Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 AM

322 posts, read 779,159 times

Advertisements

I had a terrible experience with the county government about two years ago, using ____ Moving Company. (Note: I did not live in Placer County, but ____ Moving is in Placer County). This is a wild story, but I swear it is all true and I would never live in Placer County because of this, and for other reasons regarding the government offices there. I am not allowed to name names of businesses but this has a lot to do with the qualify of life in Placer County, I believe.

----------------------------------
_____ Moving company moved and store my belongings in the process of moving from Penn Valley to Grass Valley and they didn't pack things well and there was breakage and a few missing items. Things were just thrown in boxes willy nilly and I don't think even one item was packed properly.

I filled out a claim form and faxed it to the company. They became incensed and would not submit my claim to the insurance company, saying they had "never had this happen before." (!!!) They insisted they had "never had a complaint before." I then filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, and they answered it with a very rambling letter, so that didn't go anywhere.

They had also been dealing with my father, who lives in Southern California, as he paid for my move. I told my father about the breakage and missing items, and about ______ Moving Company saying that they'd "never had this happen before." So, he was planning to stop payment on the credit card charge because the company would not submit my insurance claim.

The owner of ______ Moving Company then called my elderly father, found out he was an evangelical Christian, and "prayed" with my father on the phone. Then, my father stopped his credit card stop payment claim. That was exactly what they wanted.

When I found out how they had taken advantage of my father, I didn't know who to report it to, so I called the Placer County Victims Witness office to ask them what to do. They contacted _____ Moving Company, who was angry with me for trying to file the breakage claim, and together they concocted a story that I had "manipulated" my father into paying for my move. The County actually called my father all the way down in So Cal and told them they might be bring charges (!!!) against me, and he got angry and told them no one had manipulated him whatsover. The woman from Victim Witness told my father that "I said" he was "a hopeless drunk who can't manage his money." (!!!) I never said that nor would I say that to someone. About now, I began to get scared because of all these underhanded tactics to try to make ___ Moving Company look good.

My father told them that was ridiculous and would not cooperate in whatever they were trying. He did admit that _____ Moving Company had prayed with him and that he then cancelled his credit card complaint.

Then, an investigator from the D.A.'s office called me to intimidate me and scare me. I started crying and couldn't believe how this had snowballed.

This was a tiny civil claim that now the D.A.'s office was trying to make into a criminal claim because of their friendship, possibly thru a church, with ___ Moving Company owner. I was told that they could "arrest me" if they "even suspected" that I had "manipulated" my father into paying for my move. He is not even in their "hanging" County, is far from it, and my father wouldn't cooperate because their story was not true.

Placer is a "hanging county" for a reason. This kind of aggressive defense of a business associate and aggressive actions trying to try to turn a small civil incident into a criminal one is scary, indeed. I would never live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
why are you bringing up something that happened two years ago?

Nita

Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 AM

261 posts, read 1,351,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why are you bringing up something that happened two years ago?

Nita
My thoughts exactly.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
And why not disclose the full name of the moving company? No rule against it.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
And to add a colorary, How does this come even close to your claim that the government of Placer County is somehow responsible.

You might be surprised to know that you can file a civil lawsuit against the company, but based on what you've presented, good luck in finding an attorney to represent you.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM

322 posts, read 779,159 times
This post was so late in posting because it was originally rejected by the moderators here. Took me that long to get around to altering it so it was acceptable.

You obviously didn't read it correctly if you don't see the link between Placer County government and the moving company.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
This post was so late in posting because it was originally rejected by the moderators here. Took me that long to get around to altering it so it was acceptable.

You obviously didn't read it correctly if you don't see the link between Placer County government and the moving company.
regardless as to why it took so long (2 years, I doubt that) it is still meaningless at this stage, I too, am not sure what your point is and it seems like you post lots of pretty negative comments or maybe it is just me who sees it that way.

Nita

Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I have to ask one question: What does Placer County have to do with this in the first place? Penn Valley and Grass Valley are both in Nevada County. I lived there for 16 years so know it well.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Yeah, like the previous poster stated, they are in Nevada County. Also, Placer County isn't known as "Hanging County." You are thinking of the town of Placerville, which was formerly called Hangtown. Placerville is in El Dorado County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento