Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM

28 posts, read 108,319 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are relocating to Sacramento the first week of May from Snowy and cold Boston. We really want to live in midtown since that seems to be the most gay friendly and walkable area for us. We do not own a vehicle currently, so a walkable area with easy access to public transit is essential. Additionally I am hoping to secure a job at one of the area medical centers, so midtown also seems the most feasible for a commute as well.

Does anyone know where we can rent in the area with not so great credit? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the sheer number of agencies posting on craigslist that focus on credit. Here is Boston is is quite easy to rent with a local private owner who will take more things in to consideration.

We are cery excited about our move, and can't wait to get established there. We have visited previously a couple of years ago, and liked what we saw.

Thank you to all for your anticipated help

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,448 times
Are either of you planning to come out ahead of time? A lot of agencies may list good credit of one of their criteria, but that doesn't describe all of them, particularly private owners. If you're out here, you can fill out applications and see if it will work for you. Credit score reviews are just for the lazy who use it as a substitute for actually checking references and whether you have a job. Private owners may be less likely to have a "policy" about credit scores and more willing to review other evidence that you're a good renter, or be willing to understand why you have poor credit and why it has no bearing on your ability to pay rent on time and not destroy the place.

By the way, you're talking about renting in post-housing bubble Sac, not the Hamptons. You may be surprised that "not so great credit" is quite acceptable in a number of places. There are A LOT of good folks out here with foreclosures and bankruptcies on their record.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately we will not be able to return prior to our move, I know that would be ideal. We have reserved an extended stay suite for 10 days as a in case back up plan, but we are hopeful we can find a rental instead to be more budget wise.
We are OK to rent without first seeing, since we are pretty flexible.

Thanks again

Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,652 times
Welcome to Sacramento! No advice for you, other than that that ryuns gave you. The light rail line is at R Street, then parallels Folsom Blvd, and that's an easy way to use transit, but there are a lot of buses, too, and it's flat and lots of people ride bikes or scooters. I think you'll like Midtown.

I'm going for a visit to Boston at end of June/beginning of July (originally from Sturbridge, but that was a LONG time ago). Any suggestions on must sees? Or easy ways to get around?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassjb View Post
Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately we will not be able to return prior to our move, I know that would be ideal. We have reserved an extended stay suite for 10 days as a in case back up plan, but we are hopeful we can find a rental instead to be more budget wise.
We are OK to rent without first seeing, since we are pretty flexible.

Thanks again
I've never really gone looking for a place specifically for poor credit, but it strikes me that you should pull one or two of your credit reports if you haven't done so already and be aware of the specific problems. Obviously, anything that you can fix is beneficial, but at least knowing what you're getting yourself into is helpful. For instance, the big complexes might have a specific policy such that even if your FICO is weak, you could still pass. And if you find any of those, you might be able to provide evidence that you've come clean on those collections, even if that's not reflected in your report yet. Here's an example I pulled from a quick google:

A negative credit report:

i. Any open collections or judgments, two or more accounts rated R-9 or equivalent with a different reporting service.

ii. Unpaid utility bills (gas & electricity) will result in denial. Phone bills & cable bills in excess of $125 must be paid or currently being paid.

iii. Bankruptcy within last 12 months. If bankruptcy is over 12 months from the date of application, and the bankruptcy has not affected landlords and applicant has established positive credit, the applicant will be considered.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Good suggestion

Hey Ryunes,

That's a good suggestion as we'll. I think I may be eligible for an annual free report so perhaps I will check in to that. I was also thinking perhaps once we arrive it might be somewhat easier since they will see us in person and get a better feel for the type of people we are etc. I also figure that way we might be able to spot more obscure locations with for rent signs that may not be on line.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Boston visit

Hi Justducky,

Thanks for your reply,

If you can hold off on your Boston visit until July 4th I would highly recommend. We have one of the largest celebrations around. Our fireworks are nationally televised, and of course the free Boston Pops concert etc can't be beat.

The duck boat tours are always a big hit. A little less known, but very fun thing to do is taking a ferry out to the harbor islands. The ferry is run by the national park service, and runs pretty frequently. The movie Shutter Island was recorded out there.

If you like museums, the Isabella Stewart Gardner is fantastic. The museum of fine arts has an awesome collection of Egyptian arts, including mummy's.

The best way to get around by far is the T

If not, there are many trolley tours around that will focus on more historic sites.

The hubway bike rental stands have really taken off. You rent a bike at a kiosk and then ride through the city returning it at another location. You rent them via a credit card.

Lastly, for the moment...I would recommend one of the nighttime haunted cemetery tours. Those are a blast.

If you want to know more, you can certainly message me anytime.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM

29 posts, read 97,546 times
We are also moving to Sacramento from Boston in May! We're originally from Sac, but have been in Boston for 10 years! Have you been looking on Craigslist for private owner listings? That may be a good bet. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento