Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 16,060 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am currently trying to relocate to Salem, Oregon. I have noticed, different from my current region, that Salem rentals are largely month-to-month and not annual leases? Also, a lot of the "pet friendly" rentals specifically state "NO CATS".

Can anyone explain these two requirements, please? Where I currently live annual leases are the norm and landlords are much more tolerant of cats versus dogs which leave behind a distinct smell, chew up things, and do not have retractable claws (hardwood scratches).

I'm concerned we won't be able to find a home in Salem because I prefer annual leases (stability, I have a son) and we have two cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Two cats will be hard to find a rental here due to issues with cat pee and scratching at carpet. There are a lot of dog owners in Oregon as it is a dog-friendly state.

Many places do month to month as then the landlord can just give you notice and you would have to move. It is easier to get rid of a bad tenant that way as opposed to breaking a long lease.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I don't know about the landlords in Salem, but I do month to month agreements because it makes it easier to get rid of a bad tenant. Leases in Oregon are much more binding on the landlord than on the tenant. If I have a lease I can't get the tenant out and if the tenant has a lease, all he has to do is pay a small lease breaking fee and he is free. So, I am tied to the full year and the tenant is not. I fail to see any advantage to the lease from the landlord's point of view.

Cats can do extensive and very expensive damage. Dog odors can be cleaned up, cat odors require ripping everything out and replacing it with new.

Also, I have had and my son has had, tenants who open up the foundation so that their cats can get under the house and out of the weather. The cats tear up insulation, damage heat tape, and pee and crap all over underneath the house, making the entire house stink. It costs thousands of dollars to clean that mess up, including damage to plumbing from freezing because cold air was allowed under the house and insulation and heat tape damaged around the plumbing.

I can evaluate the care and training of a dog. How the tenant takes care of their cat is simply a mystery until damage is either done or not done.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
And when they open up the foundation for their cat to get under the house, they open it up for every cat in the neighborhood, including feral cats, to do the same. Oregon has a pretty bad feral cat problem.

It's also been my experience that tenants are more likely to simply leave cats behind when they more for whatever reason.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM

Woah, I have never even heard of this "opening up foundation thing", criminey. I can see why this is problematic.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Out of curiosity, why not look at buying?

Portland is a mess rent or buy, but Salem in my opinion the metrics skew towards buying - tight rental market, decent supply of homes for purchase, median home sales price around 220,000.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 AM

I totally did Bler144. I talked to a realtor and he said since we are moving across the country it would be best if we had our jobs in Salem for at least 6 months before applying for a mortgage. He just said it wasn't the right time for us, which was disappointing because my partner does construction/plumbing/HVAC. We could honestly find a cheap fixer-upper/foreclosure and make most of the repairs ourselves.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxfox View Post
I totally did Bler144. I talked to a realtor and he said since we are moving across the country it would be best if we had our jobs in Salem for at least 6 months before applying for a mortgage. He just said it wasn't the right time for us, which was disappointing because my partner does construction/plumbing/HVAC. We could honestly find a cheap fixer-upper/foreclosure and make most of the repairs ourselves.
No, that's not true. You need to have jobs here, but if they are in the same/similar industry to the ones you are in you can by right away.

Fixers generally require cash though unless you go for a cosmetic fixer.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No, that's not true. You need to have jobs here, but if they are in the same/similar industry to the ones you are in you can by right away.

Fixers generally require cash though unless you go for a cosmetic fixer.
Oh thanks! That's good to know. The realtor seemed kind of like a negative nancy and I am not sure why, but tbf I have student loans and am just out of a professional degree program. He was probably being pragmatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: