Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

My husband has been asked to relocate for work and we are currently seriously considering the move. We had the opportunity to visit the area and fell in love with a house in Granite Bay. We have four young children, the eldest of whom is seven, so for us, school district is our number one priority. From my online research I can see that the schools in the area are highly rated however, as the move will be a permanent one, we need to get this right.

What I would really like to know is if the schools in Granite Bay are consistently highly rated and would they be accommodating to children relocating from another country? I am a stay at home mom, so I need to live somewhere I could make friends and see other adults. Would Granite Bay be a family friendly area and would we find it particularly difficult to settle into a community there? When we were there, we found everyone to be very friendly but it is difficult to ascertain if this would translate into friendships or whether they were simply being helpful.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to offer, the enormity of what we are contemplating terrifies me sometimes, so I would like to be as informed as possible before making a final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,803,430 times
Oh my yes. You will be very happy in Granite Bay. It is about as suburban family living as suburban family living gets.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
My father-in-law used to live in Granite Bay. I'd move there in a heartbeat if the opportunity came. Being a family man who prefers the suburbs, GB is basically ideal in my opinion. For being an upscale area, I found locals to be very friendly and it didn't come across to me as a pretentious place to live, despite being one of the nicest and most expensive areas in the Sac region. I actually think neighboring Roseville has a more pretentious vibe, despite not being as nice.

I can't imagine you'll be unhappy moving there. It will be much hotter in the summer than what you're used to in Ireland. That's about the only con I can think of...unless you like warm weather, which I personally do.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
The schools are consistently good in Granite Bay and there are many families there. As far as making friends, a lot will have to do with how much you're willing to get out and about to meet people. I think that's pretty much the same anywhere. There are many stay at home moms that you will be able to connect with.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:12 AM

528 posts, read 867,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
My father-in-law used to live in Granite Bay. I'd move there in a heartbeat if the opportunity came. Being a family man who prefers the suburbs, GB is basically ideal in my opinion. For being an upscale area, I found locals to be very friendly and it didn't come across to me as a pretentious place to live, despite being one of the nicest and most expensive areas in the Sac region. I actually think neighboring Roseville has a more pretentious vibe, despite not being as nice.

I can't imagine you'll be unhappy moving there. It will be much hotter in the summer than what you're used to in Ireland. That's about the only con I can think of...unless you like warm weather, which I personally do.

OMG you're the only person who said this but it validates what I think. People like to say how GB is snobby and exclusive but guess what, these people saying it are probably snobs too and the surrounding towns have PLENTY of snobs also. Rocklin and Auburn can be pretentious for sure and they got no reason to be. Granite Bay to me is like a Connecticut country club town but probably the best it will get for the edge of the foothills and its not far from Sacramento really either. Granite Bay may have its snobs and all but honestly, SO DOES THE REST OF THE AREA. Seems like I ran into more snobs in other places to be honest.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 AM

528 posts, read 867,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinmomof4 View Post
My husband has been asked to relocate for work and we are currently seriously considering the move. We had the opportunity to visit the area and fell in love with a house in Granite Bay. We have four young children, the eldest of whom is seven, so for us, school district is our number one priority. From my online research I can see that the schools in the area are highly rated however, as the move will be a permanent one, we need to get this right.

What I would really like to know is if the schools in Granite Bay are consistently highly rated and would they be accommodating to children relocating from another country? I am a stay at home mom, so I need to live somewhere I could make friends and see other adults. Would Granite Bay be a family friendly area and would we find it particularly difficult to settle into a community there? When we were there, we found everyone to be very friendly but it is difficult to ascertain if this would translate into friendships or whether they were simply being helpful.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to offer, the enormity of what we are contemplating terrifies me sometimes, so I would like to be as informed as possible before making a final decision.
I SWEAR TO GOD I must have metaphysically attracted this post because earlier today or the last 2 times I was driving out, last week I was passing through GB to get home and was playing Irish Music thinking of the area and how it sorta fit because of the trees and green and the weather was just right too last Wednesday and today I was listening to the same CD driving around here earlier. Today I thought about Irishness while driving and then I see someone FROM Dublin wanting to move here.. weird and funny isn't it? And nonetheless moving to the one town in the area I think is top notch seeing I am negative about a lot of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento