Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 AM

165 posts, read 976,980 times

Advertisements

i was recently pulled over and ticketed for not having paid registration and no insurance. I had not paid my insurance for about a month and a half and i wasn't sure if i was covered or not. The officer told me as long as i show proof that i had insurance the date i was pulled over i would be ok (and pay a small fee). Turns out i did not have insurance this month and i received a fine for close to $1000..there is no way i can pay that much right now and i'm looking for alternative ways to either avoid paying it or paying less. If i go back to my insurance and pay for the month that i wasn't covered would they give me proof that i had insurance that month/date? is that legal? is it possible? if i do get insurance now and take it to court would i still have to pay that ammount? if i absolutely have to pay it, would they allow me to make small payments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Sounds like you found a lazy cop.
He was supposed to impound your car for 30 days by CA law.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
You are really lucky, hellaslover, as ferretkona stated they should have impounded your vehicle. Getting it back is pretty expensive.

No, you cannot retroactively activate your insurance for the period it had lapsed. You either have it or you don't, and you didn't.

The court sometimes allows for installment payments, but I wouldn't count on it.

Driving without insurance or registration, pretty irresponsible.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
maybe you should go to court and talk to the judge, he might give you a break, explain that you forgot to make payment for insurance by mistake.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM

45 posts, read 192,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
maybe you should go to court and talk to the judge, he might give you a break, explain that you forgot to make payment for insurance by mistake.
agreed.
Challenge the ticket and argue your case to the judge, ADA, or whoever it happens to be. It probably wont be totally dismissed, but if you can make a good or sympathetic case, the fine may be reduced.
Good luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
agreed.
Challenge the ticket and argue your case to the judge, ADA, or whoever it happens to be. It probably wont be totally dismissed, but if you can make a good or sympathetic case, the fine may be reduced.
Good luck.
However, I would also bring proof that I'd been paying the insurance monthly/quarterly, etc. responsibly and consistently for at least half a year, if not more. You might be asked and it could be argued. Then you can claim an uncharacteristic lapse in responsibility or, if you're my age, you can claim a senior moment!

Be aware, being unregistered as well will not be your friend!

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM

24 posts, read 52,143 times
For whatever it may be worth, I heard they stopped the impounding thing recently. I manage a storage yard, part of which is a police impound. Business is way down - FYI.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 PM

53 posts, read 506,118 times
Some companies can reinstate your insurance on the day it lapsed if you pay the earned premium. Usually they can do this if your policy has been cancelled for no more than 15- 30 days. The company I work for does that. I would call your insurance company, it doesnt hurt to ask.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
i was recently pulled over and ticketed for not having paid registration and no insurance. I had not paid my insurance for about a month and a half and i wasn't sure if i was covered or not. The officer told me as long as i show proof that i had insurance the date i was pulled over i would be ok (and pay a small fee). Turns out i did not have insurance this month and i received a fine for close to $1000..there is no way i can pay that much right now and i'm looking for alternative ways to either avoid paying it or paying less. If i go back to my insurance and pay for the month that i wasn't covered would they give me proof that i had insurance that month/date? is that legal? is it possible? if i do get insurance now and take it to court would i still have to pay that ammount? if i absolutely have to pay it, would they allow me to make small payments?
Very fortunate in that the car was not impounded...

In my city either lapsed registration or no insurance equals a 30 day impound at something like $1200 to $1500

Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
I would have to disagree with the person who says your insurance company may re-instate you from the day your policy expired. If it had been 30 days or less maybe, but you are talking, 6 weeks at least or so you have said. I think the best you can hope for is to play on the sympathy of the judge with proof you were paid up until 6 weeks ago and you have re-activated it. I don't think this will work as the judge knows insurance companies always send new bills weeks before the due date, but it is worth a try.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento