Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,401 times

Advertisements

I am an Anthropology major transferring to the University of Utah because my husband's job is relocating us to the Salt Lake area. I was born and raised in the LDS faith but I left the church 7 years ago. I have no problem living in an area that is mostly LDS because I understand and respect the culture (plus, my relatives will love to come visit me especially since they can also visit the Family History Center, Temple Square, and other important spots).

I no longer have a religion, but I study religion, so I am curious about what the cultural atmosphere is like at the University of Utah. The experience of higher education can be a challenge to the beliefs of young people, and I wonder what the culture is like on campus in an area that is largely LDS? This is a broad question, so I expect diverse answers. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Actually, my guess is that the University of Utah campus is pretty diverse these days. I graduated from the 'U' years ago and it was pretty diverse even then.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I know 2 young men from the U - actually, one graduated in May - but they are not LDS and they have plenty of friends, girls, parties, etc. The U attracts a lot of out of state people, or so I've heard.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM

90 posts, read 294,349 times
The University of Utah is first and foremost a large research institution. Professors are recruited from all around the world. The U has many policies in place to ensure academic freedom. Every so often you get a student who comes along and challenges the content of a course, claiming that it offends them, to which the University generally responds by developing a policy supporting the professor's right to teach what they want and telling the student to deal with it, or drop it. The state legislature is definitely the bigger challenge when it comes to funding, but as far as I know it doesn't pay too much attention to the U's academics (particularly in the College of Humanities, as that obviously is one of the lower budget items compared to the medical school and such).

The student body is also pretty diverse by Utah standards, with a surprising number of out of state students (often people who love outdoor recreation and came to be close to school and nature). I'm sure the majority of students on the campus are LDS, but it's a huge campus, therefore there are enough people for anyone to find their own circle of friends that suits them best. I have several non-LDS friends at the U, or who have recently graduated, and they were all very happy with the experience.

Finally, the rivalry between BYU and the U of U persists into the the academic realm with the U of U basically set up as the anti-BYU. This means that the U takes particular care to avoid the accusations BYU has faced of professors being censored or fired for contradicting LDS church teachings.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,241 times
I think being raised LDS or being in a LDS family and not practicing is probably the majority at the U.

You should be fine.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 AM

224 posts, read 640,325 times
If you are worried about it being predominantly LDS then as has been said you shouldn't have much to worry about as that is not the dominant culture on campus.

My last experience there was 10 years ago and I found it much the same as it was 30 years ago. Lots of opportunity for anything you want. A little bit of anti BYU/LDS but still plenty of practicing mormons as well. There are active fraternity/sororities and student involvement in other activities is good.

It is not as much a commuter college as it used to be with many locals choosing SLCC or UVU instead and the U actively encouraging non-Utahns to attend. Lots of international students. As a commuting student I tended to go to class, hang out at the library and go home and wasn't involved in much else. You'll find lots of older students who are in school for the education and not for campus life. You can be as involved or uninvolved as you want.

The college of Anthropology will probably be your main focus. It was my first major and back then at least it did not attract active LDS students.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
The college of Anthropology will probably be your main focus. It was my first major and back then at least it did not attract active LDS students.
Did you ever take a class from Charles Dibble?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Did you ever take a class from Charles Dibble?
I wish I could say yes. He was legendary. We did use his book as text though.

I just read this tonight. I felt it was a fairly good sample of the students who go to the U.
The Time of Their Lives :: Continuum

Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSandy View Post
I wish I could say yes. He was legendary. We did use his book as text though.
I guess I was there back in legendary times. I took two classes from him. Talk about a mesmerizing professor!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Talk about a mesmerizing professor!
Oh yeah, rub it in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area