Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times

Advertisements

Do you think residents of Sacramento would support or back increased laws or stricter ordinances regarding dog barking noise? I'm not talking all barking but residents who leave their dogs outside or leave them at home with inside out access using a doggy door and let them constantly bark that can go on for hours. Seems there needs to be stricter laws regarding clumping animal noise in with other noise ordinances where fines can be imposed. Sacramento 311 told me they work with Animal Control and they only do "courtesy" letters to the pet owners since there were hundreds of false complaints so they don't take it seriously anymore. However these are just courtesy letters that pet owners know are bluffs and nothing will be done unless the person reporting wants to pay for mediation or pay out of pocket to take to court which rarely if ever happens. It seems nowadays people just get pets for whatever reason but have no clue about the responsibility nor how their pets might affect other neighbors. I figured if anything you use the fine revenue towards new jobs to monitor or check out violations in each district and after so many violations the pet owners can lose their pet or be force to pay for training classes which adds more revenue and instantly force pet owners to show more responsibility.

Before anyone thinks I'm just a pet hater my housemate has two dogs and yes they will bark however if outside she will immediately go out to correct them or bring them in. She also does not leave them outside all the time to annoy neighbors, she keeps them inside while gone or at work and pays someone to let them out to potty and walk halfway during the day and there's never been any issues. When people asked her why she does that instead of leaving her dogs outside she said she knows her dogs bark and others might work various shifts so why would she leave her dogs to annoy people who need the rest or want quiet?

I like to hear honest input if others think there should be or would support such a push for such increased laws, fines or clumping dog noise in with other noise violations instead of treating it with kid gloves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I would!

Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
When I was a kid and it was still a free country, dogs barked, cats prowled, and people lived with it. People wanted good barking watchdogs. Moreover, if the neighbor's kids are taunting a dog from the other side of the fence, s/he will bark at them.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
When I was a kid and it was still a free country, dogs barked, cats prowled, and people lived with it. People wanted good barking watchdogs. Moreover, if the neighbor's kids are taunting a dog from the other side of the fence, s/he will bark at them.
Rrriiiiiggghhhtt. It's a free country so there should be absolutely no restrictions on the noise emitting from your property regardless of how it affects your neighbors. Yes, that's certainly the freedom the founding fathers had in mind.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Rrriiiiiggghhhtt. It's a free country so there should be absolutely no restrictions on the noise emitting from your property regardless of how it affects your neighbors. Yes, that's certainly the freedom the founding fathers had in mind.
Back in the day, people were considerate and even knew their neighbors. Noise ordinances weren't really necessary. Now it seems some people want everything regulated. The notion that this is still a "free country" is pathetically laughable.

If I was still living in Sacramento I would much rather hear a dog bark than ultra-loud music and ridiculously heavy bass.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
The laws in place already allow for dogs that are barking incessantly as far as I know. Are you having trouble getting your complaint with animal services handled?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Back in the day, people were considerate and even knew their neighbors. Noise ordinances weren't really necessary. Now it seems some people want everything regulated. The notion that this is still a "free country" is pathetically laughable.

If I was still living in Sacramento I would much rather hear a dog bark than ultra-loud music and ridiculously heavy bass.
This. Somehow the boom boxers and amplifier blasters are not enforced at all, and they are far worse than the barking dogs....

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
The laws in place already allow for dogs that are barking incessantly as far as I know. Are you having trouble getting your complaint with animal services handled?
Getting the complaints to animal services is not the issue, the issue is their hands are tired so enforcing it is the issue. While they sympathize for people they can't do much. The City forces the offended to show their seriousness by walking it through all the steps and paying a lot of money out of pocket to resolve. Even they admit it still might not resolve the issue and could cause even greater issues which includes the neighbor becoming hostile on top of it. I one time had a large aggressive dog jump my fence three times and confront me and my dogs in MY yard and all the City said was they would come out within 7 - 10 days to check out the situation and to call animal control while it happened, which about time they got there it would jump back over. Someone on this forum told me I should build a larger fence on a house I rented, really I need to do this? What about the pet owner? This owner also put three dogs in a fenced in area right next to my bedroom window and it would whine and bark 6 - 8 hours straight then stop for 45 mins then bark again until 12am which caused me so much stress and sleepless time it affected my work and almost got me written up for falling asleep at work. I was on a lease so I couldn't just move so I walked over as the City recommends but they were never home, went through animal services for 3 months with no resolve until finally in a fit of rage I walked over there and caught all them home and out of character told them I don't want to hear that dog ever again or ever jump my fence again and other choice things I wish I could take back. My words must have been too salty since they sold all but one dog immediately and kept the dog inside and never heard a dog bark again. I always felt bad about that, still do, and ended up apologizing to them but I was now the bad guy on that street but two other neighbors actually told me thank you since they were just too scared to go over there. That could have ended up MUCH worse but when there is no enforced rules or regulations sometimes frustration can get to you.

Ironically the Sacramento 311 guy who forwards requests to animal services/ control told me he hates the City's new stance since he also had a neighbor who had a chihuahua and a pit bull bark non-stop at everything and had to move but only after being stuck for a year miserable. He said it's not for others not in your shoes to tell people to just put up with it. He felt the people who have this stance usually are the same people who make other neighbors lives miserable and do other things without thinking of neighbors. He mentioned pet laws a City had (I forgot where) that had firm but fair pet laws that did force pet owners to be more responsible owners but said it starts with the residents being vocal and presenting options since the City will not make the move first on this.

Quote:
Curmudgeon - Back in the day, people were considerate and even knew their neighbors. Noise ordinances weren't really necessary. Now it seems some people want everything regulated. The notion that this is still a "free country" is pathetically laughable. If I was still living in Sacramento I would much rather hear a dog bark than ultra-loud music and ridiculously heavy bass.
And some see ANY rules or regulations as the government overstepping it's reach but not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory, political, Obama or taking away constitution rights issue. Sometimes it's a common sense/ personal issue that needs to be addressed since as was mentioned people nowadays don't care about others it seems like before. Can I cut my grass at 8am/ 9am on a Saturday or Sunday? Sure I can but is that polite to people who work long hours during the week and want to sleep in? Can I legally park in front of a neighbors house in my neighborhood that doesn't have a driveway, of course I can but why not park elsewhere since they don't have a driveway. Can someone smoke in their backyard right next to a neighbors patio while they are sitting with friends? Of course they can but what about second hand smoke, why not understand that and smoke elsewhere? They might seem like small things to you but to others it could mean a lot more. You can think it's your right to do what you want but sorry I just can't do things to just ONLY think of myself. I try to use common sense, but maybe that's my issue... I'm still trying to use it while some have abandoned it.

I agree noise ordinances shouldn't be needed, but they are. Just like other laws that if not in enforced would rob any of us of an enjoyable life. I guess it's the sad reality people aren't like they were years ago. Years ago I could talk with my neighbors and we come to a compromise. I disagree that barking dogs has not got worse since people used to be more responsible and think of their neighbors more. They used to think of pets as family, now they get multiple loud dogs as cheap security to leave out and forget about them in a yard except for the 5 mins they acknowledge them each week. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners. No I don't like listening to loud music either but to say take the lesser of the two evils my point is why should the person have to endure either if it's an issue? People have told me of issues but I apologize and try to come to a compromise. I repeat... people like me aren't anti-dog however stop with the lame excuses about the dogs need to be outside to serve as security since we have dogs inside that will deter anyone trying to come in but unless you come up to the house you're not hearing their barks next door. How do I know? I've always said leave your dogs outside and while barking walk up your street, if you can hear them believe me your neighbors can hear it inside their houses next door as well. It's not brain science but if you take on a pet it's also a responsibility but some don't understand that.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 03-10-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
I can't stand loud noises at night including barking dogs. The inconsiderate pest dog-owning moron who lives behind me keeps his cretin outdoor and it barks at various times throughout the night. I haven't called animal control yet. Didn't know they wouldn't do anything.

I had the same problem in another city- Houston. I called the cops and they showed up to investigate every time. Two weeks later, the neighbor got rid their dogs. I guess every city handles noise ordinance differently.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
As a former dog owner/lover for many years...I have some ideas for you

stuff steak/ hamburger with doggy downers & throw it over the fence
Get one of those automatic dog barking machines & direct it towards the offenders house, and leave it on.
Pick up a BB gun, and set up your targets against the fence where the barking dogs live...
Use a high pressure hose to wash off your fence, same aside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento