Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 3,852 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Joey and I was recommenced to use this site from a friend living in Roseville CA.
I am currently a university student who has been actively looking for part time work for the past 6 months. I didn't have any luck during the summer hiring frenzies because my summers classes were 4 days a week and ate up over 6 hours a day.

I am very actively looking now once again because my summer semester is about to end and my schedule in the fall is better suited for part time work. I only have about $3500 saved up for my next semester and after that my funds will run out.

I do not have a cosigner on a loan, and regarding fafsa they stated that it will take over 1.5 years to declare and prove my "independent" status before I would even qualify for federal aid.

I am turning 22 and I have had 5 internships in the past .... 2 unpaid, 1 for $11.50/hr...2 for $20/hr. So I have work experience.

I just don't know where to start looking for a job and what to do. I am in fear of having to drop out.

Any guidance will be good, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey10101010 View Post
I didn't have any luck during the summer hiring frenzies because my summers classes were 4 days a week and ate up over 6 hours a day.
So you still had 3 days a week to work but you didn't think you could do it? Plenty of people go to school full time AND some even work full time, too. Just get your mind into the "All work and no play" gear for a few years. You can do it. That's how successful people do it.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
So you still had 3 days a week to work but you didn't think you could do it? Plenty of people go to school full time AND some even work full time, too. Just get your mind into the "All work and no play" gear for a few years. You can do it. That's how successful people do it.

Hello,

I never said I didn't have time. I stated that I am busy. Being as busy and I am and not having opening during peak hours has turned employers away from me.

Also, I am asking where I can look for more jobs and how I can be successful in my search.
Is there any way you might be able to guide me?

-Joey

Old 07-28-2016, 03:28 PM

248 posts, read 804,686 times
What's your field of interest?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,337,966 times
For the love of God, I hope you are majoring in something useful. Have you attempted using a temp agency?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
What's your field of interest?
Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering major who is double majoring with a business degree and a minor in a foreign language .

Old 07-29-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
For the love of God, I hope you are majoring in something useful. Have you attempted using a temp agency?
Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering major who is double majoring with a business degree and a minor in a foreign language.

I did attempt to reach to temp agency; however, time conflicts occurred. Every job asked me to come in at 3pm; however, I don't get out of my class until approx. 4pm.

One of my classes will Aug. 3rd so I will have much more free time coming up very soon.
Next semester between Tues.-Thurs. I will be done with class by 1pm and I am free Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Thank you for reading.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
Why aren't you getting help from the university placement office? Maybe you have too many "conflicts" to hold down a job.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM

572 posts, read 601,119 times
Not sure this site is going to be helpful for you Joey.

One piece of advice - if you are seeking employment - check your spelling. The first thing I notice is that the title of your post has "Enviorment for job seekers" which I assume is "Environment" spelled wrong. It's going to be the first thing people notice.

What University are you at? Surely they have some career resources for you. That would be the place to start.

You'll be lucky to find a paid internship or part-time job within your business/engineering field that will cater to specific schedule constraints. Unpaid maybe. You might have to wait tables/work a coffee bar on the weekends/evenings if its the money you need. No shame in that - many of us work those jobs until we get our foot in the door with an entry level professional gig.

If you speak another language and English fluently - use that to your advantage.

Good luck

Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM

13 posts, read 8,661 times
University placement offices generally don't help much. Even less so in popular areas. I would say get any job in the evening to get some cash. Parking lot attendant, grocery stores. I think those pay minimum wage. Keep looking for job in your field. You never know. Don't drop out. I went to college and worked 45 hr shift. Did 30% classes online. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: