Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:15 AM

5 posts, read 5,867 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are contemplating a move to the Sacramento area. I have a job offer in Mather, CA. My wife and I have a 2 year old daughter. Our housing budget is up to 650,000. What are good cities/areas? I don't really want to be further then 25 minutes from work.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
Depends on what you're looking for but I would start with Folsom and El Dorado Hills. You have a couple years but schools are excellent. Search this forum for many discussions on these two areas. My husband works very close to Mather and it's about 25 minutes for him. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,769 times
Depending upon your budget, the city of Folsom, then the city of Rancho Cordova, and then the "uncity" neighborhood of Rosemont, in that order.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
I would actually suggest that you look at the newer development in Rancho Cordova like Anatolia, Westlake Village, Kavala Ranch as it is much closer to Mather. I believe the school district is Elk Grove. Check http://www.greatschools.org/

I'd even suggest East Sac which would be an easy backward commute, and it is a beautiful, established, treed neighborhood with shopping for basic needs within the community. Despite popular belief, and according to another poster, there are good schools in the central city core (do a search for the discussion). Hopefully, she will contribute to this conversation.

While Folsom & EDH are great (I live in Folsom), the traffic on 50 going west is not, and it's only going to get worse with all the planned new development. If you don't mind driving in the parking lot on the fwy, then I'd suggest the homes on the Folsom hillside on Serpa or Tobrurry which will give you a view across the valley, or the newer development in Empire Ranch near the golf course. Of course there are many options for every taste.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 PM

4,026 posts, read 3,303,002 times
I am not saying that Folsom or El Dorado Hills are bad choices. They are nice neighborhoods, but with much longer commutes. But if you are working in Mather, you have excellent choices in your price range that are much nearer that don't involve the longer commute.

I would look at the part of Gold River that was designed by Robert Powell. That is the area between Sunrise and Hazel and between 50 and the American River and the American River Bike pathway. Its near the CSUS Aquatic Center. The neighborhood is next to the American River, there are bike trails throughout the neighborhood. Its doesn't have the bad Rancho Cordova schools. The public schools this neighborhood feeds into are much better. But most importantly its a really straight shot to Mather so your commute would be a breeze.

You can read more about Robert Powel here.

Gold River Online - Robert C. Powell, 1931-2007

GOLD RIVER | The Sacramento Bee

Home & Garden: The Powell Estate - Sacramento Magazine - July 2013 - Sacramento, California

Sac State Aquatic Center

Old 11-15-2014, 01:13 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaKilo85 View Post
Hi All,
We are contemplating a move to the Sacramento area. I have a job offer in Mather, CA. My wife and I have a 2 year old daughter. Our housing budget is up to 650,000. What are good cities/areas? I don't really want to be further then 25 minutes from work.
Thanks
There's Independence at Mather which is an established community adjacent to the Mather Air Field. Has an HOA and the front yards are maintained by the HOA. Some homes have big pool sized lots. There's Mather Heights Elementary which has good test scores. There isn't anything around the development except a golf course and park with a small lake.

Here's a look at schools for the area...the ones in green are the higher scoring schools. Zoom in on the area between Highway 50 and Highway 16 that's the Mather/Anatolia/Kavala Ranch, and Sunridge Park area (Anatolia has Sunrise Elementary which is the lonesome green dot to the east of Mather).

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

Mather Heights Elementary is not on the above map but here's some info...

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

Nearby are Anatolia, Kavala Ranch, and Sunridge Park. These are newer developments that offer easy commutes to Mather. New home construction is ongoing at Kavala Ranch and Sunridge Park. Anatolia has a K-6 school (Sunrise Elementary) that serves these communities and plans are in the works for a second elementary school to be opened after 2016. There's also a clubhouse with pools, fitness facility and party rooms for use by residents as well as tennis and basketball courts. The area is served by the Elk Grove Unified School District. No retail nearby except for Walgreens but it's not far to shop in either Folsom or Rancho Cordova.

Folsom is also an option. Great schools. You could take the back road to Mather using either Prairie City Road or Iron Point Road to White Rock Road then Douglas Road which will take you to Mather. For now easy commuting both ways.

You could also live in El Dorado Hills, for example, the Stonebriar neighborhood and take the back road (White Rock Road) towards Mather and bypass the freeway altogether.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 AM

256 posts, read 367,307 times
I'm the poster with kids in East Sac schools! The commute is better in this direction (my husband does it) but it still sucks. I'd try the suggestions above to be closer to work, unless you think you may be changing jobs eventually and want to be more centrally located. (We stay downtown because my husband is in IT so his jobs could move to opposite suburbs any time.)

Old 11-16-2014, 10:50 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,391 times
With a budget up to 650k, you can score a very nice home in edh or folsom. If I was spending that much, I'd certainly want a quiet street with some good views of the hills, and nice 1/3 or 1/4 acre lot.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:17 PM

4,026 posts, read 3,303,002 times
If you were working in Mather, you might also consider Rancho Murrieta. Rancho Murrieta has several huge golf courses and probably the nicest Equine facility in the region. Google shows the commute from Rancho Murrieta to Mather Field as 15.7 miles, so that it is probably closer than El Dorado Hills.

Rancho Murieta Association - About Rancho Murieta

Murieta Equestrian Center

Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Folsom is also an option. Great schools. You could take the back road to Mather using either Prairie City Road or Iron Point Road to White Rock Road then Douglas Road which will take you to Mather. For now easy commuting both ways.

You could also live in El Dorado Hills, for example, the Stonebriar neighborhood and take the back road (White Rock Road) towards Mather and bypass the freeway altogether.
For now. But in the progress of changing. Plus, once you get to Sunrise, the roads are all city surface roads with multiple stoplights.
I was out that way this evening and shocked how many cars were on the road at 530. Bumper to bumper, and no where to pass from Folsom to EDH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
I'm the poster with kids in East Sac schools! The commute is better in this direction (my husband does it) but it still sucks. I'd try the suggestions above to be closer to work, unless you think you may be changing jobs eventually and want to be more centrally located. (We stay downtown because my husband is in IT so his jobs could move to opposite suburbs any time.)
Yes you are! I completely agree, it's best to be close to one's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento