Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
At $150,000-$160,000 you will have few choices of homes. Just to give you an idea of how hard it will be...

Right now there are 389 homes for sale in all of Salem. Only 24 (that is 6% of total homes for sale) are under $160,000 that are financeable. The rest require cash due to condition. One is out west in the flats. Two are down south, and the rest are around the downtown core. You won't be able to be picky about where you live if you need to be in that price range. You definitely won't be able to enjoy the country feel of east Salem as that is acreage that is well above that price point.
My wife and I started with an uninhabitable home on 5 acres near Jefferson that was owner financed because of the condition of the property. We set up a used single wide mobile and gutted the house, installing all new wiring, plumbing and finish. Eight years later, with a lot of sweat equity, we came out of it very well. The mobile home was due to my previous experience of living in a construction project. It was very difficult to get any work done when I had to move everything and clean up the dust afterward. Being able to close the door and walk 50 feet to have dinner was worth its weight in gold.

The financial down side to buying on contract is that you don't have many rights. Miss a payment and theoretically you are out and lose your down payment. People need to go into a deal like that with their eyes wide open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My wife and I started with an uninhabitable home on 5 acres near Jefferson that was owner financed because of the condition of the property. We set up a used single wide mobile and gutted the house, installing all new wiring, plumbing and finish. Eight years later, with a lot of sweat equity, we came out of it very well. The mobile home was due to my previous experience of living in a construction project. It was very difficult to get any work done when I had to move everything and clean up the dust afterward. Being able to close the door and walk 50 feet to have dinner was worth its weight in gold.

The financial down side to buying on contract is that you don't have many rights. Miss a payment and theoretically you are out and lose your down payment. People need to go into a deal like that with their eyes wide open.
That was smart. I've gutted most of my home and have lived in it during the renovations. Not so fun, but also not moving the kids around to do it. There are a few land sales contract options out there, but I find most people don't have the needed skills to do the renovations themselves or the cash to hire others.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 AM

9 posts, read 15,405 times
Quote:
That was smart. I've gutted most of my home and have lived in it during the renovations. Not so fun, but also not moving the kids around to do it. There are a few land sales contract options out there, but I find most people don't have the needed skills to do the renovations themselves or the cash to hire others.
What do you think of buying just land and ordering homes to be built with companies like Clayton homes and Hiline homes for those that lack the renovating skills or the will to renovate?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonresident2 View Post
What do you think of buying just land and ordering homes to be built with companies like Clayton homes and Hiline homes for those that lack the renovating skills or the will to renovate?
You will have a hard time finding a lot to make that work. I don't think it is realistic.

At the price point you want to be at, you will need to get comfortable renovating.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 15,405 times
Quote:
You will have a hard time finding a lot to make that work. I don't think it is realistic.

At the price point you want to be at, you will need to get comfortable renovating.
What are the factors that make that unrealistic?

Silverfall, thank you for your kindness in sharing your experiences and perspective.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonresident2 View Post
What are the factors that make that unrealistic?

Silverfall, thank you for your kindness in sharing your experiences and perspective.
The cost of the lot, developing the lot, and finding a lot that will accept a manufactured home like Clayton. Hiline are stick built so those would be easier, but you can't do it for that price point. The only lots that would be available to you would be lots that an owner subdivides and they will typically dictate what can and can't be on a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem