Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times

Advertisements

Sacramento is not an organic, wholistic, natural real estate market. It is a bay area speculator induced market.

High prices force the real estate cabal into the valley. When prices shoot up in the bay, they do in sacto.

Only problem is, rents have shot up now too, and everyone is feeling the pinch. 1200 might get you an okay studio, or a slumpartment in an iffy area.

Last year decent 1 bedrooms where 1300 and up, it is probably way higher now. Probably more like 1400 and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
It's blowing up, stay away, we are full!
So how would you solve this problem:

My husband is being recruited by a growing company in the greater Sacramento area. They have obviously exhausted their search for a qualified local candidate. Should that company not continue their relatively slow growth which will continue to create jobs--many which could be filled locally? If there is no housing, the growth of high paying local jobs will cease as one of the things candidates will always look at is suitable (and reasonably affordable) housing.

If they can't hire people (and no, there won't always be a pool of suitable candidates locally, particularly with some STEM related industries) companies pack up and move to other parts of the country more welcoming to business.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the population of the USA continues to grow, and along with it there will be new housing starts. Hopefully they will be on trend with population growth as opposed to over saturating the market with inventory, which is partially to blame for the last collapse.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sacramento has pretty much the highest rent increases in the country right now; the building industry is restricting housing supply in order to drive up prices. The Sacramento metro areas is mostly strip malls and suburbs, but so is the Bay Area. Where are you coming from, Upstateman92?
That’s not true at all. Numerous developers are submitting projects left and right but resident groups, protectionists and even the city itself is slowing the process considerably. They don’t want any “highrise” buildings anywhere near the core or midtown and they do not want a single tree cut down. As it is though, I can think of at least 6 condo or apartment projects that have broken ground or are near completion. There are others such as the 15 story Yamanee and Sacramento Commons that are waiting to break ground but still getting pushback from the local neighborhood and protectionist groups. These people appear to be fighting against their own self interests and it’s really difficult to understsnd why. Building “up” rather than out will only enhance the flavor of the local neighborhood and it will be financially beneficial for both small businesses and residents alike.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
As to your question; yes, you can live in a CADA property in midtown for $1k per month. You’d be exactly 20-30 min from the airport. CADA properties are older, historical properties in a specific area of downtown/midtown which are owned and managed by the City. They do not have the amenities of the newer apartments, but do offer considerably lower rates. I lived in one about 2 yrs ago and paid $1,050 for a 1 BR.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
That’s not true at all. Numerous developers are submitting projects left and right but resident groups, protectionists and even the city itself is slowing the process considerably. They don’t want any “highrise” buildings anywhere near the core or midtown and they do not want a single tree cut down. As it is though, I can think of at least 6 condo or apartment projects that have broken ground or are near completion. There are others such as the 15 story Yamanee and Sacramento Commons that are waiting to break ground but still getting pushback from the local neighborhood and protectionist groups. These people appear to be fighting against their own self interests and it’s really difficult to understsnd why. Building “up” rather than out will only enhance the flavor of the local neighborhood and it will be financially beneficial for both small businesses and residents alike.
I agree with this. You can either build up, or you can build out. If you build out, you drastically increase commuter congestion and encroach on nature, which diminishes the quality of life and demands lots of water use. If you build up, then you're creating more vibrant neighborhoods with a smaller footprint, but you don't get the American dream of a single family home. Eventually, population increases will force a lot more density as in other parts of the world.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
We're already building up in the central city, but that's just four square miles of a 98 square mile city that's mostly zoned for single family homes only. In the rest of the city and the region, we're building out. Maybe we should build up in more than one neighborhood?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
All i'm gonna say is Sacramento is pricey compared to other Central Valley cities,but it's still more affordable than The Bay Area.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 211,522 times
Quote:
Sacramento is not an organic, wholistic, natural real estate market.
Talk about nonsense terms that don’t mean anything. I suppose it’s not vegetarian either?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay West View Post
Talk about nonsense terms that don’t mean anything. I suppose it’s not vegetarian either?
And we're far from gluten free!

Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
It's blowing up, stay away, we are full!
LOL!!! Sounds like Portland.

Actually, though, I visited a friend there last Sept and then again last month, and I couldn't help but notice an increase in traffic in that short of a time. Homes being thrown up everywhere. I asked her if it was just my imagination and she said no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento