracks, just north of 50.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 PM

Once again, my pleasure. Definitely look into Fair Oaks, which is located north of the American River along the Sunrise Blvd corridor. And as far as Rancho Cordova goes, it would be wise to stay south of US 50 (the Coloma/Sunrise area is okay). I believe there are rentals along Folsom Blvd near Hazel (south of US 50) which would be suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento