Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,142 times

Advertisements

Hi, we may be moving to the area, with my husband having a job in Salem, and my child wanting to go to school in Portland. He needs to stay pretty close to Salem, so he can drive in quickly for emergencies at work... any suggestions where we should look first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Keizer is pretty much your only choice outside of Salem. Woodburn is about 25-30 minutes away from Salem, and then you are in the suburbs of Portland after that.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
What's your budget? When you say child do you really mean college age kid? I'm going to assume you mean your adult child will be attending college in Portland. I would say live in the North part of Salem or Kaiser and make the kid commute in to Portland for classes until they can make living arrangements closer to school.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the replies! We will look into Kaiser. What about Silverton? Is that too far a commute for school in Portland? We can live a comfortable lifestyle and would live in Portland if not for the fact that my husband's job requires he be within a certain radius of Salem. We just want a nice, friendly community and a comfortable place to call home.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewingedvictory View Post
Thanks for the replies! We will look into Kaiser. What about Silverton? Is that too far a commute for school in Portland? We can live a comfortable lifestyle and would live in Portland if not for the fact that my husband's job requires he be within a certain radius of Salem. We just want a nice, friendly community and a comfortable place to call home.
The city is spelled Keizer. Kaiser might get you something else when you do your research.

Silverton is a nice small community, but it is off the highway a bit so it would add a lot of travel time just to get to the highway. Where does your child have to commute to in Portland?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Heh. That's what I get for trying to use my microphone on iPhone. Her school is on the SW side of Portland. Originally I thought about having her try mass transit, but I think that would end up overshooting her into downtown. We just need to come out there to look, test drive and see how bad traffic is. We are pretty used to long drives in traffic. It takes 45-90 minutes right now to get anywhere in the Chicagoland area, so we are pretty used to commuting.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Heh. That's what I get for trying to use my microphone on iPhone. Her school is on the SW side of Portland. Originally I thought about having her try mass transit, but I think that would end up overshooting her into downtown. We just need to come out there to look, test drive and see how bad traffic is. We are pretty used to long drives in traffic. It takes 45-90 minutes right now to get anywhere in the Chicagoland area, so we are pretty used to commuting.
Well if she is commuting to Lewis and Clark then it would be about an hour from Silverton to get there. If she is going to one of the speciality schools like the Oregon School of Art and Craft, you'd be looking at 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Live in Salem and let your kid get a bike and an apartment or shared college student housing in Portland.

Otherwise if you want to drive all the time you could consider some place like Wilsonville. But the daily driving in both directions will suck.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:32 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
What's the required radius? And where's the child's school exactly?

Wilsonville down to Salem isn't too "bad" of a drive traffic wise, but because of the distance it's still a guaranteed 25-30 min depending on what your door-to-door location is on each end.

That said, the commute from Wilsonville into Portland will suck if it's via I-5 (and/or 217).

Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Live in Salem and let your kid get a bike and an apartment or shared college student housing in Portland.

Otherwise if you want to drive all the time you could consider some place like Wilsonville. But the daily driving in both directions will suck.
This is the correct answer. Ignore it at your own risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem