Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM

42 posts, read 53,669 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am here trying to get some recent feed back on those cities that we're considering relocating. Here are some introduction of us.
We're early 30s, potentially start family soon, lived in Austin, TX and Tacoma, WA several years, currently trying to relocate from Washington state. Handled pretty well Austin summer weather, loved kayak in lakes there during summer time, A/C on 24/7 in the apartment, does not mind cold weather as long as it can stay dry, snow is ok but rain is no-no! Paid 700s for 1 bedroom in Austin, paying almost 900 for brand new studio in Tacoma, overpriced! We have one dog, loves to go dog park, lakes, walking trails with her.
What we're, mostly myself is, whenever I search Sancramento, people complain about bad air quality and traffic. But all those threads are quite old. Also that exactly the areas that I'm looking for. Oh and we're planning to visit the area for day or two before we set our minds.

So how bad is traffic? during what time?
Is air pollution that bad? like NYC? I don't know where to compare?
How's crime rate?
How's gang activity?
How hot during summer time? and usually which months?
How bad is fog during the winter time?
Is it really true that Sacramento/surrounding area itself has really nothing fun to do? You have to drive 2-3 hours for mountains, beaches and bay area?
How's the cost of living compare to other state and SF or LA?

I think this pretty much covers all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
Arden, Rancho & Citrus Heights

Are renting an apartment again?
What's your budget? $700-900?

So how bad is traffic? during what time? commute hours, mainly heading toward downtown, 7-830am, 4-6pm
Is air pollution that bad? not too bad, we have spare the air days. Depending on where you live, there will be an increased potential for seasonal allergies State at a Glance - American Lung Association | State of Tobacco Control 2015
like NYC? You can use a website like this to compare Spare The Air: Spare the Air Home
How's crime rate? crime is everywhere, depends on what type of crime you are concerned with. There are multiple crime maps that can be used to judge this for yourself
How's gang activity? I don't hear much about gang activity these days, but I'd avoid So Sac & So Natomas
How hot during summer time? and usually which months? summer time, there's a huge thread on the subject of weather here. everything you ever wanted to know, and more... http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...how-great.html
How bad is fog during the winter time? not much, there is no real (tule-type) fog except out in the countryside
Is it really true that Sacramento/surrounding area itself has really nothing fun to do? Not in my opinion, depends on what you like to do. You mentioned having a dog, going to the dog park, lakes, walking trails...that alone will keep you busy
You have to drive 2-3 hours for mountains, beaches and bay area? yes, and no. The mountains are closer. I can be in Tahoe in an hour.
How's the cost of living compare to other state and SF or LA? lower COL. However there are other parts of california that are cheaper than Sacramento.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 53,669 times
Okay, so it seems like we included Roseville, after I spoke to my husband.

So yes, we're going to rent for at least 1st year. If we get to settle down wherever we decide, then we'll think about buying houses after we learn more about the area. So rent budget for 1 bedroom we have is not over $1100. Hopefully, we can find decent apartment in clean/good neighborhood.

Thanks for the tips, my husband has bad yearly allergy. I should check out the websites.

Yea, becasue of cost of living, we considered Fresno, CA. I learned Fresno summer is hotter than Sacramento but also learned that Fresno has real big gang called Bulldogs. So we kind of crossed that town out. Good move crossing it out you think? I guess you get what you pay for?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:31 PM

I think you will find renting first very beneficial.

I moved to Sacramento from Visalia and know Fresno very well: I'm a bulldog . Despite the Sacto weather cheerleaders, temps in the summer in the outer suburbs like Roseville & Lincoln (Placer County) & Folsom track closely to Tulare/Fresno Counties within a few degrees. Lincoln is hotter. Summertime temps range from 90-100's. I dont think we had any 110+ days last year thank GOD! Our saving grace is that the delta breeze cools things down at night, so you could potentially sleep with your windows open, or suffice with a window a/c. I remember living in Visalia, to beat the heat for any type of outdoor physical activity in the summer I had to get up at 4am.

You'll find the closer you are to the rivers & the tree coverage, the cooler the summertime temps. However, if you suffer from hay fever, living in heavily treed areas will be awful for allergies. I lived in East Sac when I first moved to town, and the green dust from the pines was terrible. I have less of a problem in Folsom.

The Fresno bulldogs typically means the Fresno State football team. But it does look like there is a gang throughout the central valley called the bulldogs. The central valley is pretty much known as the midway point for drug exchange, and gangs are always somewhat involved. It's really not that big of a problem if you avoid their territory in late evening/early morning. I used to drive all through those neighborhoods for work and never had a problem. It's all about awareness of your surroundings.

I like Fresno & Visalia and surrounding areas. I'm sure the naysayers will be joining eventually and telling you why Sacramento is soo much better. It really depends on what you are looking for. I find the people in the central valley to be overall more friendly, down to earth and welcoming. It took a really long time to find my tribe in Sacramento & that seems to be a common complaint with newcomers, unless you are a drinker and then everyone is your friend. The mountains, lakes & beaches are equal distance away. I'm much more familiar with the mountain ranges further south than near Tahoe. In Fresno, you are pretty much equal distance to SF & LA. I never drive to LA anymore. I think overall the weather & job opportunities are better in Sacramento. Everything else is relative.

Good luck

Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The Fresno bulldogs typically means the Fresno State football team. But it does look like there is a gang throughout the central valley called the bulldogs. :
Unfortunately for the past few years "bulldogs" has become synonymous with the gang. A cop I know who works near Fresno said there are between 15 & 24K bulldogs in the Fresno area. They are bad actors for sure

Old 11-20-2015, 07:24 PM

That hairdo!

I drove through gangland Merced this summer and had no problem....and yes, I saw the gang map for Fresno. I guess because my work didnt take me through those areas at night, and I'm not much of a partier (late night or otherwise), I pretty much bypassed gangland. There ARE beautiful and safe parts of Fresno County, and I personally wouldnt have a problem living there.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That hairdo!

I drove through gangland Merced this summer and had no problem....and yes, I saw the gang map for Fresno. I guess because my work didnt take me through those areas at night, and I'm not much of a partier (late night or otherwise), I pretty much bypassed gangland. There ARE beautiful and safe parts of Fresno County, and I personally wouldnt have a problem living there.
True, I guess Clovis is still nice but the whole place is disgustingly hot, I guess the humidity is higher than in Sac because every time I go to Fresno in the summer I feel like I'm going to throw up

Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 AM

There's plenty of nice places in Fresno too.

It's a little warm in the summer, but not that much hotter than the suburbs here, except it does cool down at night here. I grew up down there, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I will admit that my tolerance of the weather extremes at both end of the spectrum in the valley have worsened as I age. You do get acclimated to it when you live there. I still plan my travel times based on the seasons, early morning in the summer & midday during tule fog season. I can't believe how mild the winters are up here! I sold all my super warm daily clothes as it is just too warm in the winter in the sacto region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento