Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And San Diego is????.Gads, I'd die if I had to live in San Diego.

Sorry but Sonora is still a great town, just not as you remembered it in 1970 as a kid! I could regale you of how wonderful San Francisco, San Jose and Monterey were in 1970. Same deal. I have many fond memories, but that was 1970. Wonderful places then, but not the same today.
I live in the hipster, Southern California version of the Sonora of my youth, a friendly village where everyone knows your name, in a 100 y.o house on a terraced lot on the edge of the woods and canyon (Balboa Park) just like I lived in Sonora- and walking distance to a vibrant big city and 10 minutes to the ocean (didn't have that in Sonora).

I grew up with the indoctrination of HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA as all Northern Californians did- especially those in the country. Well, that's silly. There is a 20/80 rule everywhere. 80% of just about every area/city is meh to nah, 20% is fine to awesome. We live in the awesome that was built out over 110 years ago and just keeps getting better, can't be destroyed because it's already developed.

Sonora is not better with the By-Pass, Walmart, stoplights and traffic everywhere (all that is East Sonora), over development for the retired class and still the moribund economy of the area with the drug addled segment of society and smog increasingly flowing in from the valley every year.

San Francisco, San Jose (I lived in Cambell) and Monterey are not better either. I remember them all well from the '70s. San Diego on the other hand is WAY better than the '70s and '80s when it was Des Moines by the Sea. Now it's cleaner and more vibrant than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,787 times
Hello all - I would really like to get some information from those of you who actually live in Sonora. I am considering sending my daughter to Columbia College. However, every crime statistic I can track down points to horrendous crime in Sonora, both violent and property crime. This seems incongruous with our impressions of the area. Can you tell me why there might be such terrible crime statistics? It is making me rethink our decision. Thank you -

Old 01-08-2018, 04:38 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Crime has increased over the last four years in Sonora. Nobody can quite figure out what the motivating factor is, but some point the blame towards the opioid epidemic. I think that could be part of the blame. The other issue is economic. Some of the Motherlode counties are experiencing the same economic and social issues many rural counties face, to the point where Tuolumne, and both neighboring counties have been losing population as people age, or move elsewhere to find better employment opportunities.

I don't know what else to add other than this wouldn't deter me from moving to Sonora.

As far as Columbia College, I've never heard anything negative about it, however, I'm curious. What is at Columbia College that you wish to send her there for?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Crime has increased over the last four years in Sonora. Nobody can quite figure out what the motivating factor is, but some point the blame towards the opioid epidemic. I think that could be part of the blame. The other issue is economic. Some of the Motherlode counties are experiencing the same economic and social issues many rural counties face, to the point where Tuolumne, and both neighboring counties have been losing population as people age, or move elsewhere to find better employment opportunities.

I don't know what else to add other than this wouldn't deter me from moving to Sonora.

As far as Columbia College, I've never heard anything negative about it, however, I'm curious. What is at Columbia College that you wish to send her there for?

Hi - thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad to hear it wouldn't deter you.

Columbia College is one of only 10 or so Community Colleges in the state that have housing. We did a tour of many of them in April with my daughter; mainly in mid and northern California (we live in So Cal and she is over it). Of all the colleges she toured, Columbia College is one of the most beautiful - it's like summer camp. She just wants to get her general education done at a community college so she can transfer to Humboldt State to get her Bachelor's. So the program of study is not that important. Although I have heard that Columbia has an outstanding Culinary program.

Are there any useful insights you would have about Columbia College?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinecopy View Post
Hi - thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad to hear it wouldn't deter you.

Columbia College is one of only 10 or so Community Colleges in the state that have housing. We did a tour of many of them in April with my daughter; mainly in mid and northern California (we live in So Cal and she is over it). Of all the colleges she toured, Columbia College is one of the most beautiful - it's like summer camp. She just wants to get her general education done at a community college so she can transfer to Humboldt State to get her Bachelor's. So the program of study is not that important. Although I have heard that Columbia has an outstanding Culinary program.

Are there any useful insights you would have about Columbia College?
Here's my perspective as a retired college counselor. Please note, I'm just speaking generally about community colleges, and forgive me if you are already aware of these considerations (you probably are).

If your daughter's ultimate goal is transferring to a CSU or UC, your daughter should be sure to complete any pre-requisite requirements for her intended major in addition to her GE requirements.

The Assist site (Welcome to ASSIST) is an a vital tool for anyone planning to go from CC to CSU/UC. If her goal is to transfer to a specific CSU (like Humboldt State) make sure to verify that she'll be able to take the pre-requisite courses in her prospective major at the CC she attends; some CCs don't offer all of the pre-requisites for all majors.

So, on the Assist site look at both the CC requirements AND the requirements of the major at the specific CSU. If she is unsure of her major after transfer, choose some likely majors that interest her now and check that way. Also, it is a good idea to check to see how often any required courses for majors of interest are offered at the CC and how hard it is to get into those courses. At smaller community colleges like Columbia, it can sometimes be easier to get into courses, but they may not offer as many courses each semester. So, check this before she decides on a school.

I also always recommended that when deciding on a CC, families also look at the statistics for students who actually end up completing the AA for transfer requirements (different than just the AA degree). Obviously, your daughter will ultimately determine if she transfers, so the percentage completing AA for transfer at any particular college is NOT the same as your daughter's chances of doing so.

However, if her goal is to transfer, it is nice to be surrounded by more peers who have the same goal, and a larger transfer completion rate can also tell you a bit about the focus of the school's programs.

You can find those statistics for all community colleges here: California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office - Data Mart

Looking at the data for 2016 for Columbia, I note that out of 368 students completing a degree or certificate, 47 completed the AA-transfer program (17 in Assoc. of Science and 30 in Assoc. of Arts).

It also doesn't hurt to look at how many students are attending part-time, the demographics of hte student body, and other data on the school. Again, you can find the most recent information on all of that for all CCs here: http://datamart.cccco.edu/Students/

You might want to compare those figures to other community colleges under consideration.

There is, of course, always a danger in over-analyzing, but at the same time, making an informed decision based on factual data doesn't hurt.

Best wishes to your daughter!

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-23-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Unlike KC6ZLV, I actually live in Tuolumne county. Columbia College is a very nice Campus and a great choice for a Community College. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of staff and next to no crime occurs on the campus.

The economy has been picking up in the area with a number of new businesses being established in the county-esp in Sonora. One sees a number of Help Wanted signs around town. The information supplied by KC6ZLV is somewhat dated. When the great recession hit there was a population loss, but things have been stable for the last 5-6 years. New housing is being built and the median home price has increased over the last 5 years.

Crime is still low, but there has been a recent increase in property crimes. The cause is obvious if one reads the police reports. It seems some people from Modesto and Stockton are coming here and breaking into businesses and vacation homes. The cops know this because most of these folks get caught.

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-23-2018 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Unlike KC6ZLV, I actually live in Tuolumne county. Columbia College is a very nice Campus and a great choice for a Community College. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of staff and next to no crime occurs on the campus.

The economy has been picking up in the area with a number of new businesses being established in the county-esp in Sonora. One sees a number of Help Wanted signs around town. The information supplied by KC6ZLV is somewhat dated. When the great recession hit there was a population loss, but things have been stable for the last 5-6 years. New housing is being built and the median home price has increased over the last 5 years.

Crime is still low, but there has been a recent increase in property crimes. The cause is obvious if one reads the police reports. It seems some people from Modesto and Stockton are coming here and breaking into businesses and vacation homes. The cops know this because most of these folks get caught.
It doesn't matter where someone lives. The fact of the matter is there has been an increase in crime, and they can't pin down the exact cause. A report I looked at before making my last post mentioned SOME of the people were from other towns. Odds are the majority of it is originating from within the county. But we don't know that, so it is not right to blame people from other areas.

What category of crime are we talking about? Overall, I don't think there has been much of a change according to the data supplied by this website.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Tuolumne County continues to lose population. Regional population loss is usually attributed to the local economy. The economic forecast for Tuolumne County is very low growth for the foreseeable future. Population forecasts are generally stable. I think the change in housing prices may entice a few more people to relocate to the Motherlode than the forecast accounts for. However, unless a major employer that pays good wages decides to set up shop in Sonora, there isn't going to be any sort of economic or population growth to write about.

Population continues to decline; 10th consecutive year of losses for Tuolumne County, 8th for Calaveras County

With that said, I don't think Sonora is a bad place to live IF you can find a good job locally, or don't mind commuting someplace else for work.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:22 PM

66 posts, read 417,511 times
Clearly, one man's heaven is another man's hell. As with many things in real life, checking things out for yourself is often the only realistic way to comprehend something to the best degree. And it will be YOUR comprehension, not someone consciously or unconsciously pushing there "agenda", for whatever reason that may be.
I lived for many years in and around "wonderful, scenic, delightful" Palm Springs, Calif. Turned out you have to enjoy unusually hot temperatures for about six to seven months of the year. So hot, in fact, the local Chamber of Commerce "refrains" from being too honest or accurate about that little stickler of a fact! Phony baloney tourist trap stuff to attract the uninformed....and unwary.

Regardless, I recall seeing more than a few folks wearing jackets and sweaters in 100+ degree heat. Incomprehensible, dangerous behavior to me, yet perfectly adequate (and apparently quite tolerable) for those who prefer to subject themselves to that level of heat. Whenever possible....check things out for YOURSELF for the most accurate assessment. Generally speaking, I prefer having six or more reviews of something to get even a ballpark rating of things I'm researching, just to be on the safe side. Good luck to all concerned!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:17 PM

25 posts, read 35,820 times
OP, have you ever looked around Willits, CA? It’s an artistic and extremely liberal town and if you ever want ocean inspiration you can go over to Ft. Bragg for a day trip. I think it’s about an hour drive through the redwood forest. They just built a freeway bypass (much to the chagrin of the local environmentalists) that has taken traffic pressure out of the town. There’s an excellent hospital too. It sits pretty much by itself and is a small town but has really great amenities.

I know it’s not what your original post is about but thought I’d mention it. I can tell you first hand that living in the wrong place will always feel frustrating while living in a place you love makes the world feel right.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 PM

37 posts, read 51,761 times
Quote:

Hey 5150, where did you live in Mendo World? I lived in Mendocino proper up Little Lake Road.
Tommy Quinn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento